Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 40091 times)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #720: August 02, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
I've been looking at getting that Turtles Shadows of the Past, that looks pretty decent dungeon crawler, will check those other games Cav mentions as sound decent, especially one deck dungeon.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #721: August 12, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »
Fallout 4 boardgame - had missed that announcement. I am very excited though. Also got One Deck Dungeon the other day for my birthday, looks great but not had a go yet, just been watching some videos to help me get the game down. A very surprisingly small box, and a glorious amount of dice. Also an expansion coming out soon.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #722: August 12, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »
Not sure about Clank on first play.  It's quite fiddly, loads and loads of different types of tokens and a surprisingly long setup time.  The actual deck-building mechanic (draw five cards each turn, buy new ones which go into your discard pile, shuffle the discard pile when you've been through all your cards) is identical to house favourite Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle so we had no trouble getting to grips with the game but with so many things to track each turn (boots, swords, skill points, gold) it seems slightly over-complicated for what we all thought would be an enjoyable romp.  I'm sure it'll improve with repeated play but I think we were all a bit underwhelmed - maybe we were all just playing a bit cautiously as we weren't sure what the impact of the clank mechanic would be?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #723: August 14, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »
I can't say it's particularly complex, or set up is particularly onerous. Most people have been up and running with a 5 minute rules run-through - it's considered a "Medium Light" on BGG, which feels about right. It's a deck builder with a spatial aspect to it and the clank wraps an element of push your luck to the game - but it is what it is. Drawing the clank out of the bag is obviously random and can screw you over unfairly, but that's part of the point. It's fairly group dependent, as you want people to push things to the edge and get caught out (or do an incredible escape). I've had it hit more often than not in most groups - the main complaints about it have been from more hardcore gamers who have felt it's too light. Unlike DungeonQuest (which I think it has many similarities to) I like how the people who've exited the dungeon still have a stake in the game.

I think its main problem is something mitigated slightly by the Sunken Treasures expansion, which is it isn't possible to thin and refine your deck in any meaningful way - but the games are so quick that's not much of an issue.

In other gaming news - Roll Player. Which is a sort of DnD character creation Sagrada - what a brain burny, incredibly complex little bastard of a game this is. I'm not usually prone to AP, but by god, I was in this. Worth a look if you like the concept, though pricey, and difficult to get.

Oh, and Burgle Bros is out as an app!