Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hitman  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Hitman
« Topic Start: February 12, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

The beta for the new/upcoming Hitman is running this weekend (on PS4; PC is next week), and it's available to anyone with an active digital pre-order. That includes at least me and Mart.

As far as content goes, it's pretty slim; just three three prologue chapters, which are really only two levels. One is an assassination on a boat, the other in a Cuban air base, but the twist is they're both training missions for whatever you call Hitman's hitting agency, so they're dodgy soundstage mockups, with chipboard walls spray-stenciled with room descriptions, and ambience played over undisguised speakers.

The first two missions are on the yacht, one as a hand-holding control tutorial, then a second time where they just let you loose. The air base is completely open.

There are a couple of things to guide you to the targets' "signature" kills; sometimes NPCs we'll have conversations that reference possibilities, and you can track those as sub-objectives. Challenges are available for each level to give you ideas (find rat poison, distract a guard with a generator), though I don't know if you get anything for following them. I can't decide if I like these or not; they're useful to have, I guess, but I worry that I'll find myself falling back on them too often, turning the thing from a completely freeform, improvisational, "I wonder if..?" experience into a series of more traditional/straightforward missions that just happen to have a handful of optional paths. Maybe there's a way to turn them off - the options do allow you to disable the minimap and Instinct (aka Eagle Vision).

I think I'll give it another whirl, and test how much I can turn off, just to see if the game I think I want this to be is really in there.

EDIT, in case it's not clear: I do like it, in spite of the shuddery cutscenes, terrible dialogue, and hilariously awful voice work. It feels like I remember the old Hitman games feeling - poisoning a guy, and then following him to the bathroom to knock him out, steal his clothes and stuff him in a cupboard. Classic Hitman.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: Hitman
« Reply #1: February 13, 2016, 08:38:41 AM »
So you can turn off pretty much everything:

Ran both missions again this morning with various combinations of guides turned off; it's really good.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #2: February 13, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »
Not had much of a chance to play around with this yet - I did the boat mission twice and then got ruined on the chessmaster one pretty quickly because I wasn't very careful - but I definitely like what I've played so far. I can see a few alternative ways that the boat could potentially be done… for instance:

(click to show/hide)

I like that you can make this as easy or as hard as you like depending on the settings. The one thing I don't like, however, is something I'm hoping is a bug in the beta - that being how the levels play out and triggers to make things move on:

(click to show/hide)

From what I've read, the levels in the beta make up most of what's in the Intro portion of the final game - there's one extra Paris level, but that's it. I think, based on what I've played, I'll end up upgrading to the full game… this is definitely the Hitman game I've been waiting for since Blood Money.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #3: February 13, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
Yeah, there do seem to be triggers for some events, which can be frustrating, but it's possibly less annoying than essentially putting a time limit on certain approaches.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #4: February 13, 2016, 09:41:49 AM »
That's a shame. I can appreciate perhaps making it more accessible, but even so there should be windows of opportunity and potential fail states. I mean, a mark isn't going to wait around forever on the off chance that I either decide to kill them or make a mistake in my efforts...

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #5: February 13, 2016, 11:03:15 AM »
Oh, I failed plenty.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #6: February 14, 2016, 09:26:07 AM »
Yeah, this is great. Spent a lot of time on the boat level playing around and getting the feats - only thing is that, as suggested, the feat do kind of give away all the different ways that you can take on a level. Even so, they're pretty satisfying. Especially

(click to show/hide)

Yes, I'm a perfectly well-adjusted person. :D

Not entirely fond of how easily the characters clip through each other - mainly the NPCs against key characters - but apart from that, I'm liking this a lot. Less than a month to go!

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 14, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
This is probably one of my fav game series but I admit I have fallen well off the info scale with this new, potentially mentioned about but have avoided the spoilers, this has some sort of episodic nature to it yeah?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #8: February 14, 2016, 02:17:20 PM »
Yeah, the game launches with the prologue - the beta levels - and I think Paris? Other locations and targets will be released monthly after that.

There are also PlayStation-exclusive targets for each location, called the Sarajevo Six.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #9: February 14, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
I don't agree with the claim that Hitman is episodic. Just because it's being released piecemeal, doesn't make it episodic. Telltale games are episodic; each ends on a cliffhanger, you're left desperate to know what happens next, they tell an overarching story. I can't see that here. They're just levels, linked by a cutscene or two. Very cynical. And considering the first bit is £12 with the possibility to unlock the rest, all I can think of are parallels to Sony's release of GT5 Prologue where they basically sold people a demo.

Game's still great, of course, but it's interesting how the growth of true episodic gaming allows other publishers to get away with shit like this.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #10: February 14, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
It's episodic, but it's not serialized.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #11: February 14, 2016, 07:07:19 PM »
I just find it interesting that something that was once considered scandalous and a blight on the industry has now become accepted purely because it's been given a new name. See also: horse armour versus a million bloody 99p skins for your shit assault rifle.

Episodic my arse.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 15, 2016, 04:16:16 AM »
I see where you're coming from - it's not really episodic in a narrative sense - but it's no different to what they did with Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

That came out in four chunks over an eight-week period and it actually worked quite well.  People who played a bit of it then got tired of it didn't pay for the whole game.  It kept the whole thing "alive" in the public eye for longer and crucially it meant that each episode needed to have a respectable amount of content to justify the price, so there were lots of extra challenges and trophies to aim for which meant you didn't just play for a couple of hours then twiddle your thumbs till the next episode released.  OR you could just wait until the whole thing was out and go and buy your new game like you would do with any other release.

It's just a different way of doing it.  You've already played the beta/demo (sorry Koffdrop) and you know what you're getting, so do you want to buy the whole thing or just take a chance on the first chunk and see if it holds your attention?  That's not a bad choice to have.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 15, 2016, 12:48:34 PM »
I think with this I would be more willing to stomach that though Mart, I don't play telltale games until I have the ability to buy all of them, I will frequently not watch tv shows to till I have the entire season banked up to rinse through.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #14: February 16, 2016, 07:16:16 AM »
This forum post here basically addresses a lot of the issues I had with the beta.