Username: Password:

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Games Parlour / Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins
« Last post by Ninchilla on February 21, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »
"Accidentally".
The Games Parlour / Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins
« Last post by Garwoofoo on February 21, 2018, 02:39:42 PM »
The Discovery Tour educational mode has been released as a free update, and it's excellent. I wish all Assassin’s Creed games had this. Even apart from all the historical information, it’s a great mode for kids to run around in without you having any fear they’ll accidentally stab someone in the face.
The Billiard Room / Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Last post by Brian Bloodaxe on February 21, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
Well if you like, you are welcome to come along and give it a try the next time I am running it.
I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on my plate right now -- basically, all RPGing I'll be doing for the next while will be supporting my work (playtesting, mostly). But, ta for the offer. :)

You're welcome! And if you need any more bodies for the playtesting, give us a shout!
The Games Parlour / Re: Final Fantasy XIV
« Last post by Garwoofoo on February 21, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
If you like this, it's currently 64% off in the PSN sale - so that's £17.99 for the base game, both expansions and (I assume) a month's playtime. That's a LOT of game for the price.
« Last post by Hapimeses on February 21, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »
Well if you like, you are welcome to come along and give it a try the next time I am running it.
I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on my plate right now -- basically, all RPGing I'll be doing for the next while will be supporting my work (playtesting, mostly). But, ta for the offer. :)
The Games Parlour / Re: Your Games Completed of 2018
« Last post by martTM on February 20, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
JANUARY
Four Last Things

FEBRUARY
Slayaway Camp
Rise & Shine
Small Radios, Big Televisions
Her Majesty's Spiffing: The Empire Staggers Back
Fortnite
Iconoclasts - Falls heavily into the 'Everyone's saying it's a GotY contender but I honestly don't see why' department. I get it, a lot of love has gone into making it, it took the guy years to finish. But is it really a great example of the genre? Not really. The puzzles are menial, there's very little in the way of backtracking to do when you get new abilities (of which there aren't many), the platforming is average and the boss fights, which make up a big chunk of the action, range from 'quite impressive' to 'well, that was a thing'. It's not terrible, but it's certainly not amazing.

On top of this, the story is a jumbled mess of religion and privilege against the common man. Half of humanity worships the Mother and her kin, the other half toil to go against this setup and live in a moving city underwater; everyone's after a resource called Ivory that powers everything, the world's being torn apart because Ivory's running out and it appears that Mother has some heavies called Agents that are regular humans fused with Ivory to make them tough as bastards. Everyone also lives in fear of the great Him, a mighty spaceworm creature that roams space and threatens to destroy the world unless everyone follows the religious nutcases. That wouldn't be so bad in that it's ignorable, except it all ends with the most bizarre conclusion I've ever seen:

(click to show/hide)

It's also the second game I've played lately where one of the trophies is tied to a mode where you have to finish the entire game without dying (and, even worse in this case, without getting hit once). Seriously, fuck that. I've got better things to do with my life.
The Games Parlour / Re: Remakes and Remasters
« Last post by Garwoofoo on February 20, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
Ulp, sorry.
« Last post by martTM on February 20, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »
Not ashamed to say I'll buy it. At that price too. And without feeling bad or ripped off.

Someone the other day was arguing with me on Twitter (which is basically for arguments, right?) because they thought all remasters were too expensive and should be made available for very little because 'they're old' (fair enough) and 'the game's already made' so they require no effort to make. This latter point pisses me off greatly, mainly because I see it from the other side and know exactly how much effort it takes to make something like this, so people who suggest this can fuck right off (no-one here, just in general). Hell, just a port of a current gen game - say, Lumo which we didn't decide to bring to Switch until the PS4/Xbox One versions were already out - takes a huge amount of legwork, and that's basically the same game. So when a game needs to be remastered... well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the same as starting from scratch. But consider the factors:

• Engine changes. You can't just go into Unity - an old version of Unity at that, given the age of the games - and press the 'Make me a PS4 version' button, even though that appears to be what some people think happens. Sony and Microsoft pull up the ladder on which versions of engines are permitted for submission pretty quickly, meaning you need to be in something relatively current before you can do anything. Moving a finished game from one version of an engine to another is a massive ballache and often breaks things in more ways than I can count. No, you don't have to do the core design stuff that makes a game, but you do have to make sure all of it still works in all aspects (mechanics, physics, lighting, textures, etc, etc, etc). Usually, when you're doing this, it just doesn't.

• Online stuff. Same as the above - just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will now. Tech changes all the time, you need to often rework things to ensure they're right.

• Textures. 4K textures don't just make themselves. Lots of manpower needed there.

• Testing. Big, big, BIG part, even if the game's already done. See comments about engines about as to why that is.

• The background grunt work, like the stuff I do. Plus all that sweet, sweet marketing, which isn't cheap.

Even if it is a remake of an old game, no way that EA hasn't dropped at least half a million on this. It's a really good game too, and a massive one that lasts forever. If your argument against that not being worth the price of a game (and compared to new digital titles that start at £60, £35 is relatively cheap really) is that it's old, then sorry but... well.  <_<

EDIT: Thought occurred after I stepped away and went to do menial washing up - the argument from the 'It's an old game' crowd isn't that it's old and therefore should be cheaper, but rather that *they've* already played it or, worse, was on a console they happened to own or, worse worse, was on a console they didn't own but was alive in their active memory, and therefore they shouldn't be obliged to pay a reasonable price for it. That's not quite as bad as the classic 'I bought Super Mario World on the SNES, I shouldn't ever have to pay for it again, I want all future releases of it for free' complaint, but it's not far off.

If it's old to you, whether you actually played it or not, then great - well done, you're still alive and haven't died yet. But it's not old to everyone and *gasp* there are more people playing games than just you. In this particular case, my boy was two months away from being born when it came out and in all the time since then, I think he's seen me playing Paradise once when it dropped for Xbox One backwards compatibility. It's a new release on a modern console - no, it's not technically a new game, but that doesn't mean it's not a new experience for a lot of people.

Gahhhhhh... now I'm just getting cross and typing into the ether. Fuck sake.
« Last post by Garwoofoo on February 20, 2018, 03:22:51 PM »
Burnout Paradise is coming out on 16th March for a frankly ridiculous £34.99, if anyone wants to party like it's 2008.

That said, I did just buy the Final Fantasy XII remaster for a princely £15 so I guess I'm part of the problem.
« Last post by Brian Bloodaxe on February 19, 2018, 07:54:50 PM »
Tonight we generated the characters for my new D&D campaign:

A Wise Human Druid with powers of Animal Forms and Animal Control,
A Strong Human Spearman with the drive to make the world more democratic and free!
A Brave Human Ninja who should be entertaining to watch,
A Deft Monk of some sort (more details required)
A Strong Half-Orc holy warrior on the path of righteousness,
And a Wise Dogperson Cleric from Pugmire.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10