Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hitman  (Read 2976 times)

Re: Hitman
« Reply #30: August 18, 2016, 05:57:10 AM »
I am very much playing it but, coming to it late means I'm playing catch up.

I really love the game. The main missions have been fine so far. I spent a fair amount of time on the Paris and Sapienza story missions but have only completed each one once. Decided to start escalation missions from the beginning and have found them very addictive. I'm still only working on the Airbase ones and haven't been near Marrakesh or Bangkok.

Came to realise -- this based purely on the boat escalations -- that this mode reminds me of Hitman GO: bit of trial and error with challenges building to the 5th level and then a perfect uninterrupted run to completion. This kind of score attack mode feels like the perfect successor to the Sniper Challenge from a couple of years ago (which was the best thing about Absolution). While I've enjoyed the story missions so far I think it's the escalations that are going to keep me hooked.

It's such a good game. I've never really been on board with the gripes about the release structure and jumping in now, with all the content that's available, criticism seems even more redundant. I struggle to imagine playing my way through everything on offer before the next update never mind the last one at the end of the year.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31: August 18, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »
I've started but, y'know, Overwatch is still a thing.

There are also other things.  The things demand attention!  All of them!

However, I feel well-disposed towards it.  After all, it isn't Absolution.  I've moved on from the training stage and dipped my toes into Paris.  After a bit of explore-me-do, plans are forming.  Hypotheses need testing.  This all good, but I'm not sure if it's hitting the earlier high-water marks of the franchise.

That being said, I've yet to even look at Sapienza.  I might be back in here in a few weeks touting it as one of the games of 2016.

« Reply #32: September 09, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
Here's an article on the internet that supports my point of view:

http://kotaku.com/the-hitman-experiment-has-been-a-success-1786352218

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #33: September 09, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »
Yeah, I read that earlier, and agree with pretty much all of it. I'd never have explored and enjoyed it so much if it all the levels has been there from the get-go.

« Reply #34: September 09, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »
That point about the Escalations is spot on - they've really pushed me into all the nooks and crannies of levels in a way that the story missions don't necessarily require. But they also make the story missions more fun to revisit. 

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #35: September 09, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
I should do more escalations, really; since Paris, I've only done enough to get the relevant trophy on subsequent episodes, and as a result I don't know Sapienza as well, or Marrakesh much at all.

« Reply #36: September 27, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
New one today. I've hardly played anything of the last two outside of the story getting side tracked doing stuff in Sapienza.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #37: September 27, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »
This is the first one that's come out before I managed to get all the trophies in the previous episode. Bangkok just didn't click with me the way the others did, for some reason, so I've spent a lot less time there.

« Reply #38: November 01, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
Last part is out: Japan, some kind of health resort for super richo's. The full experience is also available to download as the "Complete First Season". Due to a period of prolonged at work boredom I've started looking at below the line comments on articles. People are still pretty negative about the episodic release structure of this game which seems surprising since it's been roundly praised as one of the best experiences of the year.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #39: November 01, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »
People are still pretty negative about the episodic release structure of this game which seems surprising since it's been roundly praised as one of the best experiences of the year.

People are generally complaining cunts who'll complain about anything purely because they are cunts. Sad, but true.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #40: November 20, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
I've just set up a Contract in this that I'm moderately proud of. Set in Sapienza, it's called "Divine Retribution", and the briefing will probably offend anyone particularly religious. Five targets, all to be killed in various dramatically-ironic ways, while dressed as a priest.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: November 20, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
I got this on Steam as it had a hefty discount this weekend. Hope it's as good as everyone says.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #42: November 20, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
I'm patiently waiting for the season pass on PSN to drop in price. No movement yet... :(

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 20, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
It's cheap on Xbone at the moment, so I'd be fairly confident it'll drop in price on PSN when they start their Black Friday sales this week.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #44: November 20, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
I got this on Steam as it had a hefty discount this weekend. Hope it's as good as everyone says.
One piece of advice: take your time. It's really obviously designed for each level to be played repeatedly, not just run through sequentially. The episodic release was brilliant for me, as I don't think I'd have spent as long getting to know it if every level had been available from the outset.

I'll be interested to know what you think.