Username: Password:

Author Topic: PlayStation Plus  (Read 146411 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
PlayStation Plus
« Topic Start: June 29, 2010, 05:00:35 AM »
Looks like we're getting a new firmware update today for the PS3 which is enabling PlayStation Plus - Sony's £39.99/year subscription service.

It's a really weird mix of benefits.  As well as automatic patch/firmware downloads, you get full game trials, free PSN games, special offers, PS1 titles and other tat.  You don't get to choose what you get, really, though, it depends what Sony decide to offload each month.  Here are the first couple of months:

Month 1: June 29th - August 3rd

* Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
    * PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
    * minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
    * PSone: Destruction Derby
    * Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
    * Discounts: LBP God of War Pack - 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack - 50%, Gravity Crash - 20%, Fat Princess DLC - 20%
    * Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
    * Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
    * Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation "Game Is Just The Start" Dynamic Theme
    * 2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th - September 1st

* PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
    * minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
    * PSone: Medievil
    * Full Game Trial: Inferno Pool, Mushroom Wars
    * Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table - 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack - 50%, Super Stardust HD - 20%, WipeOutHD Fury - 20%
    * Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
    * Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
    * Themes: "SCEE produced: PlayStation + Dynamic Theme (in production), Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
    * 2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

Now the catch is that all this stuff only lasts while you're subscribed.  So you might get your nice free copy of WipeOut HD but it'll vanish if you stop paying your £39.99/year.

But, regardless, I quite like the idea.  Credit to Sony for trying something different and not just churning out an Xbox Live clone.  It's a way to encourage people to try things they might otherwise have not, and after twelve months you are likely to have downloaded a LOT more than forty quids' worth of content.

The downside of this is, of course, that I'm not going to pay £40 for Xbox Live Gold and £40 for PSN Plus.  However I might be tempted to switch at some point... I don't play online all that much anyway so my £40 would probably get me more immediate benefits with PSN Plus than it does with XBox Live.

I don't know.  On the other hand I might just end up getting loads of tat I wouldn't have paid for at any price.

Anyone else even remotely tempted by this?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Re: PlayStation Plus
« Reply #1: June 29, 2010, 05:10:16 AM »
I thought it had been confirmed that the downloads you make when subscribed do last forever. Even if you cancel.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 29, 2010, 05:10:49 AM »
I'd be more tempted if I didn't already have quite a lot of the stuff I find vaguely interesting on that list. As it is, I'm not too fussed. Yet.

Incidentally, this isn't going to be making any real difference to my usual routine (occasionally buy (and sometimes even play) PSN game, play online, etc) is it?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 29, 2010, 05:12:44 AM »
I thought it had been confirmed that the downloads you make when subscribed do last forever. Even if you cancel.
[snapback]97953[/snapback]
Do you have a link?  Because I thought it had been definitively confirmed the other way, and it makes a huge difference.

Incidentally, this isn't going to be making any real difference to my usual routine (occasionally buy (and sometimes even play) PSN game, play online, etc) is it?
[snapback]97954[/snapback]
It's just an additional service; if you don't want it, nothing changes.

To be honest the presence of Wipeout HD in the first month's list is tempting me already.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:13:47 AM by Garwoofoo »

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #4: June 29, 2010, 05:23:57 AM »
I'm torn. The games (besides LBP) you download are not permanent. They are not accessible when you stop subscribing. That's very confirmed. That said, how many of the PSN games I've bought do I play anymore? About 5. And I've bought a lot. So, I'm not sure it's an issue for me.

LBP as a download attracts me, but only because Jo keeps swapping my disks out to play it. Hardly a dealmaker.

My biggest issue is that I've already bought many of the games that will be offered. Still, out of the first two months there is a fair bit of content I'd use, and I'm sure that over the months after there would be much more -- far more than the £40 asking price, almost certainly. So, when combined with the additional features, I'm sure to get much more than my money's worth.

Still, I'm torn. I may buy it for the first year as a test. See what I think. If I like it, I'll stick around a while longer. If not, I'll dump it.

Lindsay wants it, so it's not like I have to sell the idea to her, but she's left me to decide whether we'll buy in.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:36:37 AM by Hapimeses »

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5: June 29, 2010, 05:25:10 AM »
They made it clear at the E3 conference that everything lasts for the duration of your subscription.

Aren't we supposed to be getting a few months free?

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6: June 29, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
They made it clear at the E3 conference that everything lasts for the duration of your subscription.

Aren't we supposed to be getting a few months free?
[snapback]97957[/snapback]
The 3-months free is for the US if you subscribe for a year (so, 15 months, not 12). We get LBP instead. The 3-months thing was widely reported wrong on the web, it seems.

I was kinda relying on that.

Now I have to make a decision now, as LBP is only offered for a few days.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:27:49 AM by Hapimeses »

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #7: June 29, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »
Doesn't seem to make much sense to me. It's not much per month, and you'll probably get a few decent things (maybe things you might not have bothered trying out normally) but I can't see the killer USP. It's clearly done to appease the shareholders

Sony: "LOL, we have free online! We rule!"
Shareholders: "Uh huh. But your competitor gets millions of people to pay $40 a year".
Sony: "Oh yeah."

I suppose if you almost look at it like a TV licence, or subscribing to a Sky channel or two, it begins to make more sense. The surprise of what you'll get each month might be quite entertaining I guess.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 29, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »
The surprise of what you'll get each month might be quite entertaining I guess.
[snapback]97959[/snapback]
Alternatively, imagine the crushing disappointment when you get offered two games you already own, a Disney PS1 title, DLC for something you don't want and a Giant Enemy Crab Premium Avatar.

I really can't decide.  The sheer randomness of this is part of what appeals, I think.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 29, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »
I suppose if you almost look at it like a TV licence, or subscribing to a Sky channel or two, it begins to make more sense. The surprise of what you'll get each month might be quite entertaining I guess.
[snapback]97959[/snapback]
Yeah, unless it's shite.

I don't know, if it starts to regularly have some really good stuff I'll probably go for it, I suppose. I'm not fussed about free LBP (I've already got it), so I can just bide my time and see what happens now...

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10: June 29, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »
I agree with the general apathy above. For me, the biggest draw is the discounts as I buy quite a lot; I'll make my money there over the year, there's no doubt. However, it's hardly exciting. There is, for me, no killer ap. If I didn't have a significant proportion of the PS3 games offered, I'd maybe be more excited, but I do. The Minis, while amusing for a while, are not significant for me, and the PS1 games will only interest Josie (probably). Oh, and early access to Betas holds no interest to me at all.

I'm just finding it hard to care. Sure, I'll save money on free games and the discounts, and I'll end up saving far more than the asking price, but, but... I dunno. It's just a bit dull. How is preloading stuff supposed to add WOW factor?

Perhaps the full-game trials will be worthwhile? Then again, I have three of the four games offered in the first two months already.

Bleh.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:20:27 AM by Hapimeses »

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11: June 29, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
On an unrelated note, I like being able to rate content you've bought in the store. Still messing with the new firmware's other extras, but I like that bit.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 29, 2010, 06:48:24 AM »
I agree with the general apathy above. For me, the biggest draw is the discounts as I buy quite a lot; I'll make my money there over the year, there's no doubt. However, it's hardly exciting. There is, for me, no killer ap. If I didn't have a significant proportion of the PS3 games offered, I'd maybe be more excited, but I do. The Minis, while amusing for a while, are not significant for me, and the PS1 games will only interest Josie (probably). Oh, and early access to Betas holds no interest to me at all.

I'm just finding it hard to care. Sure, I'll save money on free games and the discounts, and I'll end up saving far more than the asking price, but, but... I dunno. It's just a bit dull. How is preloading stuff supposed to add WOW factor?

Perhaps the full-game trials will be worthwhile? Then again, I have three of the four games offered in the first two months already.

Bleh.
[snapback]97962[/snapback]
That's the problem for you and me though - we will have a lot of the crap they'll be offering in the first few months, as it'll probably be highlights of what PSN has had to offer thus far. Give it a few months and it'll hopefully it'll be getting more interesting, as new stuff arrives, or the selection gets a little more eclectic (while hopefully maintaining quality).

What'll be interesting in the long run is how this effects PSN in general - will there be a lot more content coming (for those on the new scheme and non-subscribers alike) as they make it a priority with PSN finally a real money-making enterprise?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:58:28 AM by JDubYes »

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13: June 29, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »
I think I'll just buy some PSN cards and get it for a year (cheaper than buying it straight from the PSN). I'm an easy lay, and it will save me cash. On top of that I'll get a few new features. So, why the hell not? I'll review it at the end of the subscription and see if I think it was worth it.

Still, I can't say I'm full on enthusiam. If I didn't have WipEout or LBP, I'd buy this without a second thought. But I do.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 29, 2010, 08:10:06 AM »
On an unrelated note, I like being able to rate content you've bought in the store. Still messing with the new firmware's other extras, but I like that bit.
[snapback]97963[/snapback]
If it's anything like the Xbox equivalent functionality, everything will be four stars within a week.

That's the problem for you and me though - we will have a lot of the crap they'll be offering in the first few months, as it'll probably be highlights of what PSN has had to offer thus far. Give it a few months and it'll hopefully it'll be getting more interesting, as new stuff arrives, or the selection gets a little more eclectic (while hopefully maintaining quality).
[snapback]97964[/snapback]
The problem is that if anything really good comes out, you're still going to buy it straight away.  You're not going to wait a year on the offchance that it comes up cheap for PSN+ subscribers.  So to a certain extent PSN+ will always be offering people second-tier titles, things they might like but weren't sold on at launch.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:11:38 AM by Garwoofoo »