Username: Password:

Author Topic: PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds  (Read 971 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds
« Topic Start: August 09, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »
Even though we've (amazingly) failed to kill anyone yet, I've been playing this with my son and it's excellent.

Pretty much a rehash of similar mods and the DayZ concept. Single island, roughly a hundred people, one life, battle royale. Incredibly tense, and we've been playing in Duo mode, where we play as a team of two.

So far our deaths have included an incredible car chase with me driving and Rowan shooting out of the window like a Jason Statham movie for about 3km until we were gunned down after getting stuck on a fence. Stealing a motorbike but driving into a trap and getting gunned down (with Rowan hilariously getting shot off the back of the bike, me panicking and driving into a tree). And our favorite one, where we were absolutely tooled up, thought we were surprising someone in a house, only to find it was all a trap and getting gunned down by someone hiding outside. There's a lot of getting gunned down :D

Performance is a disgrace. My newish laptop is fine, but my desktop (which is no slouch) struggles a bit which is a disgrace. it looks absolute arse. But like DayZ it's the stories it serves up. My other two kids run between the two monitors shouting and screaming in surprise - like it's a Hunger Games for real. The tension is immense. The chat sounds like a SEAL team as we co-ordinate building sweeps. Then someone sees us and everyone starts screaming and we accidentally drop a grenade at our feet and commit suicide. Or get gunned down.

It's quite realistic...

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds
« Reply #1: August 10, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »
As I mentioned in PWB, my PC struggles into a single-figure framerate, but I still enjoyed the single round I've played so far.

Dropped out of the plane in the middle of a mass exodus, but managed to escape the press unscathed and head off to a smaller settlement. While looting a large house (where I'd just picked up an assault rifle and some armour), another player dashed in, we exchanged frantic fire, then he fled. I didn't see anyone else for the remainder of the game, then got distracted and the electric field got me.

It's brilliant.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #2: August 10, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »
FPP mode is where it's at. Think I'm becoming a little obsessed. Removing the advantage of the third person camera makes it amazingly tense. Killed my first person, and made the top ten for the first time. Palms were Eminem levels of sweatyness.

Hid in a house for 20 minutes with my gun pointed at a door, shitting myself at every footstep or bang. Probably my approach if I was put in the situation for real...

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 10, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
I watch a lot of this on streams when I have time to kill where I can't game, it does look excellent. I know they have mentioned console versions, it's still technically in early release mode on PC isn't it?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #4: August 10, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
Yes - it's still on Steam Early Access. I think it's coming to Xbox Early Access soon. I can't see anything other than the Scorpion being able to run it, and it'll need totally retooled for a pad, but I think it could be an enormous hit on console. PS4 version due in 2018.

My only criticism of it is that your survival ultimately depends on whether you get a vehicle or a decent weapon - but I guess the complete randomness of it is part of the fun. I'd like to see one air vehicle, perhaps heavily fuel limited. And perhaps some way of forming alliances with nearby players - which would inevitably break down as the player count dropped....

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 10, 2017, 11:24:09 AM »
See I assumed it did have group play as often see either teams of streamers or them against little groups or pairs that are clearly co-ordinating.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #6: August 10, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
You can play in single, duo or squad modes. I was meaning more I'd appreciate some way of generating spontaneous alliances in the single or duo modes.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #7: August 11, 2017, 04:20:53 AM »
Is there any non-squad communication option? Proximity voice chat, text chat?

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 12, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
ah right, I get you, that would be good. Is there friendly fire? I feel like you should be able to squad up but that friendly fire should always be on. Is that the case?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #9: August 13, 2017, 06:29:47 AM »
Yeah, but team kills have a pretty harsh penalty, I think?

My new PC has arrived, and is mostly set up; once our internet is restored (it's been off got more than a week now...), I'll see how high the sliders will go, before I get repeatedly murdered.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #10: August 14, 2017, 06:28:44 AM »
Unless the PC is a monster, view distance to ultra, everything else to low. It looks like shit at any setting (indeed, arguably worse at high detail). You need performance at all costs.

I have now killed 3 people and came fourth once. To say the latter was one of the most tense gaming experiences I have ever had would be understating it.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #11: August 15, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
I dunno, the menu screen looks okay with everything on Ultra... [emoji14]

A second engineer callout (this time to our house, not just the exchange box thing) has determined that the problem with our internet is, in fact, a fucked modem. Spoke to the ISP again today, and they're fast-tracking a new one out, hopefully to arrive tomorrow. It's been 10 days already. Things are so bad I'm currently mooching WiFi in Tesco.

Really looking forward to getting back online and giving this a go.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #12: August 16, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
Internet restored, so to celebrate I had a go on a first-person server. Dropped in a quiet area; found level 2 body armour, a helmet, a backpack, and a crossbow; got run over by a car. #42.

Not sure how I feel about the movement in first person. It feels a bit floaty on first impressions, but maybe it's something I'd get used to. I don't think I've quite found the sweet spot on mouse sensitivity, either, though.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #13: August 16, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
I killed someone!

It was terribly exciting. He had a pistol; I had a shotgun. Then I was gunned down in turn as my 4x4 trundled weakly across a bridge. #30.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 17, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
I rarely see anyone using 1st person mode other than for scoped aiming. I've been watching someone called 'gamergirlally' or something like that on twitch as she seems to have a nice balance of sparse commentary, quiet chat room and is good at the game. Watched about 5 or 6 rounds of hers and she's been virtually top 10 in all of them even though she always solo's it. I've never really enjoyed watching streams before other than quick blasts to see if I want a game but am loving this.