Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 44513 times)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
I thought it was hilarious the first time, but it very quickly got tired. I think by the third game I was properly done with it, and no amount of expansions could make the central "joke" fresh again.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
It's shit.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
Only played it once, but it was hilarious.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
I'm in Team It's-Shit.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
CAH can be fun with the right group of people. If there's any worth to it is in trying to figure out what each opponent finds funny so that you can tailor your answers to each one and try and win more points. So you have to play to win, and be clever about it.

You could argue that that gameplay would work better with a set of cards which weren't so obviously trying to be controversial though.

You mean like Apples to Apples? Fantastic Storytelling? SuperFight? The MetaGame?

Cards against Humanity is shit and I honestly find myself thinking less of people that play it  with any degree of frequency.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
CAH can be fun with the right group of people. If there's any worth to it is in trying to figure out what each opponent finds funny so that you can tailor your answers to each one and try and win more points. So you have to play to win, and be clever about it.

You could argue that that gameplay would work better with a set of cards which weren't so obviously trying to be controversial though.

You mean like Apples to Apples? Fantastic Storytelling? SuperFight? The MetaGame?

Cards against Humanity is shit and I honestly find myself thinking less of people that play it  with any degree of frequency.

I can't imagine anyone playing it frequently. I think I've played it three times in three years and that was plenty.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I've played it twice, and there was definitely some diminishing returns.  However, that first game was so funny that it's existence is justified.  I'm sure it can be shit, particularly if people are just going for shock value or non-sequitors.  With genuinely witty people, who are trying to fit theit cards to the question in a surprising but logical way, it can be genuinely very funny.  I'm not someone who thinks just saying the most shocking thing that springs to mind is funny, or that placing down cards that say, "Running out of semen - The Hillsborough story" is the height of wit, incidentally. 

There are better games which rely on you and your friends coming up with something funny to work, of course.  Funemployed is a great one.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Sagrada arrived today, and it's fudging gorgeous. Along with Near and Far and Sky Tango its been a week for gorgeous games entering the cavalcade household.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Ooh, those are purdy.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #699: July 07, 2017, 04:23:24 AM »
Stone Age: it's educational!  At least that was my excuse for getting it.  The boy is learning all about this stuff at school at the moment (as the Stone Age is part of the Year 3 National Curriculum) so this seemed like an obvious purchase.

It's another German worker-placement game.  You send out your little tribesmen to gather resources, hunt for food, construct buildings or collect slightly more abstract "Civilisation Cards" which give you points at the end of the game.  Thematically it's really solid, it's got a nice big board with a score track running round the edge, lots of nice little components and even a (slightly smelly) leather dice cup.  It's a nice attractive game.  And for us it's sparked a number of interesting conversations about the Stone Age, ranging from why gold comes from rivers to the benefit of agriculture (and why Daddy's approach of building up a massive tribe without securing food resources first was definitely a bad idea).  It's definitely hit the spot in that respect.

In play... it's perhaps a little dry.  There's very little player interaction, barring some very mild contention for resources, and you don't really build stuff as much as just collect cards and tokens so there's none of the sense of ownership over your own creations that you get in, say, Agricola.  Also a lot of the scoring happens at end-game, meaning it can be a little hard to track who's "winning" at any point, thus further reducing any competitive slant it might have had.  It certainly lacks the massive variety and terrifying precision balance of Caverna, which I think is a far better game if you're a fan of this genre, although in its defence Stone Age is much simpler and easier to set up and therefore probably more likely to get a regular outing.

Anyway, we like it, although for us that's probably as much to do with the theme as with the actual mechanics of the game.  Nice to get something in this genre that doesn't take an hour to set up and half a day to play, at least.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #700: July 17, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »
A bit of Burgle Bros this weekend, a co-operative heist game with loads of style that takes a surprising amount of space to play despite coming in a really dinky little box.

Your team has to break into a three-storey building, crack three safes and escape using the helipad on the roof.  Room tiles are randomised so the game has a real rogue-like quality to it, as you inch slowly through the building trying to identify key locations.  Guards patrol as you play and a lot of the game's strategy revolves around how you deal with them; whether sneaking around and trying to remain out of sight, or brazenly setting off alarms to distract them and send them to the wrong locations.

In play it is very much in the mould of Pandemic or Flash Point, where you take four actions, random shit happens then the next player takes four actions.  The whole game IS very random which adds to the replayability but also makes it pretty challenging.  We've played three times, won once, but on the other two goes we didn't stand a chance.

I like the style of this a lot, every player has plenty to do and there are always some surprises in store; however that randomness will start to grate over time.  I wonder if we'll still be playing it in six months' time.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #701: July 17, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
Also, Exploding Kittens.  Which is the gaming equivalent of one of those achingly trendy craft beer establishments where beer costs seven pounds a pint, absolutely everybody has a beard including all the women, and when you order chips they inexplicably get served in a slipper.

It's hugely expensive for what you get (basically £20 for one small deck of cards), the artwork is awful yet inexplicably the game's major selling point, and I really really wanted to hate it.  But, god dammit, it's actually really fun.  You basically take it turns to draw cards and if you draw an Exploding Kitten, you lose; unless you have cards that can counter that. Rounds are short and sweet, there's loads of direct player interaction and you get to screw over your opponents and yes, ultimately it's just Hipster Uno but everyone who played it had a good time.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #702: July 17, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
Exploding Kittens is like Fluxx except actually good. The removal of Fluxx's complicated and often-unattainable victory conditions has helped immeasurably with how unfair the game can feel, and speeds the whole process up as people get knocked out. I'm also not a fan of the artwork - Matthew Inman's style works for his anarchic webcomic, The Oatmeal (for anyone unfamiliar with his oeuvre), but it lacks the easy readability you really need in a card game.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #703: July 18, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »
Yeah, we like Exploding Kittens as a once-in-a-while game. The Expansion is fun as well. The NSFW deck isn't worth writing home about, though. Especially if you have an easily offended family.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #704: July 19, 2017, 03:47:13 PM »
A bit of Burgle Bros this weekend, a co-operative heist game with loads of style that takes a surprising amount of space to play despite coming in a really dinky little box.

Your team has to break into a three-storey building, crack three safes and escape using the helipad on the roof.  Room tiles are randomised so the game has a real rogue-like quality to it, as you inch slowly through the building trying to identify key locations.  Guards patrol as you play and a lot of the game's strategy revolves around how you deal with them; whether sneaking around and trying to remain out of sight, or brazenly setting off alarms to distract them and send them to the wrong locations.

In play it is very much in the mould of Pandemic or Flash Point, where you take four actions, random shit happens then the next player takes four actions.  The whole game IS very random which adds to the replayability but also makes it pretty challenging.  We've played three times, won once, but on the other two goes we didn't stand a chance.

I like the style of this a lot, every player has plenty to do and there are always some surprises in store; however that randomness will start to grate over time.  I wonder if we'll still be playing it in six months' time.

Yeah it's brilliant, the first game I got on kickstarter and one of our favs. We got the recent 2 player deduction game based on this theme too by the same designer.