Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Games Completed of 2018  (Read 608 times)

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
Re: Your Games Completed of 2018
« Reply #15: February 13, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
Mild story spoilers:

(click to show/hide)

I would say it's PG, mildly unsettling. But I don't have kids, so I wouldn't like to say yes or no for definite!

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #16: February 17, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Small Radios, Big Televisions
Her Majesty's Spiffing: The Empire Staggers Back
Fortnite - Okay, no, I haven't 'finished' this but I think I am finished *with* it. The Battle Royale side of things, anyway. My fourth match and I managed to get a victory (despite being utter shit at multiplayer shooting games) not just without getting any kills, but not firing a single bullet either. Highlights of the match included:

• Hiding under the stairs in a house for the first two storm waves
• Hiding in a small shed until the storm forced me to move
• Finding a Gatling Gun in a chest on top of a pile of cars
• Hiding under a tree
• Hiding under another tree and moving around the trunk when I saw someone running past in the distance
• Hiding in a crevice at the bottom of a cliff with my back to the rockface
• Seeing the last person firing rockets in my general direction blindly, then dropping down from the cliff above and blowing himself up in a failed attempt to shoot me with an RPG

So, that was fun. I'll never top that, so I'm done. :)

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
Your Games Completed of 2018
« Reply #17: February 18, 2018, 05:21:20 PM »
sounds like my best efforts, only with rather more luck... games like this really show just how terrible I am at the shooting part, which is unfortunate really

Oh and I completed a game - Jettomero - in which you get to fly about the galaxy on a mission to save humanity but causing a fair amount of clumsy harm along the way; it’s a quite simple, one trick pony sort of game, but is short enough not to outstay it’s welcome

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #18: February 20, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Fortnite
Iconoclasts - Falls heavily into the 'Everyone's saying it's a GotY contender but I honestly don't see why' department. I get it, a lot of love has gone into making it, it took the guy years to finish. But is it really a great example of the genre? Not really. The puzzles are menial, there's very little in the way of backtracking to do when you get new abilities (of which there aren't many), the platforming is average and the boss fights, which make up a big chunk of the action, range from 'quite impressive' to 'well, that was a thing'. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not amazing.

On top of this, the story is a jumbled mess of religion and privilege against the common man. Half of humanity worships the Mother and her kin, the other half toil to go against this setup and live in a moving city underwater; everyone's after a resource called Ivory that powers everything, the world's being torn apart because Ivory's running out and it appears that Mother has some heavies called Agents that are regular humans fused with Ivory to make them tough as bastards. Everyone also lives in fear of the great Him, a mighty spaceworm creature that roams space and threatens to destroy the world unless everyone follows the religious nutcases. That wouldn't be so bad in that it's ignorable, except it all ends with the most bizarre conclusion I've ever seen:

(click to show/hide)

It's also the second game I've played lately where one of the trophies is tied to a mode where you have to finish the entire game without dying (and, even worse in this case, without getting hit once). Seriously, fuck that. I've got better things to do with my life.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 26, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
JAN
Batman: The Telltale Series

FEB
Monster Hunter: World

Well. It has been a VERY long time since a game got its hooks into me like this.  It's only been out a couple of weeks and I've played it solidly - and loved every minute of it.  Loads of stuff still I want to do in end-game too so I'll be playing it for a long time yet. What a game.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #20: March 06, 2018, 05:39:37 AM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Fortnite
Iconoclasts

MARCH
Red - I finished Yellow last year, this is more of the same. 50 puzzles, all based around a single colour. It was a thing. Meh.
Part-Time UFO - Lovely little mobile game from HAL Labs (BoxBoy/Kirby devs). Really enjoyed it, challenging and yet not impossible. Worth anyone's attention if you want a nice game on your phone.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 12, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »
JAN

FEB

MAR
Fire Emblem Warriors

Emphatically not nearly as good as Hyrule Warriors.  The roster's too samey, the levels too similar and the battles too chaotic.  Whereas HW makes you feel powerful - you're the unique character with all the best moves, running around solving everyone's problems - FEW makes you feel powerless - you're micro-managing a team of interchangeable dullards and you're constantly at risk of failing a level due to something happening on the other side of the battlefield that you weren't aware of.  It's constantly shouting new objectives and hazards at you but the mini-map isn't detailed enough to let you pinpoint what's really going on so at times it feels like a bit of a lottery.

Still, it's not terrible: you get better at the micro-management and there's satisfaction to be had from systematically clearing out entire levels.  I'm going to dip into the History Mode but honestly that just looks like more of the same; not nearly as in-depth as HW's adventure mode.  A disappointment, really.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #22: March 16, 2018, 05:31:23 AM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Fortnite
Iconoclasts

MARCH
Red
Part-Time UFO
Metroid: Samus Returns - A typical Metroid, though I don't remember it being quite so repetitive when I played the original on Game Boy. That said, it definitely picks up the pace towards the end when there are some proper boss battles (as opposed to having to fight the same Metroid evolutions with the same attack patterns over and over again) and it's pretty rewarding to work out how to get some of the more obtuse power-ups. I enjoyed it, but I finished it 100% and so have no reason to ever go back to it.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 17, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
JAN

FEB

MAR
Fire Emblem Warriors
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

An instant classic.  And one of those ideas that really should never have worked - take Mario, give him and his friends a load of heavy weaponry, team them up with Ubisoft's terminally unfunny Rabbid characters and let them loose in an XCOM clone? Ridiculous. But in all honesty it's almost perfect. The strategy's straightforward but never dumbed down, there's pleasingly little reliance on randomness, they've done a great job with all the characters and - incredibly - the Rabbids are hilarious in this. Rabbid Peach in particular is one of the best characters in a Nintendo game for years.  It's also got the best opera-singing boss since Conker's Bad Fur Day's Big Mighty Poo.

There's also loads to do. Even having completed the game, we've got loads of challenges to go back and do, the opportunity to perfect previous battles, and both co-op and competitive campaigns to try out (both of which are huge; almost like games in themselves).  And I've just bought the Season Pass, which adds new weapons, even more challenges and the prospect of an upcoming single-player campaign chapter starring Donkey Kong.  It's a big, expansive, generous game and it deserves all the recognition and credit it can get.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 26, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »
Further to the above:

MAR
Thimbleweed Park

Glad this is over, in fact I had to push myself to finish it.  A great shame really, as I loved the old Lucasarts titles; but while this is a clear homage, it's not a very good game.  Nostalgia alone will carry you through the opening chapters but it's clear by the halfway point that Thimbleweed Park has serious issues: there's far too much back and forth and item-swapping, the team of five characters never actually interact with each other, the plot is absolute bullshit and the whole thing gets so wanky and self-referential by the end that I was glad to see the back of it.  It's just so inordinately pleased with itself all the way through that it never stops to consider that it's neither funny nor fun to play. What a shame.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #25: March 26, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
"Glad this is over, in fact I had to push myself to finish it.  A great shame really, as I loved the old Lucasarts titles; but while this is a clear homage, it's not a very good game.  Nostalgia alone will carry you through the opening chapters but it's clear by the halfway point that Thimbleweed Park has serious issues: there's far too much back and forth and item-swapping, the team of five characters never actually interact with each other, the plot is absolute bullshit and the whole thing gets so wanky and self-referential by the end that I was glad to see the back of it.  It's just so inordinately pleased with itself all the way through that it never stops to consider that it's neither funny nor fun to play. What a shame."

Best back of box quote ever.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 26, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
I'd settle for just "wanky" if they're short on space.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #27: March 26, 2018, 12:11:15 PM »
Dude, what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 27, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »
Started and completed Deadlight Directors edition, or as my missus called it 'like fallout but your going in a line' both amusing to me and annoying as I've explained countless times to her that ghouls ain't zombies...

Anyway really liked Deadlight. It reminded me of Shadow Complex, to the extent I was surprised it wasn't the same team.

On full time dad duty tomorrow but might start Rime which is the same team and also on Gamepass.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #29: March 28, 2018, 04:06:44 AM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Fortnite
Iconoclasts

MARCH
Red
Part-Time UFO
Metroid: Samus Returns
Tembo The Badass Elephant - Meh, it's a thing. A fairly solid, overly repetitive and quite pretty but otherwise average platformer. Paid £3 in the PSN sale for it, so I don't feel bad. Not as good as Harmoknight on 3DS was, which was by the same team and had fairly similar themes (except for, you know, the elephant). Rather short. No Platinum, which sucks.