Username: Password:

Author Topic: PlayStation Plus  (Read 136767 times)

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Plus
« Reply #30: August 04, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
If it helps, Oddysee and Exoddus are both only about £3 anyway. Brilliant games, too - Oddworld was my 'other' favourite PS1 series next to Resident Evil.

I haven't had a chance to play them again yet, but I imagine they'll probably have held up rather well (maybe not graphically, but the gameplay should be relatively timeless), and I'd definitely recommend you give one a try for that paltry sum.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:52:01 AM by JDubYes »

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #31: August 04, 2010, 07:55:31 AM »
I'm considering totting up how much money I 'save' with this. See if it's worth my while. Nice looking update, though. Apparently there will be more as well.

On this, there has been a massive internet shoutathon that sometimes required CAPS at the PS EU blog because the US has been getting what is perceived as better and certainly more frequent PSN+ deals, the upshot of which is apologies and promises for more goodies for Europe, which I certainly won't complain about.

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 04, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »
Did I read something today that PSN+ is no longer going to be updating weekly, but every two weeks.

Not even sure what I'm talking about, as I assumed the offers were for a month.n I can't link but there is a news story on Joystiq

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33: August 04, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
Did I read something today that PSN+ is no longer going to be updating weekly, but every two weeks.

Not even sure what I'm talking about, as I assumed the offers were for a month.n I can't link but there is a news story on Joystiq
[snapback]99785[/snapback]
US PSN+ was updating weekly. EU PSN+ is updating monthly.

This has caused an uproar in certain quarters, and has caused a change on both sides of the Atlantic. The US have decided to update fortnightly, and the EU variety will now have, erm, sporadic updates every once in a while on top of the monthly update?

We'll see.

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to the next update, and that's a good thing.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34: August 04, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Is this Plus thing cumulative?  If I sign up today, do I get last month's free stuff as well as this month's? Or do I just get the stuff from the months I pay for?

If it helps, Oddysee and Exoddus are both only about £3 anyway. Brilliant games
[snapback]99775[/snapback]
This.  They have held up remarkably well, and their influence is still seen in the best (and most fashionable) 2d platformers today.  It's a real shame they aren't still making games though.  I never played Stranger's Wrath as I never had an Xbox and it was never added to the BC list for the 360.  Always wanted it though.  I wonder if they had developed it for the PS2 whether they would still be going today?  The relatively small market share and conservative nature of the MS demographic at the time must have harmed them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:43:32 PM by CheddarFrenzy »

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 04, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »
Is this Plus thing cumulative?  If I sign up today, do I get last month's free stuff as well as this month's? Or do I just get the stuff from the months I pay for?
[snapback]99802[/snapback]
Just the stuff from the months you pay for.  Last month's deals expired yesterday I'm afraid.

One thing I haven't seen confirmed anywhere: we all know that the free stuff you get stops working once you end your subscription, but what happens to the stuff you get using a PSN Plus discount?  eg Metal Gear Solid is 50% off in September, but if I take advantage of this deal, does that game also stop working if I unsubscribe?  If so, it would be very harsh.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 04:09:35 PM by Garwoofoo »

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: August 05, 2010, 10:05:08 AM »
nah, you get to keep anything you've bought, even if you got a psn+ discount

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37: August 05, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
So, I'm going to keep a log of what I 'save'. I'm not convinced this will go very well, which is all the more reason to do it. It won't mark all the PSN+ features I use, but it will record how much money I save by buying in.

I'll break it down by month, mark what I've saved, what I've played that I've enjoyed, but would never buy (so I'll not mark the price for these, as I'd've never bought them in the first place), and provide a commentary. Later posts will be much shorter as I'll only copy the running totals and the new month's breakdown.

JUL:
Saved: (LittleBigPlanet £16.99; LBP DLC £1.20) £18.19
Enjoyed: Field Runners; KZ2 DLC; Dynamic Themes

So, the first month was alright, but primarily because of the freebie. LBP in the hard drive has been very worthwhile, and it's received so much extra play that I also bought some DLC on the cheap. Although there were many other games on offer, I already owned most, or did not like them. One of the Minis, Field Runners, was the exception, which I really enjoyed and worked well on the PSP, but I would have never bought it, so I'm not including its cost as a saving. I also got a lot of use from the free dynamic themes, but would have never bought them, either. The KZ2 DLC is an added extra, but I haven't used it much yet.

AUG:
Saved: (Zen Pinball £6.29; GT Club+ £3.99) £10.28
Enjoyed: Alien Zombie Death; MediEvil; Motorstorm DLC; Dynamic Themes

I'm pretty happy this month. Zen Pinball is a fine game, and as I've almost bought it many times in the past I was especially pleased to get it for free. GT Club+ was almost bought some time ago as well, so I was happy to pick that up, too. MediEvil is alright for all it's PS1 crappy, but I would never have bought it, and the same goes for the new themes (which are okay) and Motorstorm DLC (which I've not tried yet as the game isn't here -- it's at my flooded house). Alien Zombie Death is alright for a Mini, but I'll not play it much in comparison to other, better Minis.

TOTAL SAVED: £28.47
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:00:51 PM by Hapimeses »

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 05, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
Surely "stuff you wouldn't have bought" is the main reason for PS+ though?  It is for me.  I actually like the idea of having access to a random selection of stuff to work my way through each month, and I'm sure I'd find good Minis, PS1 games etc that I'd otherwise have completely disregarded.

I think if you're purely waiting for "stuff you would have bought" to appear on PS+, you'll find it frustrating.  Generally, if it's stuff I would have bought, I'd have already bought it.

Certainly, as a "new" PSP owner, I'm finding PS+ a lot more tempting, simply because it provides a stream of interesting content on two consoles that I might not otherwise have considered.  The degree of convergence Sony has attempted with the PS3 and PSP is quite impressive really.

In fact I've pretty much made up my mind now that I'll be subscribing to this: it's too interesting to let it pass me by.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: August 05, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
are you not worried about drowning in shit?

sure it's nice getting a whole bunch of games, but I would feel the need to play them all to make sure I'm getting my money's worth; however as this would be at the expense of time I could be using for games I have actually chosen to buy it's not a route I'm choosing to go down

but then my gaming time is somewhat limited at the moment

Offline And

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: August 05, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
I'll be subscribing to this: it's too interesting to let it pass me by.
[snapback]99906[/snapback]

Journey to the dark side = complete

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41: August 05, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »
@Garwoofoo: I completely agree with you, but I'm being harsher with the totals just to see if I still come out on top, even though I've bought a lot of stuff in the past and probably will in future.

The best bit, as you say, is definitely playing all the games you probably would never have bought. For example: I never buy Minis and PS1 games (well, hardly ever), so it's been pretty awesome for that.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:16:34 PM by Hapimeses »

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #42: August 05, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
Journey to the dark side = complete
[snapback]99908[/snapback]

A PSPGo and PS Plus in the space of a week. I'm donning a tinfoil hat, Sony have come up with something sinister.

Offline And

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: August 05, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »
A PSPGo and PS Plus in the space of a week. I'm donning a tinfoil hat, Sony have come up with something sinister.
[snapback]99910[/snapback]

They've obviously been releasing highly concentrated jdub uncertainty pheremone into the tube network.

I'm going to start using the boris bikes

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: August 05, 2010, 03:21:49 PM »
"playing games you wouldn't have bought" might sound like fun, but considering the fact that you're paying a subscription, couldn't it also be considered "buying games you probably didn't want"?