Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your Games Completed of 2018  (Read 257 times)

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
Re: Your Games Completed of 2018
« Reply #15: February 13, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
Mild story spoilers:

(click to show/hide)

I would say it's PG, mildly unsettling. But I don't have kids, so I wouldn't like to say yes or no for definite!

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #16: February 17, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Small Radios, Big Televisions
Her Majesty's Spiffing: The Empire Staggers Back
Fortnite - Okay, no, I haven't 'finished' this but I think I am finished *with* it. The Battle Royale side of things, anyway. My fourth match and I managed to get a victory (despite being utter shit at multiplayer shooting games) not just without getting any kills, but not firing a single bullet either. Highlights of the match included:

• Hiding under the stairs in a house for the first two storm waves
• Hiding in a small shed until the storm forced me to move
• Finding a Gatling Gun in a chest on top of a pile of cars
• Hiding under a tree
• Hiding under another tree and moving around the trunk when I saw someone running past in the distance
• Hiding in a crevice at the bottom of a cliff with my back to the rockface
• Seeing the last person firing rockets in my general direction blindly, then dropping down from the cliff above and blowing himself up in a failed attempt to shoot me with an RPG

So, that was fun. I'll never top that, so I'm done. :)

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
Your Games Completed of 2018
« Reply #17: February 18, 2018, 05:21:20 PM »
sounds like my best efforts, only with rather more luck... games like this really show just how terrible I am at the shooting part, which is unfortunate really

Oh and I completed a game - Jettomero - in which you get to fly about the galaxy on a mission to save humanity but causing a fair amount of clumsy harm along the way; it’s a quite simple, one trick pony sort of game, but is short enough not to outstay it’s welcome

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #18: February 20, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Small Radios, Big Televisions
Her Majesty's Spiffing: The Empire Staggers Back
Fortnite
Iconoclasts - Falls heavily into the 'Everyone's saying it's a GotY contender but I honestly don't see why' department. I get it, a lot of love has gone into making it, it took the guy years to finish. But is it really a great example of the genre? Not really. The puzzles are menial, there's very little in the way of backtracking to do when you get new abilities (of which there aren't many), the platforming is average and the boss fights, which make up a big chunk of the action, range from 'quite impressive' to 'well, that was a thing'. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not amazing.

On top of this, the story is a jumbled mess of religion and privilege against the common man. Half of humanity worships the Mother and her kin, the other half toil to go against this setup and live in a moving city underwater; everyone's after a resource called Ivory that powers everything, the world's being torn apart because Ivory's running out and it appears that Mother has some heavies called Agents that are regular humans fused with Ivory to make them tough as bastards. Everyone also lives in fear of the great Him, a mighty spaceworm creature that roams space and threatens to destroy the world unless everyone follows the religious nutcases. That wouldn't be so bad in that it's ignorable, except it all ends with the most bizarre conclusion I've ever seen:

(click to show/hide)

It's also the second game I've played lately where one of the trophies is tied to a mode where you have to finish the entire game without dying (and, even worse in this case, without getting hit once). Seriously, fuck that. I've got better things to do with my life.