Username: Password:

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed: Origins  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Assassin's Creed: Origins
« Topic Start: October 28, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
Played the first 20 minutes or so of AC Origins last night; not going to put much more into it until I've at least finished Shadow of War's story (don't expect to platinum it any time soon).

Egypt looks spectacular. The controls are different enough to both Shadow of War and previous Assassin's Creeds that combat is a struggle, but I think I'll get the hang of it in short-ish order.

I have no idea what's happening in the story. There's an opening cutscene where Bayek sees the Pharoah riding an elephant, then it skips forward a year to the middle of a murder an assassination. I don't know who the guy is or why Bayek is killing him. Then there's a fight with the dead guy's bodyguard, a brief exploration/loot tutorial section, and then it's out into the open world, which as mentioned looks amazing, and seems to be colossal.

Really looking forward to getting my teeth into it once Mordor is... whatever it is Talion does to it.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins
« Reply #1: October 28, 2017, 09:03:11 AM »
Yeah, I’ve got it too but I want to finish Invisible Inc before getting into it. There’s a patch due in a couple of weeks that will add HDR apparently so I might hold off for that.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #2: October 28, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
Ah, I'm a non-HDR peasant, so that makes no difference to me. Only have one Shadow of War quest left in the plot, it looks like, so maybe I'll get that polished off tonight.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 28, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
Everyone's complaining about the opening, I think it all becomes clear eventually.  And I hear there's an alternative control scheme that makes the controls a lot more like previous AC games, if you're struggling there.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #4: October 28, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
I have considered checking out some of the alternate controls. It's mostly fine, just feels weird having free run on X instead of R2.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #5: October 28, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
Shadow of War complete. I think it could have done with a zone or two fewer, and its disregard for Lord of the Rings canon borders on contempt, but it was fun. Fewer trophies left than I expected; may go back for the platinum some day. For now, though: onwards to Egypt.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #6: October 29, 2017, 03:12:04 AM »
Okay, another hour or so in Origins, mainly just doing side quests and a bit of exploration in the first zone.

It's a very, very good-looking game. I love busy switching to Senu and just soaring around admiring the scenery. It's a shame his controls aren't more intuitive, though; he flies much like the drakes in Shadow of War, in fact, just carrying on in a straight line unless you choose to steer, and you can hold aim to hover in place and tag enemies and resources. I think I'd prefer a more direct, steer-with-camera approach for the cruise mode.

Switched to the alternate control scheme; think I like it better.

The bow is wrong. Unlike almost every other game, you hold aim and the bow is both raised and drawn, and you just press fire to release - it ends up feeling more like a gun than a bow, and the only other game that I remember doing it that way was The Last of Us, and I hated it in that, too.

The menus lift a lot from Destiny, but instead of scrolling smoothly, the cursor is sticky, and clings to the buttons, meaning it's far too easy to overshoot what I'm aiming for, which can quickly get irritating in the skills menu, where there are a lot of little icons close together.

Overall, though, impressions so far are positive.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 29, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Couldn't resist in the end: had a quick look at the first half hour or so just to see what it looked like.  It's confirmed my decision to wait for the HDR patch, as it's pretty spectacular-looking and also big on the contrast between dark tombs and bright open deserts - it should really benefit from the upgrade.

I couldn't help but snigger when the lead hero burst into a house and its occupant shouted "Bayek!". It's like the game's suddenly turned into Assassin's Creed: Yorkshire. I hope he has a friend called Eehbahgum.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #8: October 31, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
The photo mode is a little anemic - you can't tilt the camera, and there are no border options - but you can still get some pretty good shots, mostly thanks to the amazing lighting engine.

http://imgur.com/gallery/fB5cP

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #9: November 02, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
I've realised something that's missing from this - social stealth. Being able to hide on benches, or blend into crowds/monks/ladies of negotiable affection was a big part of previous Assassin's Creeds, and without it, it feels less subtle.

It's also far too easy to just suddenly find myself set upon by roving guards, bandits, or crocodiles. Bandit gangs hanging around in remote parts interrupt my hallucinatory desert jogs all too often.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 02, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
Apparently the HDR patch is out now, less than a week after the release of the game. That's a lot quicker than I expected. Lots of other fixes too and an improved photo mode.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 02, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
This looks absolutely spectacular in HDR.  They've done an amazing job.  Up there with Horizon Zero Dawn in terms of sheer spectacle.

Game itself seems super fun too. Seems all I want from a game sometimes is to run around mopping up side quests in a lovingly rendered historical environment. I zoomed out on the map and just sat there for a moment or two gawping at the scale of the thing.

One question - I saw you on my map, Ninchilla.  Does that mean you were playing at the same time as me and can we interact at all?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #12: November 02, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
I don't know... I haven't played today. Where was I?

I have seen (and done) missions to avenge other players by assassinating the NPCs that killed them, and you can see other players' screenshots; maybe it prefers friends for what it displays?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 02, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »
Just somewhere in the initial oasis settlement. There was a little box on the map and I gave you a heart. Didn’t get the chance to go and check it out though so maybe it’ll all make sense when I do.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #14: November 02, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
Ah, yeah, that's a screenshot I took. Photo mode both saves to the PS4 and shares it with other players.