Username: Password:

Author Topic: Remember, Remember, the Play Want Bin of November  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Remember, Remember, the Play Want Bin of November
« Topic Start: November 06, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »
Play
Videogames - I played through the paperclip game. I also just found my long lost GBA charger and I've dug out all of my GBA carts. I thought that Little Miss Bloodaxe might enjoy it and I'm thinking of playing Zelda or Pokemon or something. Maybe Fire Emblem?

RPGs - It's session 21 of my Star Wars game tonight. The PCs are stranded on a station owned by a Hutt and they need to quickly get out of there, get down to a waterworld which is about to explode, save a couple million people, fight a weird mist/possession alien, help the rebel fleet and maybe save their friends who are trapped on a star destroyer. It should be a pretty exciting session.

I also just bought World War Cthulhu in the Bundle of Holding and I'm enjoying reading that (I've never read any Cthulhu/Lovecraft before).

Boardgames - I've been introducing all the kids at college to my bag of games. The other mature students have been playing Zombie Dice, Age of War and Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms with me. I asked the rest of the class if anyone else wanted to join in an ten minutes later four of them were having a great time playing Love Letter.

Want
Meh. Dunno. I'm too busy with college and life and RPGs to really want anything.

A Switch with Zelda and Mario would be nice but it's so expensive I can't really justify it.

Bin
The real world. All of it. Good god it's such a mess right now.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Re: Remember, Remember, the Play Want Bin of November
« Reply #1: November 06, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
Bin
The real world. All of it. Good god it's such a mess right now.

Seconded. And it's not going to get better for a very, very, VERY long time. Enjoy it while you can!

PLAY
Super Mario Odyssey - Really enjoying this. Haven't played a game this much (or wanted to play a game this much) for ages. Very happy about that.
Fire Emblem Warriors - Hope I can get back into this once I'm done with Mario.
Pinball FX3 - Forever and always my go-to game. I own all the tables available now. ALL OF THEM. Getting the trophy for each one is my new lifetime ambition.

WANT
Those new Zelda amiibo - Two weeks! That means big meaty Zelda DLC is right around the corner. Hope I'm done with Mario before that happens.
The Pokémon New 2DS - Was going to grab this, but then I accidentally found out I'm getting it for Christmas. So, yay for that.
Some of the things on my PSN wishlist to be discounted - That's inevitable, right? I just hope they're discounted enough to get me into insta-purchase mode.

BIN
My new house - It's a house. It doesn't feel like a home, it just feels like a place where we happen to be (renting, not owning). Going to be about two years before we can go anywhere else though, so I hope I grow into it.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #2: November 06, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »
Play
Assassin's Creed Origins - it's the best AC since Black Flag, and might be one of the best-looking games of the generation to date. The combat is a bit crap (or, I'm crap at it) and it's missing the social stealth/blending stuff that was such a key part of AC for a long time, but I'm having a lot of fun. There's an insane amount of stuff to do in it, too, so it's going to last me an age.

Want
The Horizon Zero Dawn expansion, The Frozen Wilds, is out tomorrow, as is the Hitman GOTY update. Both of those, please.

I have too many games I need to finish...

Bin
Destiny 2 hasn't seen much action lately; maybe I'll be back when the Season 2 changes to live, but for now there's too much that's a more attractive use of gaming time.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 08, 2017, 04:18:43 AM »
Play

Assassin's Creed: Origins - I'm a huge fan of AssCreed anyway so this was an easy sell; it's nice to see everyone else enjoying it for a change too.  The world-building in this really is absolutely stunning, even for a series where that's always been a major strength, and little changes like removing the mini-map have completely changed the way in which the game works, for the better I think.  The only thing I'm not entirely sold on yet is the combat system, which is more sophisticated but also significantly harder: I'm getting my arse handed to me on a regular basis, and part of me missing that AC feeling of being a complete badass from the start (in Origins, you are not, not at all).  But I guess it all helps to make it feel like a bigger, more challenging game, and I'm going to be playing this for aaaages.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U - which is actually the game's proper title, oddly enough.  I've had this since launch and played it a fair bit over the years but my boy's now old enough to play it properly and he puts up a pretty good fight, even if he rarely diversifies from playing as Pikachu.  I'd forgotten just how much stuff this game has in it - nearly 60 characters, dozens of stages, custom moves, and different modes and options and unlockables all over the place.  As a single-player game, it's a bit unfocused, with no obvious route through the game; as a multiplayer toybox it's an absolute delight, and we're never short of things to do.

Want

Nintendo Switch - which I'm getting for Christmas, along with Mario Odyssey.

Monster Hunter World - which is looking phenomenally good.  And is another absolutely enormous game that will consume my time for months.  I'm sometimes amazed anyone manages to play more than about four games a year these days, they're massive time sinks compared to what we used to get.

Bin

I guess "the Tories" is a bit obvious, but honestly, has there ever been a government that's both so corrupt yet also so incompetent?  It's like they're even useless at being evil.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #4: November 08, 2017, 04:53:37 AM »
Play

Assassin's Creed: Origins - [...] The only thing I'm not entirely sold on yet is the combat system, which is more sophisticated but also significantly harder: I'm getting my arse handed to me on a regular basis, and part of me missing that AC feeling of being a complete badass from the start (in Origins, you are not, not at all).

I think the biggest problem with Origins' combat is parrying. Having to remember to toggle the shield on, then press the parry button, is overcomplex and counterintuitive. Why doesn't it contextually just change crouch to parry while in combat? Or auto-raise the shield? If I'm using a shield, in what context am I not going to want to use it? The defensive stance doesn't prevent you from attacking, why even bother having two states?

The other issue is facing; in The Witcher, or Shadow of Mordor/War, or the Arkham games, the parry button doesn't require you to be facing the enemy attacking you, you can parry or counter attacks from behind, the side... even if you time the button press right in Origins, if you're at slightly the wrong angle, it doesn't work. Locking on helps a bit, but only in small fights; as soon as there are more than two or three enemies (or, gods help you, a crocodile), it's useless.

Oh, and chariot racing is bollocks, too.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #5: November 08, 2017, 04:56:09 AM »
Bin
I guess "the Tories" is a bit obvious, but honestly, has there ever been a government that's both so corrupt yet also so incompetent?  It's like they're even useless at being evil.

What's painful about the whole political situation is how useless I feel about it. Seems like there's nothing to be done, the elite keep getting cuntier and the rest of us suffer. Gah.  :unsure:

Anyway...

Additional PLAY
Cuphead - ... which isn't what I thought it was? Seems going dark on things I'm interested in isn't always for the best, because I'd seen this as a platformer with tough bosses ala Contra. It's not that at all though, because for the most part it's just a giant boss rush - you're thrown straight in with a massive enemy and left to get on with it, dying over and over until you get the patterns down. There are a few 'run and gun' sections which are okay, but they feel decidedly tacked on compared to the rest of the action. Also, it's definitely hard as people are saying but I don't think it's hard in a good way; when you die, as you inevitably will, it's always in a way that makes you roll your eyes and sigh rather than think it's totally your fault. Managed to get through the whole of the first world last night (there are three in total), and it's... okay, I guess? Not the amazing thing everyone said it was, nor the terrible thing everyone said it was. Definitely pretty, but that can only get you so far (as I myself can attest). Hmm.

Additional BIN
Awards ceremonies and the whole general thing around them - I had a plan this year: get accepted into BAFTA, get on the prelim voting panel (which is basically all BAFTA members working in the games industry) and get loads of free games. The plan so far has worked, and I've got things like Destiny 2, Cuphead and a bunch of other smaller but no-less-good titles all sitting on my consoles, waiting to be played. But being part of this process and seeing the nominations as they come in makes me realise just how bullshit the whole thing is and why there really isn't much point putting your name in the hat for these things, given that I've been on the other side too of getting a game nominated and then providing copies to would-be judges.

Take the Best Game category, which is naturally the biggest accolade on the list. There are already 43 games in that category for consideration, some of which you'll have heard of - Heat Signature, Hellblade, Flinthook, RiME, Monument Valley 2 and so on. Most of them, however, are minor indie titles that either came and went (see The Sexy Brutale, which I played on release and quite liked) or ones you've never heard of (The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker or Wunderdokter, anyone?). And then there's Destiny 2, which sits among all of the nominees like some giant gorilla attending a doll's tea party. The idea, of course, is for a judge to consider all titles carefully, play as many of them as possible and then make a decision - that's what I'm trying to do. But I know for a fact that a lot of people with access don't do that and simply pick the one they've heard of the most. Because that's how winning awards works, right? And never mind the ones who pester you for a physical copy of the game when you've only got digital codes, because that's just the worst - I ended up having to report one guy in the year we were nominating, and it turned out he was using the system to get free physical copies before selling them on for cash. What a douche. And never mind the award organisers who then gerrymander nominees to buy tickets for the event at a ridiculous price, because hey you can't win if you're not there, right? Right?

So, yes, fuck awards. Fuck the old-boy mentality that sees the same people winning things year after year (so, like when 505 Games won Best Indie Label at the MCVs in a year when their only release was Don Bradbury's fucking Cricket) and the lazy-ass judges who can't be bothered to do the research needed to vote properly. What a completely corrupt and pointless shitshow.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #6: November 11, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
Play
I realised how close to danger I was with Mario Odyssey, so I've decided to book it through the kingdoms for a bit to get through the plot before trying to rinse them wears me out. In contrast, getting stuck on the final level of chapter 3 in Opus Magnum has me going back through the earlier levels to try and get a better grasp on the funadmentals. Destiny 2 still gets the occasional outing, mostly to get the weekly Milestone gear - I'm sitting on 303 at the moment, but it'll take an RNG miracle to get the specific gear (Warlock Bond, Scout Rifle and SMG) to get me all the way to 305. Still, I never made it near the cap in the first Destiny, so that's not bad going.

And I need to get back into Mario + Rabbids and Golf Story at some point.

Want
Mostly, I just want to get past this level in Opus Magnum. God, it can't be as complicated as my efficiency-addicted brain is trying to make it, out of the gate. I've got Assassin's Creed: Origins tempting the back of my mind, but I know that if I ignore it for long enough I'll forget it ever came out. It's very pretty, though, and I've not played an AC since 3, so maybe it's time to go back.

I'm waiting for the War of the Chosen expansion for XCOM 2 to land in a Steam sale so I can get stuck into that, or at least that's what I tell myself it'll take to get back into XCOM 2.

Bin
I would say long train journeys, but those are thankfully behind me by now. Wouldn't have been so bad with company, but being solo on the East Coast line for six hours twice in four days has given me my fill of strangers.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 12, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Play

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus.

The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre - the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notice that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Despite being a game, Wolfenstein did not not come to fucking play.

« Reply #8: November 13, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »
I only have a bin. Deleted Fortnite at 2AM on Sunday morning..

I’d been away for a week so hadn’t played during that time but with everyone in bed I settled in for a couple of games before watching a film. I kept playing for somewhere in the region of 5 hours. Immediate death followed immediate death as other players seemed to appear more regularly in starting spots that were reliably empty a week ago. Over the session I got back into the groove of it. Last game followed "seriously this is the last one then I’m going to bed" and then one more after that.

The actual last game before I deleted it felt like a fairly perfect win.

Landed in a house at the edge of the map, got some decent weapons from a chest. Watched a fire fight in the garden then picked off the victor. Spotted a player in the neighbouring house and took a few HP off them before hiding in the attic. Waited, saw the other player now on the roof of the other house and took them out. Waited, no other players came so headed out to the safe zone. Spotted a guy wearing the new bush camouflage heading off in front of me so followed. Lost them over the brow of a hill so nervously put a couple of bullets into empty bushes before finding the right one. After that I spotted a sniper crouched on a hill beside me over looking the depot, knocked them out and made a run for the next safe zone.

Walked into a small stone shed just as a shotgun blast wizzed past the empty door. What followed was a cat and mouse chase around the shed before the mouse ran inside and was finished off with a well-placed grenade through the door. I moved on. Chased the safe zone for the next two shrinks then had a stand-off with a sniper who eventually moved on. Ended up on the big bridge to the south of the map with four players still in the game. I healed listening to missiles screaming around somewhere further on. By the time I was done only two remained. I looked round a corner up a staircase and saw the last remaining player check the stairs then move on. I walked up after they’d gone and found them a little way ahead looking out into the larger area of the safe zone. Shotgun to the back, Battle Royale won.

After that I quit and deleted the game. It’s never going to be as satisfying as that again. I've gone through games where I don't see other players until there are 10 left alive never mind picking off 5 (in a very professional manner) on the way to win the game.

I’ve not found the duos or squad games as enjoyable as solo even with voice chat being added but I am wasting increasing amounts of time playing this game. I’ve racked up 60+ hours since it launched, it’s incredibly enjoyable but I need to stop. 

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #9: November 13, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
I'll be honest and say I had no idea what the gameplay of either PUBG or Fortnite was like, until I read the above.

Sounds almost exactly like a game I saw at PAX last February/March called The Darwin Project - it's being published exclusively on Xbox/PC by Microsoft. It was very good, but this was before PUBG was a thing I believe. Hope excitement for that isn't dampened by all this... it'll come out and everyone will think it's a copycat. :(

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aren't they all Day-Z riffs anyway?

I'll be honest and say I had no idea what the gameplay of either PUBG or Fortnite was like, until I read the above.

The above doesn't really do it justice. Fortnite is great to play and looks really nice - character models, locations and weapons have a bold and fun arcade look and the developer seems to have put a lot of work into improving the game since launch. The building aspect is a lot of fun in terms of what it does to the basic map and the game play, especially into the end game, gives same adrenaline rush as a boss in Dark Souls.

I have a real problem with online shooters, I really enjoy them but get massively addicted. Usually this tails off when all upgrades/levels are achieved: I gave up playing CoD4 when I'd reached Prestige once but there's no end in sight for this game.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Additional PLAY:

de Blob - DEEEEEEE BLOOOOOOOOB. I loved this game on the Wii, again on PS3 and now there's a remastered version on PS4. It's mostly remastered, because the game looks very nice and sharp - however, the cutscenes are still all rendered at 720p and they look pretty shocking as a result. Shame that. I also didn't realise just how wonky the camera is sometimes because there are loads of places where you're trying to look around for secrets/things to paint and the bloody thing JUST. WON'T. MOVE. Very annoying. Otherwise though, it's still de Blob and it's still lovely. Very funky and fun. Glad it's budget at just £16 as well.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
de Blob just made me remember Boom Blox. Did that ever get a re-release, or HD sequel?