Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your favourite levels in games  (Read 1123 times)

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
Your favourite levels in games
« Topic Start: November 28, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
As it says, what are peoples favourite levels from games? Any games? I am making a little video currently as trying to dedicate some evening time each night to gaming and making content (rather than just teaching about it. And currently struggling to think of levels that arent from fps.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite levels in games
« Reply #1: November 28, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »
So seem to have posted before I was finished, but here is my current list

1) Dam - Goldeneye. This is probably a pure nostalgia pick, but even playing through it recently I still get that thrill. I've discovered that there is a community dedicated to speed running the levels and so its cool to see it still has a hard core fan base.

2) All ghuiled up - Call of Duty Modern warfare - its easy to hate on these games now, but I remembered loving this level and playing it again it still feels good, the game holds up really well and I love how powerless and tense that section has you feeling.

3) Halo - Halo. The trek from corridor based tutorial section into the crashed landing and opening on what felt like an open world was immense. Playing that at my mates the first xmas the xbox was out I was actually devestated I'd asked for, and was about to receive tons of ps2 games and gear. Most of that got traded in as soon as I got back to Uni in January on a Xbox.

4) Titanfall 2 - time cop - the only recent game and cant do spoilers on my phone so not going to talk anymore about this.

5) Half life 2 - Ravensholme. I keep changing this one, but am currently thinking of having this. I love Half life, the first in particular. However I remembered the set up at RH and then having to navigate through all the traps.

I was close to adding some Hitman levels, couple from Last of Us and a host of others to that final spot, but gone with those 5. Like I said very shooter heavy but its hard to narrow done games to specific levels, hence why I am interested, especially if you have any great levels from bad games.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 28, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
The first one that comes to mind is Area 5 from Rez. A study of evolution that takes you from aquatic organisms to space travel in less than 20 minutes, all set to one of the greatest soundtracks ever featured in a game (Adam Freeland’s “Fear”). I can play this over and over, like a favourite track or a favourite album. It’s majestic.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #3: November 28, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
You mentioned Hitman and that immediately brought the Opera House level (Curtain Down) of Hitman: Blood Money to mind. Easily my favourite level of all the Hitman games, though I've barely scratched the surface of the recent one so that could change I guess.

Do Zelda dungeons count as levels? If so, I'd definitely put Blind's Hideout from Zelda: Link To The Past in there. The solution for solving was, at the time, incredibly inventive.

I'd almost certainly put something from Super Mario Galaxy in there but, given my memory sucks these days, I'm struggling to remember any that truly stood out. Has to be one that everyone thinks is great though (and I'm sure once someone mentions it, I'll be all 'OH SHIT YEAH').

Childhood memory ones: the ridiculously fast plane stage from Turrican II and the Nightmare table from Pinball Dreams. If that counts as a level... but I could still play that for hours on end. :)

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 28, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »
This post will go all over the fucking place.

Hitman 2 - Anathema - since we're talking Hitman, it's the first and best mission. Technically beaten in replayability and varied strategies by many other levels in the series, nothing felt as cool as whacking the Don of a Mafia after the various different ways of sneaking into what felt like at the time, a huge villa in Sicily.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - Venice(?) - Best level design and best enemies (big ass lycans) and IIRC you also get the best weapons there (Tonfa), as is the norm for NG2 you leave Venice filled with dismembered corpses and body parts (whichcan get thrown at you by other still non dismembered Lycans). Ninja Gaiden 2 was a stupidly fun game.

Dark Souls - Sen's Funhouse I forgot what it was actually called now. But it's the place that plays like some Tomb Raider tomb with snakeheads, Mimics and lots and lots of traps and hazardsand long, thin walkways between classic pendulum saws. (Anor Londo, runner up ofc)

Final Fantasy XIV - Lost City of Andapor/The Vault/Ala Mhigo All dungeons in an MMO, I'm calling it a level tbh. Tough run between these three, all 3 are the best dungeon from A Realm Reborn, Heavensward and Stormblood respectively, and all 3 have something not seen in other dungeons, whether it's the amazing music of LC, the cool factor of fighting Knights of the Round in Vault or the spectacle of moving through a battlefield in Ala Mhigo (you fight the FF7 Scorpion mech too!) and they all feel like actual places and not obvious corridoors connecting boss fights.

Tekken 5 - Moonlit Wilderness - Eh, it's a stage, simple moonlit (shocker) field of flowers, with the best song in the game.

Silent Hill 1 - Primary School - It's fucking terrifying. I swear this game has been somewhat unfairly overshadowed by SH2, I do like SH2 obviously, but...SH1 is scarier.

Sonic Adventure 2 - City Escape Yeah, you heard me. 3D Sonic games can fuck off usually, The song for thel evel makes it but something about the carefree nature of running down a building andgrinding down rails to that song made it really memorable. I'd mention Green Hill Zone but to be honest, I don't care about Sonic enough to do two entries and I wanted to throw a curveball and do this instead.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #5: November 29, 2017, 02:17:11 AM »
This is really tough, especially trying to avoid shooters...

Banjo-Kazooie - Mumbo's Mountain - mainly, probably, as it's one of the first things I ever played on N64, but this really sticks in my mind as being a real "wow!" moment (I hadn't played Mario 64). The soundtrack morphing as you move around the level is particularly great.

Tomb Raider - The Lost Valley. Sudden dinosaur. They ruined it in the Anniversary remake, and turned the T-Rex into just another QTE boss fight.

Dishonored - High Overseer Campbell - or, the first time Dishonored lets you really cut loose. Like most of Dishonored, it feels huge, the environment is stuffed with story details and alternate routes, and you get the opportunity to brand a man's face. What's not to like?

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #6: November 29, 2017, 04:52:34 AM »
Dark Souls - Sen's Funhouse

Fortress. But I prefer yours better. :D

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 29, 2017, 05:04:01 AM »
Super Mario Odyssey The festival (won't spoil it, but it made me oddly emotional)

Call of Duty 1 Pegasus Bridge. British troops attempting to hold Pegasus Bridge, you get slowly overwhelmed by the enemy and the most heart-aching, haunting piece of orchestral music starts playing. You're going to die. You accept it. And then the joyous moment when the reinforcements arrive. It's a moment that's been repurposed in every CoD campaign I've played, but none of them quite captured the melancholic beauty of this first one.

Mario Galaxy Gusty Garden Galaxy. The best bit of the best game in the best game series.

Majora's Mask Clock Town. I'd argue this counts as a level – everyone's intertwined lives, working out their schedules, all of the puzzles, and whenever you look up, a reminder of the inevitable tragedy.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 29, 2017, 05:36:35 AM »
For Super Mario Galaxy, Gusty Garden is clearly the correct choice. But I still think Bob-omb Battlefield, the first world from Super Mario 64, is the iconic 3D Mario level.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #9: November 29, 2017, 06:58:21 AM »
But I still think Bob-omb Battlefield, the first world from Super Mario 64, is the iconic 3D Mario level.

Not Tick Tock Clock then? That's the one that springs to mind more, especially since they've revisited it in other games and even as a Mario Kart level.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 29, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »
Are we talking about levels in terms of the (potentially) short segments of game? Or is it the locales that you're more interested in?

In terms of standalone levels, both my favourites from Hitman games have been mentioned, as have my highlights from Dishonored, Rez and CoD4 (all of which did actually occur to me as I was reading the OP), so I was trying to think of others, and while I was thinking about Fort Frolic from BioShock (the area with Sander Cohen) it occurs to me that it's overriding themes and areas that seem to stick with me most.

It's Rapture that I really love, rather than just Fort Frolic (although that is probably the most memorable area, after the initial Bathysphere ride), just as the most memorable areas for me in gaming aren't necessarily consigned to single levels, especially these days when games aren't necessarily split up like that anymore. I love the Ishimura from Dead Space (and it is kind of a level (or three) in Dead Space 2, I suppose), Arkham Asylum, and Yharnam in Bloodborne.

Failing that though, I'd concur on Anathema, Grand High Overseer, All Ghillied Up, High Overseer Campbell, and Stage 5, then add:

Castle Cainhurst - Bloodborne - I wanted to put Central Yharnham, or Hemwick Charnel Lane, or maybe Old Yharnam, but Bloodborne feels so interconnected as a world to me that for the most part it seems odd to separate it. It's also hard for me to pick a favourite, to be honest. Castle Cainhurst is a solid choice then, as it's one of the few parts of the game that (literally) stands alone, is still brilliant, and is actually also completely optional.

Fort Frolic - BioShock - as above; it's among the most memorable areas in a game full of them.

Stage 8 / Bio Base - Thunder Force IV - the music to this level will never, ever, ever leave my brain, and I am fine with that. I can't even tell you what the level looks like any more, really (the first level is more memorable visually), but by the time you get that far in a game as hard as THIV, the adrenaline rush and the soundtrack are more important.

Facing Worlds - Unreal - if people are going to keep saying FPS stuff, lets get a curveball in there at least. Possibly the best map in a competitive FPS ever?

Three Leaf Clover - Grand Theft Auto IV - a mission, rather than a level, exactly, but still amazing. It's nice to give a nod to Liberty City too, as it's home to at least one of my favourite games of all time (and this was pretty decent too).

Tanker - Metal Gear Solid 2 - I played this way too much when it was a demo, and then still loved it in the main game. MGS2 had a lot of issues, but I still love it. I was tempted to put the Psycho Mantis fight here, but I'm already playing it a bit fast and loose with the whole 'levels' thing as it is.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 29, 2017, 09:43:29 AM »
Don't you play Three Leaf Clover in every expansion too? But from the respective point of view of the current protagonist?

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 29, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
Oh, I don't know, I don't think I ever played any of the expansions. I just liked that it was basically the videogame equivalent of the Heat heist.

« Reply #13: November 29, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »
The Death Tower in Flashback (Megadrive). I remember it as a highlight because it cribs from Running Man but the level is slick and the wrap around structure works really well. The other thing that's great about this level is that it isn't all the difficult so, as a 10-year-old player who'd struggled to get to this point, I remember a sense of badassery at having mastered the game's move set to get through this in one go.

I replayed this game a lot and this section never lost its appeal even with the understanding that it wasn't all that tough.

Shadow Moses - MGS4 It was nice to go back as Old Snake with all the winks back to the original.

There are other bits of games I really like but I don't think I can nail them down specifically. There were bits of various Splinter Cell games and Deus Ex: Human Revolution that I played over and over before getting them "right" but they were kernels in larger levels that were fun to keep replaying at the time, using the tools the game give you.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14: November 29, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
I would like to second the Primary School in Silent Hill and the final level in Rez.

Blast Pit from Half-Life. I had never seen anything like it before terrifying and ingenious.

The infiltration of the Shadow Broker's ship in the Mass Effect 2 DLC. Launching enemies off the ship only see see them whisked away by the thunder storm.

The level in Call of Duty Modern Warfare where the nuke goes off and you crawl around a bit then die.

The Final level of Flower is still amazing. The grass springing up wherever you go is wonderful.

Level 6 of Warzone 2100, where your base gets attacked by a technologically superior force and you have to hold their tanks off long enough that you can build a research centre, reverse engineer their tech and take the fight to their base.

The Milkman Conspiracy in Psychonauts must be the winner here though.