Username: Password:

Author Topic: Your favourite levels in games  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Your favourite levels in games
« Reply #15: November 29, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »
But I still think Bob-omb Battlefield, the first world from Super Mario 64, is the iconic 3D Mario level.

Not Tick Tock Clock then? That's the one that springs to mind more, especially since they've revisited it in other games and even as a Mario Kart level.

The one that I always remember is Tiny Huge Island. Although like most early 3D platformers (Spyro, Jak&Daxter, Conker) most of the levels are little more than one big hill to run around.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 29, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
People have mentioned some of the others I was close to adding, I think I moved away from Mario 64 as I felt that might look odd in the video next to all the shooters, but like Jdub I couldn't narrow down Bioshock enough despite loving it, if I was only allowed to replay one of those games it would be the first.

I remember being blown away by the Nuke detonation in Cod4. I very nearly put a Medal of Honour mission but I am struggling to think was game it even was, it was a rescue mission from what I remember as an African desert fort. You had to get a prisoner out, get him a weapon and then escape the search lights and get to the RV vehicle.

Hitman has so many great moments though, I played that Hitman Mafia house level at my mates on a demo desk and we took turns doing different routes and ways on it for hours, until I eventually just want into town and bought the game. I actually have a big Agent 47 glossy print in a frame in my game room as am a huge fan of those games.

Offline Jimbob78

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 29, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »
A boss fight from SotC? Probably the water snake.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 29, 2017, 03:38:49 PM »
I dunno if I can put MGS in here or not as it is hard to do a start/end point for the most part but the entire Arsenal Gear part where the colonel goes crazy has to be in there.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 29, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
There's probably a whole other thread in here to do with best boss fights.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 29, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
Now THAT will be a thread I can easily slot MGS in, I could finally explain why Olga is the best boss ever. XD

Anyway:

I don't know the name but anyone remember the level in Tenchu: Stealth Assassins set in Winter in some sort of complex, the end was different if you were Rikimaru or Ayane, the boss asks Rikimaru to help him commit suicide but fights Ayane to the death because she's a woman iirc. It was a well designed level and it felt quite open ended for a ps1 level.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #21: November 30, 2017, 02:19:09 AM »

The Final level of Flower is still amazing. The grass springing up wherever you go is wonderful.

This reminded me - Apotheosis, the last level of Journey, is also amazing; a glorious, joyous retelling of the whole preceding game.

The Milkman Conspiracy in Psychonauts must be the winner here though.

HOW COULD I FORGET THIS!? Yes.

« Reply #22: November 30, 2017, 04:35:49 AM »
A boss fight from SotC? Probably the water snake.

Still gives me The Fear, thinking about getting into the lake for the first time... The giant bird sticks out for me. Watching a YouTube there's some swimming before that too.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 30, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
The boss in the lake in Resident Evil 4 I remember being very good.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 30, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Best boss ever? It’s The Great Mighty Poo from Conker’s Bad Fur Day. Just for calling the main character “an itty bitty shitty little tagnut”, really.

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 30, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
Psycho Mantis is always the first to pop into my head. Always. I loved that fight.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: December 02, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
Olga in MGS2, because she embodies everything that makes MGS2 a step up from MGS1 (FPV, attention to detail, drama, stealth) in what is at the heart, a very tense gunfight the higher up the difficulty ladder you go, like a condensed and more dangerous version of Ocelot's fight in MGS3 (she can 2 shot you, every hesitation or slow reflex can get you killed). It's a level of fight that can't have been done in MGS1 but with worse graphics and it's the first fight in the game which is like 'we put everything great about this game into this one boss package as an example of what to expect'.

Alas, like all bosses in MGS2, she's not as 'cool' as Ocelot or FOXHOUND so she gets overlooked despite being better boss fights (and bigger players in the story of MGS2)

Offline Samor

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: December 05, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
I'll add some iconic racing game levels in here :)

Daytona USA's three-seven speedway... it's "just an oval" but at least one with a giant Sonic carved out in the rocks.

Seaside Route 765 (and to a lesser extend Harborline 765) from Ridge Racer as these represent the iconic original track.

Daytona USA 2 - Advanced Course - constantly changing spectacular scenery and I think this unfluenced a ton of games that came after it, such as other Sega arcade racers, NFS2's Hollywood stage and most stages in Speed Busters and Hydro Thunder

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: December 12, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
Samor would you mind if I stole that from you and next made a 'greatest race tracks' sort of thing!?