Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 34431 times)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
I thought it was hilarious the first time, but it very quickly got tired. I think by the third game I was properly done with it, and no amount of expansions could make the central "joke" fresh again.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
It's shit.

Online Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
Only played it once, but it was hilarious.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
I'm in Team It's-Shit.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
CAH can be fun with the right group of people. If there's any worth to it is in trying to figure out what each opponent finds funny so that you can tailor your answers to each one and try and win more points. So you have to play to win, and be clever about it.

You could argue that that gameplay would work better with a set of cards which weren't so obviously trying to be controversial though.

You mean like Apples to Apples? Fantastic Storytelling? SuperFight? The MetaGame?

Cards against Humanity is shit and I honestly find myself thinking less of people that play it  with any degree of frequency.

Online Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
CAH can be fun with the right group of people. If there's any worth to it is in trying to figure out what each opponent finds funny so that you can tailor your answers to each one and try and win more points. So you have to play to win, and be clever about it.

You could argue that that gameplay would work better with a set of cards which weren't so obviously trying to be controversial though.

You mean like Apples to Apples? Fantastic Storytelling? SuperFight? The MetaGame?

Cards against Humanity is shit and I honestly find myself thinking less of people that play it  with any degree of frequency.

I can't imagine anyone playing it frequently. I think I've played it three times in three years and that was plenty.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I've played it twice, and there was definitely some diminishing returns.  However, that first game was so funny that it's existence is justified.  I'm sure it can be shit, particularly if people are just going for shock value or non-sequitors.  With genuinely witty people, who are trying to fit theit cards to the question in a surprising but logical way, it can be genuinely very funny.  I'm not someone who thinks just saying the most shocking thing that springs to mind is funny, or that placing down cards that say, "Running out of semen - The Hillsborough story" is the height of wit, incidentally. 

There are better games which rely on you and your friends coming up with something funny to work, of course.  Funemployed is a great one.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Sagrada arrived today, and it's fudging gorgeous. Along with Near and Far and Sky Tango its been a week for gorgeous games entering the cavalcade household.