Username: Password:

Author Topic: Keep On Keeping Going! Your Games Completed of 2017  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
January
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2

February

Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns (fucking stupid subtitle btw)

Can't get much more direct than that, my first three games finished of 2017 were all 3 of the XIII 'trilogy', I feel pretty pleased with that! Though I really don't want to include the events of the sequels with XIII, I enjoyed playing them and on their own merits but there's no way I'm accepting that trainwreck of a story as one connected universe. :P

LR on its own was pretty fun, with a bit of polish and more time it could be great even, though I personally never got on with the combat, so I'd probably change it completely if not revamp it a fair bit. As it is, there's not...a lot of 'content' here, 4 worlds that make up small-ish maps (and one is a desert) and the story is just 4 short connecting questlines punctuated by a lot of fairly uninspired sidequests, you've seen all the maps you've seen all the game because the story presence is so minimal overall I feel. :o

That ending though, what an absolute crock of shite. :D

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
JAN
Letter Quest Remastered

FEB
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Overcooked

Utterly, utterly superb multiplayer fun that's captivated everyone who's played it.  Got three stars on every level too (although slightly annoyed that only player 1 gets the achievements for completing the game and three-starring all the levels - so it's all gone on my son's profile!)  Still got a few of the DLC levels to finish off.  I hope they do some more.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
January
LEGO Dimensions
Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls
Apotheon
The Playroom VR
Azkend 2: The World Beneath

February
Day of the Tentacle - Played through for trophies only, since it was free and relatively quick. Yes, I used a trophy-based walkthrough. I've never been a fan (I think the only P&C stuff I've ever liked was Full Throttle... yeah, I'm not even fond of Monkey Island), so frankly I just wanted it over with. Done, platinum, delete.
Letter Quest Remastered - Fine for what it was, but damn if it didn't drag things out to excess. I've done everything there is to do, but I'm still just under 1,000 words short of the last trophy; cue a massive grind ahead of me in Endless mode to get that. If having one missing trophy didn't annoy me so much, I'd have deleted it by now. Sadly, I am 'that guy'. You'd think they'd have balanced it better so that the word count trophy was pretty much when you'd finished... oh well.
Playroom VR (again) - Went back to get the trophies for the new mode, Toy Wars. That was fun, if short-lived. Good concept for something better further down the line, but it doesn't mix things up like the other modes do which makes it repetitive after only a couple of plays.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
I'm not a fan of Monkey Island either, when I realized this I thought I was a mistake in the world or something. :D

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Letter Quest Remastered - Fine for what it was, but damn if it didn't drag things out to excess. I've done everything there is to do, but I'm still just under 1,000 words short of the last trophy; cue a massive grind ahead of me in Endless mode to get that. If having one missing trophy didn't annoy me so much, I'd have deleted it by now. Sadly, I am 'that guy'. You'd think they'd have balanced it better so that the word count trophy was pretty much when you'd finished... oh well.

In its defence, we're only about 600 words off that final trophy having done all the rest of the game, and the boy's still keen to play more, so I'm sure we'll get there in the end.  No Platinum, though, which is a shame.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
I don't get why some games don't have platinums. Don't get me wrong, I understand the mechanics behind it - when you set up your trophies on the SIE back-end, you state whether your game is Small-Scale or Large-Scale which dictates how many points you can allocate to trophies and if you have a platinum or not - but why would you choose not to have one? There's no mandate from SIE saying your game has to be a certain size/length/in a box to qualify for one, so it's a choice made entirely by the dev. If you choose Small, aren't you basically saying your game isn't as good as another that does have one? Aren't you saying your game is less worthy and, therefore, undeserving of the same attention? Obviously, some stuff might be that way, but LQR is a long game to grind out everything... for the amount of effort required, it should probably have one. Stupid, really. Entirely down to a decision by the devs, and a bad one at that.

I'm not a fan of Monkey Island either, when I realized this I thought I was a mistake in the world or something. :D

Random and often illogical 'Use this with that' puzzle solving isn't fun. Doesn't matter how well written or witty the script is, it's not fun. Hell, you only discover some of the witty bits of the script because you're busy clicking everything on everything else. No thanks.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
I didn't....think MI1 and 2 were that funny either, I mean, charming yeah, but not really that funny. I still think the only bit I think lived up to the hype was the Insult Sword Fighting.

And yeah, that's exactly why I didn't like it, I thought the puzzles were supposed to be insanely clever but they were just ridiculously obtuse, but I think this is how people like it and so I guess the genre isn't for me. :/ (yet I'm still playing DotT here and there :facepalm:)

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
January
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2

February
Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns

Bioshock: Infinite

Continuing my running theme of beating games on my PS3, this is one I got on PS+ ages ago and just never...bothered with.

I have a weird history with Bioshock, didn't like it at first, liked it more on a replay and liked the sequel more than most ardent fans of the first did (maybe the more of a Bioshock fan you are, the less you like B2?) and with this one....I, well, I was already thoroughly spoiled on the story, so maybe this is a huge factor but this almost feels like...the worst one to me? :blink:

I may need to replay B2 (But I won't, lol) but the actual act of playing Infinite is kinda' not that fun, I don't think I enjoyed a single gunfight in this game, the combat is so bad and the weapons all feel very unsatisfying to use, I think the Handyman fights show this better than anything, you fight the guy a lot and he's never a great fight in comparison to the first few times you fight a Big Daddy in B1 for example.

The structure of the game just makes this worse, I never really felt too enamoured by Columbia, very pretty (at the start) but whereas Rapture had tons of atmosphere I felt like I was being guided down an elaborate shooting gallery, then a talking part, then more shooting, I think there might actually be more combat than in any of the others and this culnimates in a really bad end segment where you have to shoot all the things (actually, Songbird here was cool as shit) for an extended period of time and I just didn't enjoy any of it. (as of writing this, I'm now downloading Borderlands 2, which is about a 1000 miles in the opposite direction of how gunplay feels)

I feel bad commenting on the story, I already knew what was what but I did try to keep an open mind, it's obviously better than the gameplay and the only thing most people care about, I feel bad commenting on it after I'd long robbed it off all the intrigue it was intended to have, I don't know if it's so much better than the rest of the game that it carries itself but it's good, not enough Lutece Twins.

I think System Shock 2 is my favourite actually (whoa lads, we've got a hipster here!  :ph34r:)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
I think it's one of those games that feels worse in retrospect.

I enjoyed it quite a lot when I played it - unlike you, I thought the actual gameplay was pretty fun, the setting was excellent and the plot keeps moving at a decent pace.

But when I look back at it, it's the bits that don't work that stand out.  The bits where things were clearly cut out. The way in which the first area of the game is ten times more detailed than any of the rest of it.  The dubious themes (like the way in which it completely hedges its bets with one of its key themes, racism, even going so far as to suggest that the oppressed are equivalent to the oppressors because they smash a few things up and, you know, that's a bad thing). The inherent uselessness of Elizabeth.  None of it quite hangs together.

Still reckon it's worth playing, though, and some of the more extreme "this game is the worst game ever" reactions are a bit daft. If you haven't already, play the Burial at Sea DLC, you might well end up preferring it to the main game.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
I know of the DLC and when I read about it, it seemed like it was riding the Rapture 'nostalgia' (for want of a better word) a bit too much, is this wrong?

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
January
LEGO Dimensions
Apotheon
The Playroom VR

February
Day of the Tentacle
Letter Quest Remastered
Playroom VR (again)
Letter Quest Remastered - Got the Platinum. Done, delete, next.
Princess 30 - I discovered Half Minute Hero in the depths of my Vita download pile, so I fired it up for a play since I've only ever dabbled with it. I forgot there were multiple games within it, each with different gameplay, and I finished one of those games. It's a rubbish side-scrolling shooter that's ridiculously easy and a bit silly, but it's okay. Finished 100%, so I've gone onto the main HMH game now, which is much harder...

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Half Minute Hero itself is OK but the other games are all pretty pointless.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
JAN
Letter Quest Remastered

FEB
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
Overcooked
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

As usual we have a thread so I'll post some thoughts in there.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
January
LEGO Dimensions
Apotheon
The Playroom VR

February
Day of the Tentacle
Playroom VR (again)
Letter Quest Remastered
Princess 30
Forma.8 - Would have missed this if it hadn't been for a friend telling me it had my name written all over it, and he was right. Really nice, fairly tranquil Metroidvania about a lost space probe exploring a planet after it crashes... not too difficult, but keeps things very minimal and you have to work a lot out for yourself. Finished it 100%, managed to get the last two trophies this afternoon so that's the Platinum done. Deleted, moving on.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
January
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2

February
Final Fantasy XIII-3: Lightning Returns
Bioshock: Infinite

March

Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

A DLC on par with the big ones, like Old Hunters for Bloodborne or Shivering Isles was for Oblivion, and then just a little step further than those, don't really want to repeat myself from the PWB thread but it's basically a shorter W3 in a new area that doesn't even feel recycled at all in any aspect. Let's see Square top this with the content covered under their season pass for FFXV, I'm willing to bet it won't come close to this level of quality.

Also, just to reiterate, Witcher 3 is without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played, not in recent memory or this gen but overall, and I am truly sorry to see it go, but it sure as fuck went out with grace and some class. Speaking of which, I got the ending where

(click to show/hide)