Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Topic Start: February 27, 2017, 04:43:50 AM »
It comes out this weeeeeek.  :D

Thought we could do with a dedicated thread, away from the Switch discussion.

I'm currently going through the inevitable pre-Zelda excitement. I'm falling for the review scores (10 in Edge! Ignore the fact that Skyward Sword also got a 10, that was a blip). I'm convinced it'll be the best game of all time (despite the last truly great home-console Zelda being on the N64, 17 years ago)*. I'm convinced it'll be a much-needed shake-up for the series (despite always thinking that, and always pushing blocks onto switches within an hour).

I've dusted the Wii U pad off (literally - it looked like a prop from an Indiana Jones film). I'm checking my pre-order every other day. ZELDAAAAA! *ahem*

*Yes I know, Wind Waker. We disagree.  :P

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #1: February 27, 2017, 04:59:42 AM »
*Yes I know, Wind Waker. We disagree.  :P

Indeed.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 27, 2017, 05:15:08 AM »
I'm kind of reserving judgement / withholding excitement on this until I find out whether the Wii U version is worth buying.  If it's severely gimped then I'll probably pass.

I find Zelda games a bit variable, to be honest.  I love Ocarina and Majora's Mask but can take or leave most of the rest.  They're entertaining enough but there's plenty of stuff I'd rather play.  I know this is supposed to be a radical reinvention for the series but they say that every time and they usually end up much the same as each other.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 27, 2017, 06:23:46 AM »
The lack of Wii U information is a little worrying. It's understandable that they're only previewing the Switch version, but I can't, for example, even find info on how the Wii U's second screen is used.

I read an article today stating inventory management on the Switch is a ballache. Apparently there are lots of items/weapons to manage, and the average battle can see you going into the pause menu four or five times to switch things around. Obviously that shouldn't be an issue with the Wii U's second screen (and indeed sounds as though the system was designed with a second screen in mind), but then I've also heard rumours that Nintendo have removed the Wii U's second screen functionality.

Might be that none of those rumours are true. But it seems crazy that we're four days from release and having to rely on rumour.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #4: February 27, 2017, 06:28:51 AM »
My friend (who's already playing this) has told me that he thinks BotW is finally the Ocarina beater Zelda fans have been waiting for.

Got my Switch coming *hopefully* on Friday, but I didn't order Zelda. I do, however, have an LE package of the game coming to my house that was ordered for a friend in the US (he couldn't get it, so he paid me the cash to buy it for him and I'm taking it to him when I go to PAX in two weeks). I suspect I might be removing the game from that and playing it before I give it to him... :)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 27, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
Obviously that shouldn't be an issue with the Wii U's second screen (and indeed sounds as though the system was designed with a second screen in mind), but then I've also heard rumours that Nintendo have removed the Wii U's second screen functionality.

Both of these align with what I've heard - that the system was probably designed for second-screen functionality, but that that has now been removed.  I can understand why they wouldn't want their old system showing up their new one, but that's a real shame if so.

I'm more concerned with things like frame rate - we already know that the Wii U version runs at a lower resolution but I'd like to know how it actually holds up.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 28, 2017, 05:32:21 AM »
Information from someone on Reddit who's playing the Wii U version (I know this is ridiculous and unsubstantiated, but it's the best we've got):

Draw distance, pop in, colour saturation, lighting have all been improved and seem very close to Switch's. Only difference is sharpness due to 720p resolution.
To add on to the previous point, things such as lava on Death Mountain can now been seen as opposed to the old Wii U build (confirming better lighting and draw distance improvements)
Slight frame rate issues when dealing with multiple enemies with rain condition, but very minor and rare. He said he believed framerate during intense sequences never dropped below 20 fps, take that as you will.
When not in intensive instances, game runs at a smooth 30 fps.
Leaked launch screen on Wii U was correct, as was the icon.
Gamepad allows for off TV play, when not being used it displays the option to do so.
Pro controller works.
Wii U doesn't make too much noise running the physical copy off the disc.

Lack of second screen functionality seems to be confirmed, although I'm glad they left off-screen play in there, at least.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 28, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
That all sounds really positive actually.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 06, 2017, 04:26:34 AM »
Hyperbole warning. This could be one of the best games I've ever played.

It's such a monumental leap in quality from Skyward Sword. From anything else in the genre. It's just stunning. Previews mentioned it, but I can't reiterate enough that it really does just dump you into a beautiful, captivating, huge world and lets you do your own thing. I'm about ten hours in and the barest bones of a story is forming, but it was literally six or seven hours before I saw another person. In fact when I did see them, just strolling down the road, it was quite a shock as I'd spent so long in blissful isolation.

That's not to say the world is empty. It's positively teeming with engrossing, mystifying, drop-dead brilliant stuff, and I'd urge everyone not to spoil themselves with gameplay videos. The joy really does come from exploring this magnificent world for yourself.

Nintendo have finally acknowledged that western RPGs exist, but instead of turning Zelda into one, it's taken a few of that genre's tropes and crafted something completely unique.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 06, 2017, 04:56:50 AM »
My copy's still stuck in courier company limbo, it might arrive today? Maybe.

The feedback on this has been astonishing really, I hope it's not the usual Zelda hyperbole.  I remember everyone raved about Skyward Sword and that game had... issues.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #10: March 06, 2017, 05:04:58 AM »
I hope it's not the usual Zelda hyperbole.  I remember everyone raved about Skyward Sword and that game had... issues.
From what I remember of the Skyward Sword hype, it was more "of course it's a great Zelda game", rather than Breath of the Wild which seems to have genuinely surprised people with how good it is.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 06, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
I seem to remember (cue someone digging my old posts up and making me look an idiot) being quite harsh on Skyward Sword even as I played it. It was easily one of weakest Zelda games, and worse, it just wasn't even a very good game (in my opinion).

If the rest of Breath of the Wild keeps up this astonishing level of quality, it'll be my favourite Zelda ever. Which, by definition, makes it one of my favourite games ever.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 06, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »
I bounced off Skyward Sword originally but replayed it a couple of years ago right to the end.  There was a lot to enjoy in there but also some real issues with repetition and pacing.

I'd definitely describe it as one of the weaker Zelda games but then again Twilight Princess was too big and empty and Wind Waker always feels unfinished to me so I don't think there's been a truly, truly great Zelda since the N64 days.

Hoping Breath of the Wild is it.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #13: March 06, 2017, 06:11:51 AM »
I spent all of last night playing this. I genuinely think it's fabulous. Totally not like a Zelda game, except it's exactly like a Zelda game. Finding myself using techniques I rarely used in Zelda titles before (keeping back in combat, using long-range weapons, crouching a lot) because it's so different. Can't wade in here. I died once, because I stupidly thought the game wouldn't kill me... and then it did. Ouch.

It's brilliant. I can't wait to dig into it further. I'm not rushing, I'm still in the starting area. I've seen it said, but I agree with anyone who suggests that it's an open world game with all the flab taken out. Genuinely feels like there's always something to do and that something has purpose, not just to fill space.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 06, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
It's arrived!

It's got a mandatory installation plus an update on the Wii U so it takes a while to get going.  But I've had a very quick run around in the first area just to see how it looks (will start from the beginning again this evening) and it looks like it runs really well.  Resolution's a bit low but I'm sure I'll get used to that quickly enough.  Who needs one of those expensive Switch things anyway?  :P