Username: Password:

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 17843 times)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #180: November 01, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »
looks bloody joyous!

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #181: November 09, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »
Just opened the eShop on a whim before bed and for the first time, it felt like I was greeted by a wall of shit shovelware that shouldn't be on there. It was inevitable, sadly, but I still felt a little sad. Maria The Witch? Tallowmere? Rock 'N Racing Off Road DX? Fuck sake. Combine that with a shitting Neo-Geo re-release and Octodad (which is fine, I guess, but soooo old) and it's really quite depressing.

The 3DS eShop ended up being so buried in shit games, you could barely see the good ones. Is this where we've got to now? I suspect so. So much for the indie gold rush, it looks like the canary's finally starting to cark it. :(

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #182: November 10, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
This is only a problem so long as Nintendo doesn't invest any time or resources into improving discoverability on the eShop. (I have no idea what their history in this area is, but I'm guessing "not great", as their own first-party titles won't have this problem and they're probably not as reliant on digital distribution as most indies).

The Switch eShop is pretty badly designed; it was clear from day one that more than a trickle of games would quickly outstrip the service's ability to provide useful access to anything but the chart-topping releases. The question is what Nintendo are willing to do about it.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: December 11, 2017, 05:30:32 AM »
I've already spent longer on Xenoblade 2 than I spent on the entirety of Mario. That's not indicative of quality, but it's certainly an addictive game.

The battle system is ridiculous, with a billion and one things happening at once, but I've just about got a hang of most of it. I still don't really understand the chain combo thing, where you have to burst different coloured balls, but I've only died a few times so I must be doing okay.

The only real downside so far is the female characters. I thought we'd left big tits, thongs and giggling behind? Did that memo not make it to Monolith? All I can think whenever Pyra is on screen, is how much back pain she must have.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #184: December 11, 2017, 05:42:11 AM »
Pyra is the most embarrassing thing I've seen in a game in years. It's a character design that I'd expect to see in a low-budget indie visual novel, or a cheap mid-00s anime OVA.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: December 11, 2017, 07:12:33 AM »
Apparently her character designer used to draw Hentai doujins.

I like her design despite how ridiculous her breasts are, and how very genericy 'Tales of' she looks, or maybe I just like that anime as fuck style. I dunno, it just reminds me of FFXV and how the main characters in that all wore black and were bland as fuck.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: December 20, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
I hate anime, and having just looked that character up I will now be using it as the basis in the future to sum up my feelings on quickly in a visual form.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: December 27, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
Bloody hell, the accessories for this thing are expensive, aren't they?  A Pro Controller is sixty quid. An additional dock is eighty! Plus you're going to need a carry case of some sort, as they didn't even include a cloth bag in the box (although they did manage to include two of those entirely pointless joy con strap things). Fair takes the shine off a new purchase really.

Games are good though! Mario and Rabbids is better than it has any right to be, really, even the rabbids are quite amusing. Peach Rabbid in particular is a masterpiece of character design.  Mario Odyssey is a bit irritating because its enforced motion controls kind of negate portable play, you know, the entire selling point of the console, but it's obviously very good too. I've also got Stardew Valley but haven't even loaded that one up yet.  Disgaea 5 next on the shopping list I reckon.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: December 27, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
You can definitely get by without the motion controls iirc, they just annoyingly made them enhance certain actions.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #189: December 28, 2017, 03:18:18 AM »
There are a few Moons that benefit from the extra motion control ability of captured NPCs (mostly, in my experience, when you need to stack goombas), but you can get through the game without them.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: December 28, 2017, 04:38:19 AM »
Gar if you check back you will see me moaning about Odessey controls, but note I’ve completed the story entirely in handheld, I’ve played mine in console mode less than 5 times, and never with Mario.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: December 28, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »
Yeah, I've played a fair bit in both TV and handheld mode now and there's only been one Power Moon so far where I feel like I've actually needed the motion controls.

They're just odd, that's all. It feels like the game doesn't need them, and would be better without them.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: December 30, 2017, 02:43:26 AM »
All games would be better without them, except lightgun games.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: December 31, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
The Pro Controller has turned out to be a good compromise. Not only is it a lovely comfortable thing to hold, it has motion sensors in it so I can swing it around when playing Mario if I need to. (Which isn't very often at all, as you've all pointed out).

However I started Stardew Valley today and, well. I'm not sure I'll be playing much else for a while now. It's the Harvest Moon game I've wanted for the last two decades.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: December 31, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
The only game I use the grip for is Mario Kart, everything else I play with the Joycons and it's glorious. No doubt the Wii control scheme is still imprinted within me but I feel so free playing like that, I am confident I could do it for Mario Kart too if I tried.