Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 32012 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #660: February 13, 2017, 03:58:47 AM »
Seven Wonders: Duel

A two-player card game that's based on the larger Seven Wonders game.  It's pretty good.  You take it in turns to construct buildings (taken from a shared central structure) in order to build up your city.  You can create resources that allow you to build bigger buildings, you can pursue military or scientific victories, and you can build Wonders.  The game progresses through three different Ages with different buildings available to you in each and it all feels very much like playing Civilization in card game form.  A lot of what you can do depends on what your opponent is up to so it gets pretty strategic, you can't just concentrate on your own stuff and hope for the best.  We've played three games so far, and each one has panned out quite differently.

The only slight criticism is that the instructions aren't that great - it took a fair while to work out how to play (although it's straightforward enough once you're up and running) and there are lots of little icons on the cards that are still sending us running back to the manual on occasion to work out what they all mean.  But it's worth persevering.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #661: February 13, 2017, 07:05:40 AM »
"It's pretty good"

It's the 7th highest ranked game on Board Game Geek. it's a masterpiece.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #662: February 14, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »
I do like Duel a lot. Still haven't picked up the expansion, though, and I'm told many good things about it.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #663: February 20, 2017, 04:41:29 PM »
Yeah seen that and fancy it, barely playing board or video games currently though, hoping to return when the baby has settled down as currently either me or the missus are caring for her so unless we get a game we can play turn by turn we can't really commit too much time together.

I did pick up Bloodbowl rerelase and the SW:Galaxy thing I mentioned a page back, played neither although sold a load of Xbox One stuff I hadn't touched to get it, more so Bloodbowl because always wanted that as a kid and was never allowed it.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #664: February 23, 2017, 04:37:32 AM »
We've been playing a lot of Blood Bowl here. Started a small league with friends and its been a ball. Or pigskin. Or whatever. Even managed to get me painting a bit again. Human team done. Orcs half-done. And the rest of the releases in various states between construction to undercoated. Excepting Varag; managed to slap some paint on him, too. And Jim & Bob -- they were fun (and 100% unofficial, but they were cool). I'm not bothering with perfect paintjobs, I'd rather just get the miniatures looking half-decent on the table.

Also, if you have any Blood Bowl sitting at home spare, now is the time to sell. I shifted my rubbishy plastic Human team from the last edition for over a hundred quid (but did have three conversions in there), and the Orcs (just the 12 plastics) for over fifty quid on ebay. I was freaking delighted.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #665: March 01, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
Much fun was had with Garwoofoo and Hapimesses tonight. We managed to get through Splendour, Welcome Back To The Dungeon, Age of War, Takenoko and an Indian takeaway.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #666: March 03, 2017, 05:22:26 AM »
Indeed, many thanks to Hapi for his kind hospitality.

All the games were new to me so here are some mini reviews.

Splendor - I struggled with this one.  I'm mildly colour-blind (blues and greens cause me problems mostly) and a combination of the specific colours used on these cards and Hapi's sexy mood lighting meant I could barely tell them apart.  As such I spent so much time squinting at tiny little gems and trying to work out which one was which that the subtleties of the game were largely lost on me.  I'm not sure it was really my sort of thing anyway.

Welcome (Back) To The Dungeon - fun but simplistic.  Even with the original game and expansion combined it felt like we'd seen everything it had to offer after a single game.

Age of War - loved this.  Simple and quick with a good balance between dice-rolling randomness and tactical nous, with the ability to piss off your opponents too.  I think I'll be getting this one.

Takenoko - this panda-feeding game was very interesting. My gut feel is that it's slightly too complex for its own good (it could lose the weather die, or the irrigation rules, for instance, and be a snappier game as a result) but I did thoroughly enjoy it and it's the kind of game that will pan out differently every time you play.  I'd like to play this again sometime.  Also, the panda is adorable.

Indian Takeaway - 10/10, would eat again.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #667: March 06, 2017, 06:46:01 AM »
Never play Splendor with more than two.

So, last night, we finally got round to playing Castles of Burgundy. A top 10 BGG game, and widely regarded as fantastic. And, it is. A brilliant game, and I could see it fast becoming a two-player favourite. Only criticism is the execrable art design and component quality. But it is 20 quid, so....

Also we played Le Harve. I love Uwe Rosenburg games, and this has to be his best. Incredibly simple engine and rules (can be taught in 5 minutes), but a galaxy of potential options (mastered in 5 years?) and things to do. I'm not AP, but even I feel overwhelmed at times. A fantastic game, and one that's due a reprint this year.

Other games of note:

Endure the Stars: Kickstarted this because it looked like space Zombicide. It's space Zombicide.
Empires of the Void - slowly collecting all the Red Raven titles. This one is great. A 4X, quick playing, space-a-thon. Needs the print and play expansion to shine though. Second version is on Kickstarter at the mo, and I'm considering backing it (though the artwork is worse).
Discworld - one of our group had his first table flipping moment at this. But I love it. And I can't stand Discworld.
Attack on Titan deckbuilder - enjoyed it - solid deckbuilder with player movement mechanics.
The Goonies - fairly weak, thinly themed co-op card management game. Probably going for trade.
Ancient World - another Red Raven game. Looks nice. Seems a little thin gameplay wise.
Thunderstone - I have Advance, but bought a few of the earlier sets to flesh it out. We love this one (along with Xenoshyft).
Masmorra - CMON minis game. Simple dungeon crawler with some innovative mechanics. Not great, but distractingly OK.
Sentinel Tactics: I quite like this, but I'm the only one in the groups I play in who does.... Superhero hex based skirmish game.
Rattle Battle Grab the Loot: Highly innovative game where you build pirate ships and fight by throwing dice in the box lid. Wonderful components. Game depends on the audience.
Artifacts Inc - ANOTHER Red Raven game. I really like this, a sort of dice worker-placement affair where you're trying to collect rare fossils and antiques. Recommended.

We're also continuing through Robinson Crusoe co-op - which is sublime (but tough to learn). Oh and Scythe, Mystic Vale, Cosmic Encounter, Pandemic Iberia.... the list goes on and on.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #668: March 06, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
I love Uwe Rosenburg games, and this has to be his best.

Noted.

Speaking of Uwe, we dug Caverna out at the weekend.  It's been a while since we played it and it took ages to remember how everything worked, but it's such an incredible game.  Might be my all-time favourite, although would need to play with more people to be sure (we've never had more than three).  Everything's designed so intricately, with every possible outcome considered and meticulously weighted to ensure it's all scrupulously fair.  It's so... German.  It looks amazing in play too, with boards and components absolutely everywhere.  The only problem with it is it takes an age to set up, so you need to factor that into account before you play.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #669: March 06, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
That's why Le Harve is probably his best. If you have the tokens in little pots it takes about 5 minutes to set up.

Caverna is OK, just too many bits and too overcomplicated for its own good.

If you like Uwe games, try Bohnanza. With three or more it's amazing (especially if people really get into the trading aspect).

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #670: March 26, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »
Some more games played recently:

T'zolkin -not entirely sure on this one. Board is a sight to behold, but it is ultimately a worker placement with a gimmick. More plays needed.
Village + expansions - Fell very flat with the groups I play in, but I really like it. Has a unique death mechanic as generations of your family die and are put in graves. Only issue is, perhaps, that you don't build anything as such, but generate an abstract legacy, which I think people struggled with.
Istanbul - magnificent. Quick playing, simple to explain. Thematic. Fun. Great little filler+ game.
Clank - deckbuilder, with a map. I really like it, but some in the group think it's a bit simple. I think this is a great one for kids, or people new to deckbuilding, though I'd always be happy to play it as it's hilarious.
Scotten Totten - great little two player Knezia game. A bit like the Blood Bowl card game, but streamlined and crossed with poker.

Next up is Bora Bora, and we've also all bought into Gloomhaven and we're kicking that off next week.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #671: March 26, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
You know what would help these 'moar games!' posts? Photos. Not of you and your crazy cavalfriends, just the games. Please.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #672: March 26, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »
T'zolkin is a game that rewards multiple plays, but I'm still unsure how much I like it. Village I disliked to begin with, but now really like. Instanbul is, indeed, a brilliant wee game. Not played the others yet.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
At lunchtime, we played 5 Minute Dungeon, a surprisingly great card game that's like an actually-cooperative version of Munchkin with an incredibly tight time limit.

Each player has a character class, which gives them a themed deck of cards. Each deck has a different balance of Resource and Action cards (a Paladin has more Shields, a Wizard has more Scrolls); you have a hand of cards (you always draw up to the limit if you fall below it) to play - or you can Discard three cards to trigger your character's special ability.

The "Dungeon" is made up of a deck of Door cards (Monsters and Obstacles), two Challenge cards per player (additional hurdles to tackle) and a Final Boss. Each Monster and Challenge has a target of Resources required to defeat it - an Adorable Slime, for instance, is beaten by a Jump and Arrow combination.

What makes the game truly chaotic, is that players don't take turns. When someone turns over a Door, revealing the next challenge, people start shouting "I have shields!" or just throw cards into the middle of the table. But until you fight the boss, you don't have to throw in relevant cards - if you've got useless garbage in your hand, it can get thrown in just so you can draw new cards. Of course, then you'll end up trashing things you need for the next challenge, but that's future You's problem.

I'm not sure how replayable it'll be - there's a certain amount of unpredictability with the way the dungeons are "built", and cycling around the classes will shake things up to an extent - but we made it through two dungeons at lunch today (there's an official app to keeps you to the five-minute limit, though any timer will do - so it's really just five minutes per dungeon) and I had a lot more fun with it than I'd expected from hearing the phrase "Kickstarter-funded card game".

The one downside is that, as a Kickstarter game, it's not going to be in general release for at least a couple of months - the copy we played today arrived, somewhat miraculously, two whole months ahead of the original target date, so Lord knows when it will hit retail.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
I own this -- just arrived the other day -- but not played it yet. May have to wait for Christmas, as that's what we tend to do with the Kickstarters we receive through the year: have them delivered by Santa.