Username: Password:

Author Topic: First Play  (Read 225959 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Topic Start: November 17, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread specifically for impressions on newly released games. NTSC-uk has an entire forum, but I think that might be overkill. We can then split discussion up into stuff about upcoming releases, and what we're looking forward to (in the "Big" threads) and any first play impressions in here, whether demos, or full releases.

To kick off tonight I'll be reporting on Gears of War. Which I can tell you're all really excited about.  :lol:

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
First Play
« Reply #1: November 17, 2006, 07:08:36 AM »
I like this idea, but due to the tardy way in which I buy games I might start getting all in a lather about a game some time after it's been released.

Case in point, Naked War.  Never has my own tactical ineptitude been so much fun.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Reply #2: November 17, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »
I like this idea, but due to the tardy way in which I buy games I might start getting all in a lather about a game some time after it's been released.

Case in point, Naked War.  Never has my own tactical ineptitude been so much fun.
[snapback]30023[/snapback]

Well, lets call it a catch all for any impressons on a game you've played for the first time, no matter if it's released recently, or you've only just caught up with it.

I found this brilliant quote about Gears:

"Woody Allen once said

"Sex without love is such an empty experience - but as empty experiences go it's one of the best."

The same could be said of Gears of War."

I can't promise my summary will be as elegant and wonderful as that, but I shall try dear listeners, I shall try.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
First Play
« Reply #3: November 17, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »
I'm getting in on this.  I need to talk some more about Naked War.

I've just been given a kicking by Jon, and judging by the amount of turns it took him to do that I'm about halfway through my game with Ste before he gets around to booting me into touch.

As you might have already guessed, I'm loving this game.  It is entirely fair.  This is due in part to it being a Player vs. Player game, so there's no cheap CPU scripting to get annoyed about; but it also helps that the maps are balanced.  They are unashamedly creations for a game (no attempts at reconstructing Verdun as far as I've seen), but the advantage of that is that having a quick scan around shows you where you'll probably want to head to.  The fun comes in knowing that your opponent is doing the same thing.

As soon as I can take my training wheels off, I hope to try my hand at some more advanced strategies, and this is something that NW is excellent at letting you see.  I know that I've only scratched the surface so far and this is because my mistakes / comedy manouevres are going some way to showing me what else I could actually be doing.  (That, and I've just been handed a lesson by a Pickford.)

The games™ review compares this favourably to AW2.  By lucky coincidence, I've been playing AW:DS on my recent travels.  I love AW.  I love the maps, the battles, the CO powers and the feeling of achievement when you're winning some of the harder battles.  Naked War delivers in the same way.  Even though I've just been booted around a map with impunity, I still had fun.  I'm pretty certain that the feeling of achievement will follow as soon as I can claim my first scalp.  The only thing that I sometimes miss when sending off a turn in NW is the immediacy of having a turn come straight back to you; but then this is more than balanced out by playing against actual other people whenever it's convenient for you.

Most of you will be able to run this.  You can DL the client for free and if you register you get a free challenge credit.  I'll even send challenges if you post in the Naked War thread.  If you have even a passing interest in tactics games you really should try this.  It's going to cost you nothing.  Well, at first anyway.  You will use your free credit and then start pining for other games, but the subscriptions are great value.

I think, at this late stage of the year I can choose my top 3 games of 2006.  Naked War joins Loco Roco and Psychonauts.  I'd have a hard time picking one that I prefer out of those 3.  The game is just that good.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 10:05:25 AM by Prole »

DoktorSeven

First Play
« Reply #4: November 17, 2006, 03:54:31 PM »
So, um, Motorstorm.

Walked into a Best Buy today after the whole PS3 chaos ended for the heck of it and found this thing running on a demo PS3.  

Graphics: well, suitably high-resolution, at least better than XB360's, but man, the framerate.  The game looked like it was working hard to keep up with what looked like 30FPS, and many times the framerate really suffered.  "Well, it's a demo."  Still not very good to try and impress people with your new hardware...

But I don't care about all that, and the gameplay was just the same old racing game stuff.  It actually just seemed like a redneck version of Burnout -- Burnout in pickups and dune buggies on the side of a mountain.  Complete with slo-mo crashes and crazy nitro-boost acceleration stuff.  It was okay, but just nothing special, ya know?

And I really sucked at the whole motion-sensitive steering mode thing (I quickly turned that off :) ).  It didn't seem very intuitive to me, which doesn't really bode well for my enjoyment of the WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (*gasp*) iiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIiiiiiIIIIiiiIIiiiIIIiiIIIiiIIIiiIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...

;)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Reply #5: November 18, 2006, 06:14:09 AM »
"Woody Allen once said

"Sex without love is such an empty experience - but as empty experiences go it's one of the best."

The same could be said of Gears of War."

Is is teh awesome.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:17:56 AM by cavalcade »

Offline 4m3

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - kalexbc
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - karylindigo
    • View Profile
    • Email
First Play
« Reply #6: November 18, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
Yesterday, I bought Gears of War and Dead Rising:

Gears of War:
Well, this is better than I could've ever hoped it to be.  We had some great multiplayer stuff last night and it looks incredible too.  Is there a better looking game around?  The 'run to cover' feature is utterly superb.

Dead Rising:
Initially the signs are interesting, but within minutes of playing the game I had a plethora of tasks, a multitude of controls thrown at me and a fucking time limit.  I hate being rushed.  This had better not be a hindrance, because killing zombies is great fun.

I now have 12 Xbox360 games.  How did that happen?  :blink:

4m3
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 09:18:26 AM by 4m3 »

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
First Play
« Reply #7: November 18, 2006, 01:49:27 PM »
i seem to be unable to post to the society at the moment...

edit - ok, i can post, just not my opinions on Gears Of War.    :huh:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:51:23 PM by feltmonkey »

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Reply #8: November 19, 2006, 04:33:07 AM »
Gears of War. I've played a rew ranked matches, and a few chunks of the main campaign co-op. Absolutely superb. The cover mechanic, the graphics, the intensity of the play, especially when twinned with another player taking over the AI is tremendous. I remember one bit, in a dried out fountain, that played like the best action movie ever seen - fire from all sides, last minute heroics, the shouting, the screaming, the running for cover... Speilburgseque oh yes. GoW delivers.

Plus - the person's brains fall out when you snipe them. This = a good thing.

If this had managed to integrate a few more Deathmath types, and the Halo lobby/Live system, I think it'd be an absolute killer. As it is just a handful of bugs, and these factors keep it from total all time greatness - but then it can be patched/get DLC...

Happy.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Reply #9: November 19, 2006, 04:34:19 AM »
I now have 12 Xbox360 games.  How did that happen?  :blink:

4m3
[snapback]30044[/snapback]

n00b.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
First Play
« Reply #10: November 19, 2006, 05:19:30 AM »
If this had managed to integrate a few more Deathmath types, and the Halo lobby/Live system, I think it'd be an absolute killer. As it is just a handful of bugs, and these factors keep it from total all time greatness - but then it can be patched/get DLC...

[snapback]30061[/snapback]

i know what you mean, but this does have the effect of funnling you into the main team-based games, and this is where GoW stakes it's claim as the best live game since black arrow.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Reply #11: November 24, 2006, 12:02:44 PM »
Sooo, after scanning my friends list and seeing 145 people all playing Gears of War, I decided to take a trip off the well worn track and play my copy of Mavel Super Heroesy Whatsits (can't remember what it's called, Ultimate Alliance? dunno). And what an entetaining game it is, probably for many of the wrong reasons.

My Marvel knowledge is perhaps a bit skimpy, I have a fair collection of Silver Age stuff, but nothing recent. But the cutscenes in this were hilariously bad. Bad dialogue, bad characters (especially the villans, most I hadn't heard of, most were hilariously piss poor), and a terrible plot. The game is essentially Baldur's Gate, with 4 players, in HD, set in the Marvel universe. It looks OK, chunters a bit in places, and has the same irritating camera that shows you nothing of any use. Nice fire FX though.

After about an hour I'd killed about 5 major super villans and a large dragon called Fim Fam Foom (?) and actually was enjoying myself, in a slightly "why in the name of fuck am I playing this instead of Gears" sort of way. It does have a sort of nerdy charm, that you lose yourself in. It's also fairly retro e.g. kill bad guy A, go to door B, open door B with key C, kill bad guy D. Repeat.

One promising aspect was the online multiplayer, which allows 3 others to tag along, which should be good. I found 2 games on the go, but the two tags: SPIDOORMANLUVVER123 and W0LVER1NEISTEHBEST or somesuch put me off. I might give it a go tonight.

Overall though, rest assured in case you were in any way worried, you're not missing much by not having played this.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 12:04:03 PM by cavalcade »

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
First Play
« Reply #12: November 25, 2006, 07:58:37 AM »
The game is essentially Baldur's Gate
[snapback]30185[/snapback]

kindly refrain from referring to the travesty that was the console games bearing the Baldur's Gate name as Baldur's Gate, please.  you may refer to them as Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance, or The Shit Console Baldurs Gate Game, but just calling them Baldur's Gate tarnishes the memory of the PC games, two of the greatest games ever made.  thanks.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
First Play
« Reply #13: November 26, 2006, 08:45:23 AM »
kindly refrain from referring to the travesty that was the console games bearing the Baldur's Gate name as Baldur's Gate, please.  you may refer to them as Baldur's Gate:  Dark Alliance, or The Shit Console Baldurs Gate Game, but just calling them Baldur's Gate tarnishes the memory of the PC games, two of the greatest games ever made.  thanks.
[snapback]30194[/snapback]

I preferred the console versions.

There, I said it.

Offline 4m3

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - kalexbc
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - karylindigo
    • View Profile
    • Email
First Play
« Reply #14: November 26, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »
Yes and Baldurs Gate was released for consoles.  Ner.  Dark Alliance was released as a follow up.

You bettuh know yo history!

4m3