Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Billiard Room / Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Last post by cavalcade on Today at 07:23:38 PM »
I don't understand how you have the time to play that much stuff, never mind the money.

Yeah, I think we're entering Trump-esque territory to re-cast that as your general admiration for how I manage to do it.

I'm a PhD student entering my third year. I work pretty long hours. My hobby/escape is gaming and music. I have all the music gear I need, so I tend to buy boardgames as I enjoy the social aspect and they scratch an itch that videogames no longer scratch. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I have a tiny car, I walk to work, I live in West Wales where life is still fairly cheap.

I'd normally not take a statement especially personally, but I did feel it was a bit rich coming from this place where plenty of people see fit to couch any 120 hour game they've finished behind cover statements of how they're also tremendously busy, or did it while mowing the lawn or something. Or the 18 season Marvel TV shows you all seem to manage to plough through in under a week and discuss merrily.

So yes, it was a bit fuck off. I have the money because I don't spend it. I have the time because I make it. You want the money and time, do the same I guess?
« Last post by Luscan on Today at 05:11:28 PM »
Sorry, but why the assumption of malice? I know it's the internet, but I do generally try to avoid being a dick, if I can.

it's the 'never mind the money' aspect that makes the 'im impressed' part ring a wee bit hollow.
« Last post by Ninchilla on Today at 12:16:03 PM »
Sorry, but why the assumption of malice? I know it's the internet, but I do generally try to avoid being a dick, if I can.
« Last post by cavalcade on Today at 07:11:27 AM »
Uh huh. Riiiight.

"Mice and Mystics (minis painted to high standard - pics to follow, some in previous posts here) + Heart of Glorm and Downwood Tales expansions (unused/unpunched) £165"

Popped up today. It's a lot, but painted minis and both expansions (one of which is hen's teeth rare).
« Last post by Ninchilla on July 24, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm impressed, not "calling out". I never seem to be able to arrange the time and people to play anything. :(
« Last post by Brian Bloodaxe on July 24, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
But the utter disbelief of being called out here for spending money/time on a hobby in this place nearly concussed me with the amount of irony I had to process :D

I think it was more that we are impressed that you have access to all these games rather than surprise that you would spend your time playing games.
« Last post by cavalcade on July 24, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
I would do Mice and Mystics soon, as the older your little uns get the less likely they are to be interested in it. At a younger age they'll probably find it magical. You can download a soundtrack with professional narration of the story parts too, which is cool. Like a lot of Plaid hat games stock is a lottery though. It crops up second hand from time to time and it's restocked in dribs and drabs so keep an eye on the usual places for it (I'll let you know if I see it).

Descent isn't too bad - the second edition has an app so you can play co-op. I think the minis are a bit poor and it's typical FFG over-engineered jank in places, but it's infinitely expandable and rich and deep. Only problem is like all dice based crawlers it's fairly mechanistic. Move. Roll. Succeed. Roll. Move. Repeat. There are a handful of crawlers, like Perdition's Mouth and Gloomhaven that try something different and work well, and others (like the Dnd series: Ashardalon, Drizzt etc) which try something different and get even worse. It's an odd genre. As I say, we like Dungeon Saga a lot, though you need an "overlord" (DM) - it's cheap, minis are good (if painted), it's in stock, systems are reasonable. You can pick up the main set for about £30 these days and it's a lot of game for your money. There is a sort of AI deck, but it's a bit shit, so I don't think it really meets what you need.

I assume you know about Arcadia Quest? That's like a good version of SDE - better game systems, better minis, better everything, similar art style. Also Masmorra, which isn't great, but might be worth a look.

I would really recommend One Deck Dungeon though. I think most kids would really like it. Really quick to play, set up and tear down are lightning quick and it's fully co-op. Descent with a deck of cards.

I know you like Talisman too - I'd take a look at Gloom of Kilforth. Might not be entirely theme appropriate, but it's a cross between Talisman, a crawler and Pathfinder ACG (which also might be worth a look). Playtime is quite long though, and it's very complex in bits.

And another obvious game everyone is loving at the mo (and kids love) is Clank.

And I'm lucky (?) enough to be in a whirling vortex of people really into games - so we tend to all try to buy in different areas so we have no overlaps. This means a huge exposure to loads of types of game. But the utter disbelief of being called out here for spending money/time on a hobby in this place nearly concussed me with the amount of irony I had to process :D
« Last post by Garwoofoo on July 24, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »
Mice and Mystics looks like it'll hit the spot really nicely - thanks for that.  Co-operative plus story-driven is exactly the kind of thing we'll enjoy.

I don't know how you hear of most of this stuff, it never seems to crop up while I'm hunting around for new games to get!

EDIT: ah, the usual problem. Out of stock everywhere it seems. :(
The Games Parlour / Re: Keep On Keeping Going! Your Games Completed of 2017
« Last post by aniki on July 24, 2017, 04:40:21 AM »
(click to show/hide)

July
Persona 5 - It only took me three and a half months, and about 78 hours of game time, but that's P5 put away... for now. I never managed to get stuck into NG+ on P4G for some reason, but I keep kidding myself that I might make the effort for this. Full thoughts in the thread.
The Games Parlour / Re: Play Want Bin - July Can't Think Of A Pun Edition
« Last post by Prole on July 24, 2017, 01:36:27 AM »
Yeah.  I've lost pets but it was always due to old age or chronic health conditions so you are expecting the end when it comes.  I can understand why this is hitting you so hard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10