Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 46295 times)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #720: August 02, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
I've been looking at getting that Turtles Shadows of the Past, that looks pretty decent dungeon crawler, will check those other games Cav mentions as sound decent, especially one deck dungeon.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #721: August 12, 2017, 04:02:24 PM »
Fallout 4 boardgame - had missed that announcement. I am very excited though. Also got One Deck Dungeon the other day for my birthday, looks great but not had a go yet, just been watching some videos to help me get the game down. A very surprisingly small box, and a glorious amount of dice. Also an expansion coming out soon.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #722: August 12, 2017, 04:43:01 PM »
Not sure about Clank on first play.  It's quite fiddly, loads and loads of different types of tokens and a surprisingly long setup time.  The actual deck-building mechanic (draw five cards each turn, buy new ones which go into your discard pile, shuffle the discard pile when you've been through all your cards) is identical to house favourite Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle so we had no trouble getting to grips with the game but with so many things to track each turn (boots, swords, skill points, gold) it seems slightly over-complicated for what we all thought would be an enjoyable romp.  I'm sure it'll improve with repeated play but I think we were all a bit underwhelmed - maybe we were all just playing a bit cautiously as we weren't sure what the impact of the clank mechanic would be?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #723: August 14, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »
I can't say it's particularly complex, or set up is particularly onerous. Most people have been up and running with a 5 minute rules run-through - it's considered a "Medium Light" on BGG, which feels about right. It's a deck builder with a spatial aspect to it and the clank wraps an element of push your luck to the game - but it is what it is. Drawing the clank out of the bag is obviously random and can screw you over unfairly, but that's part of the point. It's fairly group dependent, as you want people to push things to the edge and get caught out (or do an incredible escape). I've had it hit more often than not in most groups - the main complaints about it have been from more hardcore gamers who have felt it's too light. Unlike DungeonQuest (which I think it has many similarities to) I like how the people who've exited the dungeon still have a stake in the game.

I think its main problem is something mitigated slightly by the Sunken Treasures expansion, which is it isn't possible to thin and refine your deck in any meaningful way - but the games are so quick that's not much of an issue.

In other gaming news - Roll Player. Which is a sort of DnD character creation Sagrada - what a brain burny, incredibly complex little bastard of a game this is. I'm not usually prone to AP, but by god, I was in this. Worth a look if you like the concept, though pricey, and difficult to get.

Oh, and Burgle Bros is out as an app!

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #724: August 24, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
The last couple of days at work, we've actually managed to play board games! Two new arrivals - Bärenpark, a bear sanctuary construction game, and another hidden roles game, this time with a Cold War theme, Secrets.

Bärenpark has each player start with a 5x5 park to fill, and by covering different squares marked with icons you can get new things to place - utilities like toilets, paths and waterways, which don't score points but let you fetch more worthwhile things; indoor bear enclosures which are worth fewer points if you're not the first person to add one to your park; or unique outdoor enclosures which are worth big points but are often awkwardly-shaped. You can also expand your park with a new board (up to four), and each board has one special square which can't be built on, but gets filled with a monument if you complete the rest of the board.

I spent too much of the game trying to expand my park using pointless green elements and hoping that the bear statue monuments would catch me up, but I ended up losing pretty convincingly. This was just a two-player game though, and I expect that with 3 or 4 there'd be a closer race, as the high-point bits would be more spread out.

Secrets was great, but again we were playing with the minimum (4), so quite early on myself and two of the other players managed to work out what team everyone else was on and that took a lot of the tension and guesswork out of it - with only one more at the table, I think there'd have been enough information missing to keep us on our toes 'til much closer to the end.

Broadly speaking, the goal is to be on the team - KGB or CIA - with the highest score at the end, based on intelligence assets passed between players (with an element of bluffing, because some cards are worth less than others, and some cancel each other out), but you only get to look at your own assigned team at the start of the game. And players have a number of opportunities to swap their own and others' teams (sometimes secretly) so you might not know whose team you're on. Or you could end up with the worst score in the game and think you're doomed, only to end up winning - because a Hippy wins if they have the lowest individual score, regardless of how the CIA or KGB shake out.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #725: August 30, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »
Finally got a game of One Deck Dungeon in last night, lost spectacularly but enjoyed it. From what I picked up I think my initial doors to explore deal included 3 of the hardest monsters. I had to flee from the first 2 and then the 3rd almost killed me instantly so struggled to recover from there.

Nice solo game though, easier to play and work out that say the Space Marine assault game that I usually play solo.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #726: October 27, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »
Evolution: The Beginning - a version of Evolution for idiots. Actually almost as good as the real thing, and far easier to teach. Interesting.

Is Evolution good?  It looks good.  Starting to hunt around for Christmas presents now and this one stands out.  Not sure whether to go for the base game or The Beginning though - any thoughts?

Caverna Cave vs Cave is a likely purchase too.  We've had a bit of a resurgence of All Creatures Big and Small in our household and it's getting quite competitive.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #727: November 08, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »
My copy of Baseball Highlights 2045 turned up, which I ordered on kickstarter many moons ago. Opened and read the rules, seems great. I look forward to never getting a chance to play it though as the missus was instantly turned off by the sports theme.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #728: November 10, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
Evolution: The Beginning - a version of Evolution for idiots. Actually almost as good as the real thing, and far easier to teach. Interesting.

Is Evolution good?  It looks good.  Starting to hunt around for Christmas presents now and this one stands out.  Not sure whether to go for the base game or The Beginning though - any thoughts?

Caverna Cave vs Cave is a likely purchase too.  We've had a bit of a resurgence of All Creatures Big and Small in our household and it's getting quite competitive.

Evolution is good - I have it and the Flight expansion. The latest version is Evolution Climate. My problem with it, is while it's quick to play, and handles high player counts well, Evolution: The Beginning is such a beautiful lightweight version of it, it just makes me annoyed at some of the clunk in the bigger version.

Cave vs Cave is good - though replayability isn't stellar. I like it a lot though.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #729: November 15, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
I traded Gloomhaven for Too Many Bones. Literally the biggest parcel I've ever posted.

Also got a KS version of Santorini this week. And Tuscany for Viticulture! Whoop!

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #730: November 17, 2017, 05:08:13 AM »
I was in bed ill all of yesterday, and so was watching tabletop on YT, and both Champions of Midgard and and Star Trek 5 year mission seemed great. Anyone got them? I love the communications error element of Star Trek, meaning you can't speak to each other when active, as prevents any potential dominant players who try to decide everything from doing just that.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #731: November 21, 2017, 04:22:18 AM »
Imperial assault co-op app official announced. Now want that, how enjoyable would playing it solo be using multiple characters?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #732: November 23, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
Modiphius (sp?) are having a Black Friday sale, which unfortunately doesn't include their ever RPG fare like Star Trek Adventures or Tales from the Loop, but does include their Thunderbirds board game (designed by Matt Leacock of Pandemic, and with art, I believe, by our own Hapimeses). If it's any good at all (anyone played it?), £30 for the base game and all the expansions seems like an utter steal.