Username: Password:

Author Topic: Play Want Bin - Octogenarian Edition  (Read 908 times)

Re: Play Want Bin - Octogenarian Edition
« Reply #15: October 12, 2017, 04:58:45 AM »
I am just playing Fortnite: Battle Royale. That’s all.

It’s fun, I’m sure there are things about it that aren’t as good as PUBG but it’s a very addictive game, plays pretty well and has some interesting mechanics. From the online chat it sounds like there’re a fair amount of refinements to be made (including a chat feature! That’s right a chat ‘feature’) but the basic game in solo mode is keeping me entertained. And if their goal is to get people interested in the PvE portion then it’s probably working, I’ll happily jump into that when it goes free to play too.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #16: October 12, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »
I downloaded that, but haven't gotten as far as actually booting it up yet.

Shadow of War really is just Mordor++; more regions, more orcs, more loot, more microtransactions. I don't remember just getting around being as much work in the first game, though; seems like I can't go eight feet without tripping over a half-dozen uruks, and being ambushed by two captains in the middle of the ensuing fight.

Fun, though. Every time I'm not playing it, I can't wait to get back in.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #17: October 13, 2017, 07:41:49 AM »
Additional PLAY:

Yono And The Celestial Elephants - Was excited about this, it looks lovely and right up my street, but it's really slow and a bit dull. There's too much filler text about things that aren't important at all and not much actual character, despite the charm it has visually. The puzzles are also really basic and it's just overall not very fulfilling. Surprised it's getting some rave reviews... it's a 6 at best, he says putting his reviewer hat back on for five minutes. Probably doesn't help I finished Oceanhorn not long back, which was equally hollow in the same way... this is just giving me flashbacks to that. Shame really.

FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS NEXT WEEK. You with me, Gar?!?

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 13, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
I... don’t know. I love Hyrule Warriors beyond all reason but I don’t have any kind of connection with the Fire Emblem franchise. I’ve played a few hours of Awakenings and a bit of that F2P thing, that’s it. This feels like fan service for something I’m not really a fan of.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #19: October 13, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
See, I'm going the other way on this one. I don't have much of an affinity with the FE franchise, but I loved Hyrule Warriors so much that I'm hoping that side of things is going to draw me into a world I wouldn't normally venture into. It won't make me care for the real thing, but I think it'll be fun.

Well, maybe.

Offline Samor

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 18, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »
Want

A Switch with Mario Odyssey - we live in a time where this and Breath of the Wild came out, yes, I'm assuming this is going to be probably GOTY because it probably will be. I don't wanna' have to buy a Switch for it, but whatever.

me too, but I also still want a PS4 at some point...

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #21: October 18, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »
Additional PLAY:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Probably dumb of me to try and get back into this considering Fire Emblem and Mario are about to come out, but I haven't played it in ages and jumped back in last night. Highlights include:

(click to show/hide)

Fun times.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 21, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
Been dipping into a few games lately, trying to find something to go alongside my ongoing Xenoblade playthrough.

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China.  A pretty decent 2D side-scrolling stealth game that's simply emphasised that I don't have the temperament for stealth games: I have neither the patience to watch guards walking around endlessly waiting for the perfect moment, nor the drive to repeat sections over and over to get perfect scores.  So my half-arsed attempts at being sneaky normally end up with me murdering everyone violently and getting the lowest possible ranking.  Not one for me, really.

We Are Doomed: PS+ shovelware that's basically a gaudy, unlikeable Geometry Wars clone.  Looks and plays like a free demo you'd get with a programming language.

Hue: A much, much better PS+ offering that's halfway between Limbo and Thomas Was Alone.  Gentle colour-based platforming puzzles - I think I'll be coming back to this one.

Invisible, Inc: This is fantastic but so, so hard.  Again stealth isn't my strong point (although turn-based games probably are) and I just keep getting my arse kicked on level 2.  I'm probably missing something fundamental. But I do really want to go back and have another go.  Anyone actually any good at this?

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23: October 22, 2017, 05:19:44 AM »
Invisible, Inc: This is fantastic but so, so hard.  Again stealth isn't my strong point (although turn-based games probably are) and I just keep getting my arse kicked on level 2.  I'm probably missing something fundamental. But I do really want to go back and have another go.  Anyone actually any good at this?

I got quite a way into this, but then realised that my team build was very, very wrong.  I keep meaning to go back because it is excellent, but other stuff is  in the way.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 22, 2017, 06:51:41 AM »
I'm really getting into it now.  I think it's hard at first because it looks a bit like XCOM and it plays a bit like XCOM so you naturally approach it in the same sort of way, as a slow-build story game where you've got the time to build up your squad and develop your tactics.  In actual fact, though, it's really a roguelike - each "campaign" consists of a handful of procedurally-generated levels where the idea is to desperately patch yourself up into something vaguely capable of tackling the end-game while all the time you know everything can all unravel very rapidly within the space of a single turn.  It's actually got more in common with something like FTL than it does XCOM, and repeat playthroughs and noble failures are absolutely expected of you.  Taken on its own terms it's absolutely fantastic, and a couple of the levels I've done last night and this morning have been some of the tensest gaming moments I've had for a very long time.

The trophy percentages are hilarious though.  Only something like 2% of players have even survived more than a couple of missions on Beginner level.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 25, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »
A few late-month Plays:

Slime Rancher - I've been playing this a bit today with my son.  It's sort of relaxing and hypnotic.  I just stared at it for hours, running around hoovering up slimes and using there poo to buy more pens to keep slimes.  I'm not sure if there's a lot of depth, but there's a bunch of stuff to unlock with poo money.  I found the music painful, for reasons I will go into later.

Stories Untold - A horror text adventure with a twist, basically.  It's very good, dripping in atmosphere, and with a neat recreation of the 80s.  They do some very clever stuff with the medium, breaking the fourth wall in some quite unsettling ways.  I'm only halfway through, having done two of the four short stories, but I'll definitely finish it.

Hitman - This is pretty cool, isn't it?  The internal logic of the Hitman games is completely mad though, of course.  Apparently if I was to knock, say, Garwoofoo unconscious in his work toilet (having of course poisoned him by pouring rat poison into his tea in front of a room full of people) and then walked back into the office wearing his clothes everyone would just assume I was him.  I might try this just to see if it's accurate, so consider this fair warning, Gar.

Warhammer Total War - I've gone back to this after getting the Wood Elves expansion in a sale, and it is still the best Total War game, in my opinion.  Your milage may vary, of course - it depends on whether you consider the inclusion of dragons and walking trees a welcome addition to the franchise, or whether you consider it a sad dilution of the series' vision.  Either view is completely valid.  Personally, I love a good walking tree, so it works for me.  Also, shamefully, I know more about the Warhammer universe than actual history, so for me it actually feels more historically accurate than the rest of the series.

Stephen's Sausage Roll - It's odd how a game about rolling sausages around and grilling them can be so completely joyless, but there you go.  SSR is a brutally hard puzzle game which combines awkward controls with feindishly difficult single-solution puzzles.  It is satisfying to solve one of them, but each puzzle is such a chore that the sense of relief is tempered by the realisation that all there is to do in the game is more of the same shit.  There is a kind of genius in the puzzle mechanics, to be honest, and it is genuinely amazing that it avoids that whole ramp puzzle game thing of teaching you methods that you will use on later puzzles.  Instead, each puzzle is it's own thing rather than an expansion of previous puzzles.  It's own deeply frustrating, borderline depressing thing.  I think it will really appeal to a certain type of person who loves a pointless challenge and sees games like Neo sees the world at the end of The Matrix 3 - a stream of green numbers dripping down a screen with all trace of beauty and humanity stripped away.  Jonathan Blow really likes it apparently.

and a Bin. -

I've got a really nasty flu virus at the moment, which is bad enough, but there's a chance it might have damaged my hearing.  Since I got ill a week ago, I've had deafening tinittus in first one ear, and now both.  I've looked this up and it can happen, it's due to fluid from my blocked sinuses getting caught behind the ear drum I think.  The internet reckons it will probably be permenant.  My doctor says it should go away eventually, but it could be months.  All sound is distorted.  Voices sound like robots, and music all sounds painfully off-key.  I can't watch TV or movies as a result, or really play games to distract myself (all the above apart from Slime Rancher and Stories Untold were from before I got ill) and I can't really sleep. I've found that a white noise recording of rain falling on a pond helps a bit, and is the only way I can get any sleep.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 25, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
Sorry about your hearing problem, felt, hope it goes over time.  Tinnitus is a terrible thing, and ears are a complex area.  I spent most of my childhood suffering from intermittent bouts of dizziness and vomiting, and was dragged from one doctor to another as they put me on a succession of increasingly unpalatable treatments for migraine.  Turns out (as I worked out myself in my 20s), it was actually vertigo caused by unusually prodigious amounts of earwax, and easily treated using an over-the-counter remedy.  Hope you solve your problem quicker than I solved mine.

I could talk about Slime Rancher for hours.  I think it's a wonderful game.  There's probably more to it than you think, too: if you haven't unlocked the Lab, or got to the Glass Desert, you haven't seen a lot of what it has to offer.  My boy and I even spent a couple of hours this afternoon (it's half-term) diligently mapping and replanning our ranch layout on lots of bits of paper, after some of our Largo cross-breeds turned out to be a lot more exuberant than we anticipated.  It kind of gets under your skin in a way I can't fully describe, and it's my game of the year by some distance.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 25, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
Thanks, Gar.  I hope it will go back to normal, or something close to normal.  I could live with the ringing (I'm getting a high-pitched whistle actually) more than the distortion.  I think one ear is hearing a different pitch to the other, so all music is horrifically discordant.  The ringing is horrible, but the discordance is ruining any films, TV, and games I want to watch or play, and of course I can't listen to music at all, never mind play it, so my guitar playing might be over.  I'm pretty despairing at the moment because for all my googling I can't find any instances of it getting better for anyone.  But the doctor said it should, so I do have some hope.

Aaaanyway...  Slime Rancher.  I haven't unlocked those things yet, so I'm looking forward to them.  I've found about four or five basic slime types - the pink ones, the blue rock ones, the flying ones that come out tonight, the cat ones, and the evil rainbow rock ones, plus all the varieties they turn into when they eat each other's poo.  For the uninitiated, that is not a typo.  I was playing it with my son, but I think my experience of this as a father-son co-op game is rather different to your own.  Gabe is only four, and this is the first first-person-perspective game he's ever played, so I find it impressive that he can navigate the map at all.  He does that FPS noob thing of putting the camera to the horizen then leaving the right stick alone and just sidestepping around facing in one direction.  He randomly hoovers stuff up and fires it out, so when his turn is over and it's my turn again, the ranch is a mess of various large hybrids all out of their pens and causing havoc.  It's great.  It does mean my chickens tend to have a rough time of it though.  He likes the cat slimes, and just wants to look at them, usually.  He likes how they clump together and he likes firing a squareberry into their pen and seeing them all play with it (this actually makes them purr, much to Gabe's delight!)  If a rainbow slime appears, priority one is to protect the cats.  We found a really big cat in a cave as well.  I fired a few chickens into it before realising that Gabe might have found this disturbing and left it alone.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #28: October 25, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
Additional Play

I've got put onto Opus Magnum, an Early-Access game about building machines to transmute and combine elements to create... stuff. It's essentially little programming puzzles - you put together mechanical devices and give each one a sequence of instructions to follow to, for instance, transmute lead into gold.
(click to show/hide)

Or, for some reason, make face powder.
(click to show/hide)

I've recently been playing around with a thing called "code golf", which is taking a programming function and reducing it to the shortest number of characters (as anyone who followed me on Twitter a few weeks ago will have seen), and this is scratching the same part of my brain. It's all about optimising the instructions or using the lowest-cost parts or making the most compact machine, even though you don't get any actual in-game reward for any of it - just your own satisfaction.

The user interface is a bit annoying - Esc does different things at different times, the drag-and-drop method of instruction placement has caught me out a couple of times, and it took me a long time to realise that you can leave gaps on the timeline to pause devices rather than having to give them something to do every step - but despite (or maybe because of) this I've still been very pleased with the transmutation engines I've constructed so far (and I'm only on chapter one).

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #29: October 25, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »
I've seen Opus Magnum everywhere on my Twitter feed... it looks fascinating, and yet I know I'll never click with it. Some I wish we'd been involved with, but couldn't for the life of me work out for myself. Maybe my brain doesn't work that way. :(

Additional PLAY:

Pinball FX3 - Heavily back into the pinball, which seems to always be my go-to game. My Desert Island Disc, if you will. Pinball FX 3 is lovely, most of my tables carried over and now I'm determined to get as many trophies from it as I can. Since all the tables now only have one each and they're not entirely crazy as they were before, I think I can do some damage. Some are still basically 'clear all the modes and finish Wizard Mode', which is annoying, but others are within reach. Pinball and trophies? My two biggest weaknesses...