Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 49855 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #750: January 07, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »
We've been playing Seven Wonders a lot this week.  We've had a lot of fun out of the 2-player Duel version and wanted something we could all play together.

It's very similar really, probably a bit simpler than the 2-player version and thankfully slightly less prone to "what the hell does this tiny icon mean" confusion.  Probably a lot of fun with more players (we've only tried it with three so far).  Definitely could use some extra depth though so I'm going to look into expansions for this sooner rather than later.  Anyone got any tips?

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #751: January 07, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
I like 7 Wonders a lot. It works best at 4, for a whole bunch of reasons, though we often play it with more.

Concerning the expansions:
Leaders: Great, but this first: Adds Leaders, a bunch of cards with special effects that mix things up a lot, and an extra Wonder. Each player will play one Leader per age, and it's pretty seamlessly integrated adding needed complexity without impacting playtime significantly.
Cities: Great, buy this second: Adds considerable depth, up to 8 players, and direct impact competitiveness with new black cards. Also adds more Wonders and Leaders. Again, the added complexity does not significantly impact play time.
Wonder Pack: Fine. Adds 4 more Wonders. Buy it to mix things up.
Catan: Unrequired. Adds the city of Catan as a Wonder. It's not even that good as a Wonder.
Some Leader promo cards: Unrequired. Adds a few extra Leaders. Like Stevie Wonder and Wil Wheaton. Not even joking. For completionists only (like me).
Babel: Decent: Adds two new modules to the game: the Tower and Great Projects. Adds to play time and complexity, but we've found many gamers don't like this one as much as it's less elegant in terms of game design, and perhaps adds a rule or two too many for the game. Nevertheless, I like it.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #752: January 07, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »
Brilliant, thanks Hapi.

I'm getting increasingly wary of expansions - too often I've bought one for a game everyone's enjoying, only to find that the added complexity actually puts everyone off a bit - but 7 Wonders feels in need of something extra to bolster people's options.  So I think the first couple of these will get added to the shopping list sooner or later.

Also, adding Stevie Wonder is a stroke of genius.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #753: January 07, 2018, 03:49:24 PM »
Just 7 Wonders base has a lot of emergent complexity to it - and can be quite competitive. In fact, I think most of the expansions dilute its purity and aren't really required. I'd double check you have all the rules down and I'd also get a bit more familiar with it, as there's a lot of game there behind the simple front end. Perhaps this isn't as apparent at 3, but I don't think I've ever played it and thought it needed more. Cities and Leaders are fine, but I'd rather just invest in a different game.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #754: January 07, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
Cav's certainly not alone in thinking this. I have some friends that swear by the base game alone. Others only like playing if Cities and Leaders are added. Yet others want the lot. Can't say I have very strong opinions in any direction.

That said, if consistently playing with only 3, the game will be a little simpler as you have fewer cards in play and have a much easier time at controlling warfare and what each of the hands contains -- just adding one more player (taking it to 4) makes quite a difference, as you no longer have access to every resource in play, no longer war with every opponent, and you see each hand fewer times.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #755: January 08, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
Yes, this is true. The expansions might add stuff at lower player counts.

I really would recommend Azul (from the guys who brought us Century Spice Road). It's in the Sagrada/Splendor class of games, but has a real vindictive little edge to it, which I like. It's very tactile and visual, and works well at 2, 3 and 4.

Just got Photosynthesis too, which is pretty good. Treeeees.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #756: January 08, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
I've heard encouraging things about Photosynthesis, but haven't cracked... yet.