Username: Password:

Author Topic: Play Want Bin - Octogenarian Edition  (Read 1146 times)

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
Re: Play Want Bin - Octogenarian Edition
« Reply #30: October 26, 2017, 04:37:00 AM »
Play - took the boy to Power Up at the Science Museum

All in all it was quite good with pretty much all the bases covered, a bit pricey for what it is though as you don’t really get long enough there to try all the good stuff, something that isn’t really helped by a lot of the offerings being on the mediocre side like they’d bought a job lot of games on eBay and thought that’ll do

then we had a look round the rest of the museum and were decidedly underwhelmed; too much text on a wall for his age & they’ve just put a paywall up around the big hands-on section

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #31: October 26, 2017, 06:22:53 AM »
Keep looking at that second Opus Magnum gif I posted and seeing an obvious way to improve its cost, maybe its area, and maybe its efficiency to boot; I'm very tempted to just boot it up here at work and give it a shot. This game has seriously infected my brain.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #32: October 26, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »

Want
Assassin's Creed Origins is tempting - I always get that open-world itch this time of year - but Shadow of War will maybe scratch that well enough until ACO sees a price drop.

...it did not.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 26, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
Aaaanyway...  Slime Rancher...  I was playing it with my son, but I think my experience of this as a father-son co-op game is rather different to your own.

Maybe not too different.  Holden is 8, but this is his first experience of first-person perspective games too. I'm actually quite impressed by how quickly he's mastered dual stick controls - although I fear I may have imprinted my own preference for inverted controls on him at an impressionable age - but he still prefers me to control things while he guides me (i.e. issues orders).  He's still young enough that the Tarrs clearly freak him out slightly, though old enough to pretend they don't.  But he does have that encyclopaedic kid knowledge of absolutely everything in the game, what slimes live where, what they like to eat, what their favourite foods are, where the best resources can be found and so on.  So he's a very useful guide all told.

It's a good father-son game though.  Mostly because the chaos is always of your own making (so eminently avoidable).  We overstretched ourselves yesterday by breeding Dervish Slimes - a kind of spinning gyroscope that creates miniature dust storms - with Quantum Slimes - which move around using a kind of localised teleport.  This seemed like a great idea, as both are wildly profitable, but we didn't realise that breeding them together would amplify each of their effects. It transpires that Dervish Quantum Largos have the ability to teleport at will while creating massive whirlwinds.  We got back to our ranch to find the entire place a catastrophic whirling mass of slimes, Tarrs, plort and terrified, panicking chickens. The only way we could regain any control whatsoever was to hoover up each of our precious Dervish Quantum Largos and punt them one by one into the sea.  It was all entirely our fault.

To progress, you'll need to feed that giant Tabby Gordo more chickens.  When you've fed it 50, it will explode.  Maybe do that when Gabe isn't watching.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 27, 2017, 04:57:46 AM »

Want
Assassin's Creed Origins is tempting - I always get that open-world itch this time of year - but Shadow of War will maybe scratch that well enough until ACO sees a price drop.

...it did not.

Was this meant to be read in the Arrested Development narrator's voice?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #35: October 27, 2017, 06:24:17 AM »
Not intended, but probably fitting.