Username: Password:

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed: Origins  (Read 890 times)

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: Assassin's Creed: Origins
« Reply #15: November 02, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
Oh that’s interesting. I’ll see if I can leave any good ones lying around for you.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #16: November 03, 2017, 05:05:50 AM »
Some of the improvements to photo mode are quite good, but disappointed that you can only tilt the camera about 45°; was hoping for the full 90 so I could get some full-res, proper-format phone backgrounds.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 03, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »
Just somewhere in the initial oasis settlement. There was a little box on the map and I gave you a heart.

I think that means you're married.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 03, 2017, 06:35:58 AM »
I’m already betrothed to my camel.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #19: November 03, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
I got a horse from somewhere that I use, but there's a rare camel that occasionally appears at stable vendors that tempts me. 

I'm still not sure what the difference is between the mounts, as there's no listing of stats anywhere, and "rare" mounts seem every bit as common as common ones.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 03, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
I really don't like that sort of thing - seeing other players on the map, being able to leave messages for other people.  I find it sort of immersion-breaking.  I also don't like other people being able to see what I'm up to in a game, whether that's swimming off the edge of the map, dying hundreds of times to the same minor enemy, or sitting in the GTA strip clubs for hours.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #21: November 03, 2017, 03:02:52 PM »
It's not a live feed, or anything - as long as you don't take screenshots of the strippers in photo mode, nobody will ever even know you were there.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 03, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
You say that like you think he’d be able to restrain himself.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #23: November 03, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
Some random's screenshot of a topless corpse already popped up in my feed; can't imagine felt doing any worse.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 03, 2017, 08:00:50 PM »
I got a screenshot of some random NPC having a piss. Now that’s detail for you.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 05, 2017, 06:21:15 AM »
I've realised something that's missing from this - social stealth. Being able to hide on benches, or blend into crowds/monks/ladies of negotiable affection was a big part of previous Assassin's Creeds, and without it, it feels less subtle.

On further play, it seems that stealth in general has taken a bit of a step backwards. Syndicate had a pretty functional stealth system and it really added to the game; Origins is back to the Black Flag method of hiding in bushes and whistling. It's one of those cases when it becomes clear that the AC games are made by different teams and they have their own styles, but it's a shame when innovations in one game don't make it through to the next.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 08, 2017, 05:06:51 AM »
OK, so let's talk about the combat system, because I'm probably doing this wrong.

I quickly realised that my trusty AC approach of charging in and furiously button-mashing was a very quick way to get killed.  Instead I've adopted a kind of Dark Souls approach - keeping back, then rushing in, taking a swipe or two then rolling out of there again.  It works, mostly, but if I'm facing more than a couple of enemies then I either get bumrushed or plugged full of arrows.

I hold down L1 at all times to keep my shield up.  It doesn't seem to help, much.

Is the parrying the bit when you get the big circle appearing?  Or should I be trying to parry more often? That's R1 with the shield up, I think.  (Alternative controls).

I have no strategy for mounted combat at all.  I've had a couple of missions where I've had to liberate something like a cart from armed guards on horseback, and I don't know what to do about it apart from charging in, swinging wildly and then running away when my health gets low.  It feels like there's some kind of sophisticated way of doing things that I haven't understood at all. Probably using my knackered old starter camel isn't helping.

In terms of weapons, I've kind of defaulted to the sickle sword but really need to experiment with the other options.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #27: November 08, 2017, 05:12:58 AM »
Shield seems to be a toggle for me, not a hold? Maybe it's an option. Parry is just hitting R1 when an attack is coming in, near as I can tell; haven't noticed a specific prompt.

Mounted, I tend to favour a hunting bow. There's pretty generous lock-on, and as long as I ride in fairly wide circles, I can manage moderately large groups of enemies (and two phylakes so far).

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 16, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
The more I play this, the less like Assassin's Creed it feels.

There's virtually no parkour, for instance.  Even in Alexandria the roads are too wide to really make rooftop navigation a viable option.  Most of the rest of the time, you're in smaller towns or out in the wilderness, where it's not even an option.  You spend more time climbing rock faces, Zelda-style, than you do shimmying up buildings.  It's not a problem (Black Flag was similarly short on urban environments) but it's a definite change of pace.

Also I kind of miss the proliferation of icons on the map.  There aren't really many collectables, in terms of treasure chests or little objectives you can just hoover up.  There's no percentage figure telling you how much of each area you've cleared.  The side quests are proper little side stories, that spiral out in unexpected directions, in a way the series hasn't really tackled before (The Last Maharajah sequence from Syndicate is the only one that springs to mind).  It reminds me oddly of The Elder Scrolls Online, which similarly turned every quest into a little bit of world-building.

I do like it a lot though.  I can absolutely see why it appeals to people that haven't really clicked with the series before.  Even the main plot is pretty engaging.  Combat-wise, I've settled on the Heavy Blunt as my weapon of choice, which lets me play the game much like I played Monster Hunter, as a hammer-wielder.  Slow, but brutally effective, as it turns out.

I really miss the Animus database, though, and it's the first game that hasn't had all that background material to hand. I hope the "historical tour" update they're planning for next year makes up for it somehow.

Online Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: December 07, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
So that's Assassin's Creed: Origins completed then.

It does a lot of things very well indeed.  The world is huge, beautiful, insanely detailed and feels alive in a way that's hard to describe: it doesn't have Unity's massive crowds, nor does it have the series' traditional insane proliferation of icons, it's just that it all hangs together in a way that feels more natural than almost any other game I can think of.  Things feel like they're in their proper place, not just put there as part of the game.  Exploring a new region genuinely feels like venturing into the unknown.  And the side quests really help to set the scene: almost all of them are little stories about life in Egypt, and in solving the people's problems you feel more and more like part of the world.  The writing's good, the acting's decent and almost nothing here involves simply running from icon to icon just for the sake of it.

Bayek is a great character: earnest, passionate, yet with a dry sense of humour and a sense of the absurd.  He's probably the best protagonist Assassin's Creed has ever seen (although Ezio will always have his fans).  His wife Aya, who you get to play as intermittently throughout, may be even better: fierce and driven, she's yet another in a line of strong and non-sexualised female leads for this series.  The plot actually makes sense and is pretty interesting (although it's drawn out a little bit towards the end, with a number of false endings) and Bayek's anger is entirely convincing.

It's a great game, it really is. People who've been put off by the series in the past may well find lots to like here.  Even the combat system is improved (although I still don't think it's great, it's definitely taken some inspiration from Dark Souls and it's a lot better than the counter-counter-counter-hit rhythm that all the other games have used).  Personally, I don't think it's my favourite Assassin's Creed game: Syndicate, with its London setting, crazy time hops, grappling hook and murder mysteries still tops the list for me. But Origins is the best entry point for new players, without a doubt, and it's a very impressive game in its own right.

So the Garwoofoo Ass-o-meter now stands as follows:

AssSyndicate -> AssOrigins -> Ass3 -> Ass2 -> AssFlag -> AssRogue -> AssBro -> AssLib -> AssRev -> AssUnity -> Ass1