Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 63734 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #750: January 07, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
We've been playing Seven Wonders a lot this week.  We've had a lot of fun out of the 2-player Duel version and wanted something we could all play together.

It's very similar really, probably a bit simpler than the 2-player version and thankfully slightly less prone to "what the hell does this tiny icon mean" confusion.  Probably a lot of fun with more players (we've only tried it with three so far).  Definitely could use some extra depth though so I'm going to look into expansions for this sooner rather than later.  Anyone got any tips?

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #751: January 07, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
I like 7 Wonders a lot. It works best at 4, for a whole bunch of reasons, though we often play it with more.

Concerning the expansions:
Leaders: Great, but this first: Adds Leaders, a bunch of cards with special effects that mix things up a lot, and an extra Wonder. Each player will play one Leader per age, and it's pretty seamlessly integrated adding needed complexity without impacting playtime significantly.
Cities: Great, buy this second: Adds considerable depth, up to 8 players, and direct impact competitiveness with new black cards. Also adds more Wonders and Leaders. Again, the added complexity does not significantly impact play time.
Wonder Pack: Fine. Adds 4 more Wonders. Buy it to mix things up.
Catan: Unrequired. Adds the city of Catan as a Wonder. It's not even that good as a Wonder.
Some Leader promo cards: Unrequired. Adds a few extra Leaders. Like Stevie Wonder and Wil Wheaton. Not even joking. For completionists only (like me).
Babel: Decent: Adds two new modules to the game: the Tower and Great Projects. Adds to play time and complexity, but we've found many gamers don't like this one as much as it's less elegant in terms of game design, and perhaps adds a rule or two too many for the game. Nevertheless, I like it.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #752: January 07, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »
Brilliant, thanks Hapi.

I'm getting increasingly wary of expansions - too often I've bought one for a game everyone's enjoying, only to find that the added complexity actually puts everyone off a bit - but 7 Wonders feels in need of something extra to bolster people's options.  So I think the first couple of these will get added to the shopping list sooner or later.

Also, adding Stevie Wonder is a stroke of genius.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #753: January 07, 2018, 03:49:24 PM »
Just 7 Wonders base has a lot of emergent complexity to it - and can be quite competitive. In fact, I think most of the expansions dilute its purity and aren't really required. I'd double check you have all the rules down and I'd also get a bit more familiar with it, as there's a lot of game there behind the simple front end. Perhaps this isn't as apparent at 3, but I don't think I've ever played it and thought it needed more. Cities and Leaders are fine, but I'd rather just invest in a different game.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #754: January 07, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
Cav's certainly not alone in thinking this. I have some friends that swear by the base game alone. Others only like playing if Cities and Leaders are added. Yet others want the lot. Can't say I have very strong opinions in any direction.

That said, if consistently playing with only 3, the game will be a little simpler as you have fewer cards in play and have a much easier time at controlling warfare and what each of the hands contains -- just adding one more player (taking it to 4) makes quite a difference, as you no longer have access to every resource in play, no longer war with every opponent, and you see each hand fewer times.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #755: January 08, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
Yes, this is true. The expansions might add stuff at lower player counts.

I really would recommend Azul (from the guys who brought us Century Spice Road). It's in the Sagrada/Splendor class of games, but has a real vindictive little edge to it, which I like. It's very tactile and visual, and works well at 2, 3 and 4.

Just got Photosynthesis too, which is pretty good. Treeeees.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #756: January 08, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
I've heard encouraging things about Photosynthesis, but haven't cracked... yet.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #757: January 30, 2018, 03:37:49 AM »
What are the current recommendations for two-player games? All I've got is Splendor and Patchwork.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #758: January 30, 2018, 04:43:45 AM »
I like Lost Cities, Jaipur and Ticket to Ride Switzerland.

But I'm not exactly an authority, and I'd like some recommendations too!

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #759: January 30, 2018, 05:52:34 AM »
Our most played at two:

Cousin's War - a microgame with a War of the Roses theme. Mixes bluffing, hand management and area control.
Jaipur - can now probablybe considered a classic. Fast, tactical, card game.
7 Wonders Duel - 2 player only version of the bigger game. Limited in some senses, but fun theme.
Caverana Cave vs Cave - 2 player only version of the bigger game. Limited replayability, but a lot of game nonetheless.
Kingdomino - scales well to 4. Easy to teach and always fun to play.
Oh My Goods - cheap engine builder. Little player interaction, but plays well - expansions are expensive but open up co-op and pseudo-Legacy options.
Scotten Totten - brilliant little set collecting/area control game with a Scottish theme.
Odin's Ravens - achingly gorgeous race game
Lost Expedition - co-op with Tintin style line art
Tides of Time - does a fantastic amount with virtually no cards. You'll only play it 20 times, but it'll get better the more you do.
One Deck Dungeon - compact co-op dice roller.
Game of Thrones Hand of the King - nicely themed little abstract with mechanics quite unline anything else I've played
Fog of Love - if you like roleplaying and have no skeletons in the closet with your partner then this is fantastic.
Fields of Green - a farming version of Among the Stars. Has a nice 2 player mode. Low player interaction.... but ducks!
Aton - Queen games special. Pastel. Awful art. Awful theme. Looks awful. Plays like a dream. 2 player area control, with a few other bolted on mechanics. One of my absolute favourites.
Santorini - beautiful 3D chess-like game. Looks quite childish, plays brilliantly.
Onitama - as does this, in a similar space. A sort of cut down chess, with restricted board and card driven movement.
Century Spice Road - often touted as a Splendor killer. It isn't, and it has some problems. But it's a fast, efficient engine builder. With spice pots.
Azul - in the Splendor/CSR space. Beautiful tile layer, plays well at 2-4.
aaaand finally, Fungi - I think it's a bit fiddly, but if you like mushrooms and butter....

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #760: January 30, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #761: January 30, 2018, 02:03:06 PM »
Finally got a copy of Fallout, and my kickstarter copy of Maximum Apocalypse turned up. Sadly away this weekend so will have to wait till half term but both have 1 player modes so looking forward to getting a go.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #762: April 03, 2018, 09:32:07 PM »
So, cavalcade's recommendations for April!

Paper Tales - light drafting game, with some similarities to 7 Wonders. I *really* like it, though I'm probably the most positive on it in our groups. Nice art, card drafting, quick play, interesting card ageing mechanic. Works well at two too, but optimised for 4 or 5.

Marco Polo - late to the party on this one. But wonderfully slick asymmetric midweight euro. Dice placement, radically different player powers, some nice interlocking systems. Probably takes Viticulture/Tuscany/Snowdonia/Ancient World's position as my go-to "next step up" boardgame for people transitioning from stuff like Ticket to Ride.

Liguria - cheap Queen game. Cheerful, pastel cube trading between islands on little cardboard boats. Non-offensive and pretty entertaining.

Nations + Expansion - like Through the Ages, but with a reasonable playing time and streamlined systems. We've really enjoyed this - it's cutthroat, deep and very well designed. The art is utter shite and it can be grindingly depressing if you fall behind and have no way of digging yourself out, but we have been very impressed. 

Sidreal Confluence - another game with terrible art. It's a sort of cross between Diplomacy and Twilight Imperium, and is a game framework around negotiating with your friends to trade cubes and machines that.... make cubes. It sounds dreadful, and many bits of it are, but we've played at variable player counts and there's not much out there that plays as well, and as sociably, at above 5. A lot of people are calling it their GOTY. It isn't, but it's a solid 8.

We're still very much enamoured with Trajan. So are slowly working through Feld's back catalogue. Just got La Isla. Looks shite, but.... Feld?