Username: Password:

Author Topic: It's beginning to feel a lot like PWB  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's beginning to feel a lot like PWB
« Topic Start: December 03, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
Play
Videogames - Nada. I want to play something but I don't know what.

Boardgames - Introduced the college crowd to Welcome to the Dungeon on Friday, that went down well. Age of War still getting a lot of play, and Tiny Epic Galaxies. Played some Sushi Go! at home, still great.

RPGs - My Star Wars campaign gets it's epilogue tomorrow and then we are back to D&D (well, Whitehack). I might be running something for my son and his friends and a couple of the parents of that group want me to run something for them too!

Want
Definitely a Switch. Can't see it happening sadly.

Does anyone know if Pyre is any good? I love Bastion and barely started Transistor so I should probably just play that but I just heard about Pyre and I am curious.

Pandemic Legacy Season 1. It will be mine in approximately three weeks...

Bin
Shitty pointless busywork college courses which don't teach you anything.
Our annual festival of consumerism. which now starts with Black Friday and rolls on through to the January sales. I mean, I like buying shit as much as the next man but do we all have to be so obsessive about it?
My Uncle died on Thursday which was neither expected nor reasonable considering his age. I didn't know him particularly well but I liked him all the same and it sucks.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: It's beginning to feel a lot like PWB
« Reply #1: December 03, 2017, 02:58:17 PM »
Nearly started this the other day, but couldn't think of a pun.

Play
Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age - I know I'm by far in the minority on the Society, but JRPGs have never really done it for me; even within the juggernaut that is Final Fantasy, I've never made it much past Gold Saucer in VII, though I did put about 30 hours into XIII, and (even more in the minority) was starting to thoroughly enjoy it until my PS3 hard drive died and I lost it all. Don't know what compelled me to pick this up (that's a lie - it's a steelbook edition, and Game had it for £20 on Black Friday), but I did, and I'm getting along with it rather well, albeit only for around 2 hours at a time after Evelyn goes to bed. Who knows? I might even finish it!

Want
I actually don't think there's anything on the immediate horizon that's piquing my interest right now; anything on my Amazon wishlist is mid next year at the earliest, I think.

Oh, actually, I do want a D&D group. I already DM one online for a couple of uni friends, but I have a dwarven cleric of the grave I'm absolutely desperate to play. I know there are LFG options out there, but with Evelyn sometimes being unreliable to settle, I don't know that I could commit to an online game with strangers.

Bin
Nothing new, I don't think.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 03, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
Play

Assassin's Creed: Origins - by 'eck, it's massive. (See what I did there?)  It is seriously big though.  I'm 35 hours in, no idea how far through the plot I am but it's not showing any signs of reaching a conclusion yet. I've uncovered less than half of Virtual Egypt and I'm not spending half the time in the places I do uncover that they deserve.  It's not my favourite AC game - although it's gone a long way towards fixing many of the series' most long-standing issues - but it is an absolutely top flight piece of historical tourism and the side quests are superb in the way they flesh out the world and give background to what you're doing.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - which I'm finding charming and enjoyable to drop in and out of, even strangely compulsive in a low-key sort of a way.  I'm not sure there's much actual game to it really but that doesn't really matter, as a mobile game (that also cost me the princely sum of absolutely zip) I'm very happy with it.  The vitriol it's attracted from some quarters of the internet who've decided that it's trash because it's not exactly the same as a £40 game designed for another platform entirely is quite frankly tiring.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U - starting to really appreciate the depth in this now and our family games are getting seriously competitive. My son plays a surprisingly vicious Pikachu and I'm starting to really hold my own with Cloud.

Want

It's beginning to look a lot like Switchmas.  Going to enjoy unwrapping this on Christmas Day (pretty sure my boy is more excited than I am, too) and it'll be Mario Odyssey that gets the first outing. Followed swiftly by Stardew Valley, I think, which I could already play on about five platforms I already own but somehow feels more like a Switch game than most of the system's exclusives.

Monster Hunter World. If this is half as good as it looks, I'm going to have my GOTY 2018 all sewn up before January's out.

Boardgame recommendations always welcome, especially for stuff that's good with two. I'm finding everything's either hellishly complex, or needs five people to be fun, or is too random to be entertaining. Co-op games in particular are starting to feel very samey, like they've all got the same mechanics underpinning them with just the cosmetic stuff changing. Maybe I'm just out of the loop a bit.

Bin

Lots of things. I've been struggling a bit lately, standard mid-life crisis stuff I guess: work's been getting me down, home life's been getting me down, I've been sleeping badly, eating badly and drinking too much, and unsurprisingly starting to feel like shit and look it too.  I've booked a somewhat self-indulgent three weeks off work over Christmas, the first two weeks of which will be spent pretty much on my own, with the aim of detoxing, getting some fresh air, catching up on my sleep and just chilling out a bit.  Hopefully I can get back on track before the New Year.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3: December 03, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »
Your the weeks off on your own sounds wonderful. I've got two weeks in France for Christmas this year so at least I won't have to do any housework but the kids have been difficult recently and I could do with a break from them!

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #4: December 03, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
Play
I'm on what I suspect might be the final boss in Mario Odyssey, but I died several times in a row when I got there - and now it's been unceremoniously supplanted by Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which I think I'm enjoying despite its real-time combat (menus4lyfe don't @ me), wildly uneven English script (and acting). and bizarre difficulty spikes.

Still doing into Destiny 2 from time to time, but I've not even managed the clan XP limit the last couple of weeks. Looking forward to some of the season 2 changes coming I've the next few weeks though; hopefully that'll shake things up a little.

Want
Still tempted badly by Assassin's Creed Origins, but having Mario still to finish and Xenoblade just starting out, I'll probably resist for a while longer.

Bin
I strongly suspect I've got Animal Crossing mobile or of my system now - I don't think I played it all weekend, which is usually the death knell for mobile games. I'm disappointed that I never finished my "bad indie music festival" layout, but having a specific goal I'm chasing seems to have killed the game dead.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 03, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »
Play

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Easier to get into than X, less so than Chronicles, I think it stands just behind or at least even with Chronicles on a purely gameplay level so far once you know what to do, can't say much for story yet (but I like the JRPG as fuck characters so far) but as a whole package Chronicles looks like it's probably going to stand the test of time more. Without going into it much, there's a New Thing this time where you get a partner/buddy system where every fighter gets partner who buffs them in battle and enables the new combo mechanic, it's really fun so far. You get loads of drops too with random partners in them, some are identical barring an elemental stat, but they allow some level of customization to it.

Handheld Mode though...someone fucked up because it looks pretty fucking bad in handheld mode for me, I need to know if anyone else has tried it yet?

Quote from: Aniki
wildly uneven English script (and acting).

Yes, but you know this is the best quote in the game. (some of the things Rex says are SO not what a real person says in any given context, nor is it said how a real person would say it, but for some reason I don't hate it >_>)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HA9ZUtRHoQ

Breath of the Wild - Got it with my Switch, it's still GOTY tbh, horses are bullshit though which is a testament to how good this game is that it's still GOTY despite that fact. Might try to very very slowy get all Shrines this time.

Want

Monster Hunter World - Finally a MH I can most likely get the co-op hunt experience in.

Mario Kart on the Switch - My FFXIV guild have made plans to try and all have his by Xmas, it will be great.

To play Tekken 7with regularity again - Geese Howard from King of Fighters made it in recently, so now we can have Geese (KOF) vs Akuma (SF) in a Tekken game, meanwhile Injustice 2 has the teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as guest fighters and Marvel Infinite has NO X-Men, what a world we livein...oh and Noctis from FFXV has ben announced as Tekken 7's newest character, really.

A new anime series to watch - I finished Bonu No Hero Academy and it was awesome.

Bin I'm....taking a break from FinalFantasy XIV until the next patch, is this the END???  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

South Park: Fractured But Whole - Nowhere near as good overall as Stick of Truth, in my opinion, it drags in some parts, especially the really long battles (although props for at least trying to change it up). It's not as funny and the main quest is pretty unsatisfying compared to SoT. But considering I got this and SoT free it's hard not to look at how much I laughed at both games overall and not think it was well worth the price. also the mechanics on both games are pretty solid even if not a little easy for SoT and too slow in FBW.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #6: December 04, 2017, 04:53:56 AM »
PLAY
Hob - Scratches my 'non-talking protagonist exploring a pretty open-world full of puzzles to solve' itch, so that's good. Will see it through to the end, unsure if I'll bother with the Platinum since it'll mean playing it through at least twice more when I'm finished.

Injustice 2 - This has grown on me considerable since my initial thoughts, so I'll dip in and out of it over the coming weeks. Loathed to pay £32 (!) for the Season Pass, not just because of the price but also because the game has a RNG system for awarding gear and abilities to the fighters; considering one of the trophies is linked to an unlockable thing for Catwoman that has a very low drop rate, adding nine more fighters to the roster right now seems silly from an 'increasing the odds' perspective.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - Will be here for a long while yet, I think. The current Christmas event is the first instance of me feeing the pinch from a microtransaction perspective, as you need a shittonne of candy canes to unlock all the Christmas crafting items and even with 25 days to do it in, that's going to take some effort to not spend cash (which, considering I already spent £4, I don't want to do to be honest). Plugging away though and still enjoying it, even at Lv44...

WANT
Okami HD - I've owned this on PS2, PS3 and Wii, finishing it 100% every time. I'll be damned if I'm not getting it again on PS4, because it's probably in my top ten of all time. Probably.

A Hat In Time - Another game that looks lovely and pushes all my buttons in terms of gameplay, so I'll be grabbing that when it hits PS4 tomorrow. Hope it's decent like everyone says it is.

Animal Crossing on Switch - It's coming. You know it's coming. Happy to wait for it, but that won't stop me wanting it.

BIN
Temptation - Think I'm *finally* done with buying things because they seem like a good idea. Managed to spend fuck all on 'bargains' over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period, even though a bunch of games that everyone harps on about were discounted. Managed to not buy Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or some other things because I know deep down I'll never, EVER play them. All in, I'm getting quite good at this resisting stuff... even in the world of figurines. Well, except amiibo.

Booking holidays - Finally booked a holiday for next year, which should be good; we haven't had one as a family for over two years, so being able to get away at last in nice. Fuck First Choice and their robbing website though, which is a massive scam in terms of showing you a price and then pushing it up because 'the price has increased since you've been on the site' - even though you can go away, come back a few hours/days later and still see the lower price being advertised. You just can't book it at that price, because the system doesn't allow it. Happens even if you go into a store and speak to a real person... it's all bullshit. Robbing fuckers.

Offline Mr Party Hat

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 04, 2017, 05:10:27 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Easier to get into than X, less so than Chronicles, I think it stands just behind or at least even with Chronicles on a purely gameplay level so far once you know what to do, can't say much for story yet (but I like the JRPG as fuck characters so far) but as a whole package Chronicles looks like it's probably going to stand the test of time more. Without going into it much, there's a New Thing this time where you get a partner/buddy system where every fighter gets partner who buffs them in battle and enables the new combo mechanic, it's really fun so far. You get loads of drops too with random partners in them, some are identical barring an elemental stat, but they allow some level of customization to it.

Handheld Mode though...someone fucked up because it looks pretty fucking bad in handheld mode for me, I need to know if anyone else has tried it yet?

Yeah it's pretty blurry in handheld mode. To be honest though it doesn't bother me too much, I just assumed they needed to do variable resolution to stop the Switch battery dying in five minutes. It's still pretty impressive to have a game this huge on a handheld console.

I'm really enjoying the game, but bloody hell there's a lot going on in battles. I can just about keep track of everything in these early battles, but when stuff starts ganging up on me I think I'll be screwed.

I have no problem with the voice acting, incidentally. A lot of people have given it stick for having atrocious VO, but I think it's decent. The script is crap, but there's nothing really wrong with the delivery. And it's quite nice hearing regional British accents.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 04, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
I've been playing the original Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS of all things, so I'm not accepting any excuses from you Switch owners about the second game looking rubbish. It's a technical miracle they even squeezed it onto the handheld, to be honest, but it's not a looker.

As for the voice acting, well that was pretty variable in the first game too.  It's strange though that the only person on the cast list whose name I actually recognise (Jenna Coleman, in her pre-Doctor Who days) is probably the worst thing in it.  She's absolutely appalling.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #9: December 04, 2017, 06:02:09 AM »
Bad voice acting is almost always the director's fault. (When it's not the director's fault, it's the script's.)

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 04, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
Pyra is the only non brit voice, right? It's doing my head in working hers out tbh.

I'm glad combat becomes more than it appears initially, exploiting elemental weakness by understanding the combo system is pretty rewarding actually, it's made me change Blades twice on Rex and Nia just in case I need someone with Wind.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #11: December 04, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
I finally start playing a JRPG, and it's the wrong JRPG...

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 04, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
@Ninchilla - I’m on the lookout for an online RPG night. Really missing the one I’d had set up a few years ago. I’ve even thought of hanging out with strangers in pubs!

Play - I’m still grinding away at Fire Emblem Heroes, find it more engaging than Animal Crossing.

Want - I haven’t actually turned on my PS4 in ages, but am v excited by Monster Hunter.
I need to find more time to play Lord of the Rings LCG cards game, and I have the Scythe expansion due to be delivered this week, so more board game time is needed.

Bin. I’m doing a six month training course at work, and have just realised I’ve got a week left to do the first three modules that I’ve been ‘deferring’! Argh.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #13: December 04, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »
@Ninchilla - I’m on the lookout for an online RPG night. Really missing the one I’d had set up a few years ago. I’ve even thought of hanging out with strangers in pubs!

The game I DM is online, and I've found that any slight lag tends to bog the whole thing down a bit, plus makes it harder to have quiet side chats. I'd prefer to find a "live" game, but I don't know how to go about finding one locally. Getting to the point where I'll take what's available.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 04, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
Oooh, speaking of Fire Emblem, I have a new bin.

Fire Emblem Warriors - Upon becoming a Switch owner I excitedly look up this game to see if my favourite characters are in it, not only are they not hardly anyone not in the 3DS games is in it, Ike isn't even in it, what the fuck? The whole point of these games is a massive roster of the seriesi t's representing into a big chaotic mess of hundreds of soldiers being juggled into the air at once. Even the DLC is just for more FE Awakening and conquest characters.

After Hyrule Warriors was fucking amazing, this is such a let down.