Username: Password:

Author Topic: News. Rumour. Gossip. Happenings.  (Read 108227 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
News. Rumour. Gossip. Happenings.
« Topic Start: October 03, 2007, 03:26:45 AM »
Seeing as we hardly ever put any rumour or gossip up on the forum (also known as cutting and pasting from kotaku) I thought we could have a new thread where we mull news items (or more likely unsubstantiated gossip). You'll note the incredible success of my First Play thread, so lets hope this follows in the footsteps of its greatness (and not in the footsteps of 99% of my threads, to oblivion).

So, our gossip of the day:

Could Bungie be parting company with Microsoft?

Kotaku Gossip

This sounds somewhat unlikely, but there has been some attempt to give credence to it by suggesting MS may retain first refusal on games, the Halo licence, and some sort of share buy back option. Who knows. Still sounds like shit to me.

In other gossip, Bizarre Creations of PGR3 fame have been bought out by Activision.

Bizarre Buyout

MS still own PGR as a franchise, but you wonder whether Bizarre will move away from racing games. There are rumours Turn 10 will be put to work on PGR5, and Bizarre will try to plug Activision's gap of a "street" racing game. In either case, it's fairly interesting, and a good move for Bizarre, as I predict the sales of PGR4 will be pretty poor.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:56:10 AM by cavalcade »

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #1: October 03, 2007, 03:51:47 AM »
I could see Bungie wanting to take a break from Hal- I mean, Microsoft for a bit, perhaps get a bit more creative freedom (though they have plenty already, I gather).

The Bizarre Creations thing is more likely, but I don't see Turn10 being burdened with PGR5, if only because if Microsoft are smart, they'll not want PGR and Forza to get any closer than they are already.  I think they'd prefer to have them more distinct products, and having the same company working on both doesn't seem the best way to achieve that.  BC buyout yes, but lazy choice of new PGR developer.  Rumour mill, I'm disappointed.  You're usually so... inventive.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:52:26 AM by Ninchilla »

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #2: October 03, 2007, 03:57:46 AM »
Rumour mill, I'm disappointed.  You're usually so... inventive.
[snapback]40637[/snapback]

Hey, this is a bread and butter thread! When was the last time you came to the Society and ever read anything current? I know we're Victorian themed, but sometimes perhaps we need to engage with the blogosphere and get out there, talking about games and events from the last few hours, not months.  :lol:  

But I'm willing to let it die on it's arse. Better threads than this have died on page 1.

Incidentally, the Bizarre thing is actually true. It has happened. Activision have bought them. I can see Turn10 becoming an in house racing studio, one year PGR, one year Forza, and Microsoft letting Bizarre do their own thing. I mean they're already doing Geo Wars on the Wii and DS right?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 03, 2007, 03:58:54 AM »
The Bizarre thing isn't rumour, it's confirmed.  I'm sure they'll just go off and do Metropolis Street Racer 2, or whatever title they pick that allows them to carry on the series with a slight name change.  It's Football Manager all over again.  They'll probably go multi-platform, though.

As for Bungie, I'd be surprised if they left.  I can't imagine them getting more creative freedom anywhere else, to be honest.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4: October 03, 2007, 04:31:39 AM »
I think that the speculative "Turn 10 for PGR 5" is really lazy.  Sure, both devco's work on racing games but there are enough substantial differences between the Forza and PGR games to make the same developer working on them unlikely - especially if you want to preserve the distinct identities of the brands.  I can imagine Forza being involved on some sort of consultancy or asset-sharing level, but if MS wants both PGR and Forza games no more than that.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #5: October 03, 2007, 04:45:56 AM »
I think that the speculative "Turn 10 for PGR 5" is really lazy.  Sure, both devco's work on racing games but there are enough substantial differences between the Forza and PGR games to make the same developer working on them unlikely - especially if you want to preserve the distinct identities of the brands.  I can imagine Forza being involved on some sort of consultancy or asset-sharing level, but if MS wants both PGR and Forza games no more than that.
[snapback]40650[/snapback]

PGR and Forza already share a huge amount of tech (e.g. Live community and photo features). I can either see the brands being consolidated (especially if PGR4 tanks), or continuing but with a new "drive" to differentiate them. Oh ho!

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 03, 2007, 08:35:29 AM »
How about the rumour that the PS3 will be under £300 by Christmas?

http://news.spong.com/article/13915?cb=902

I still wouldn't want one.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #7: October 03, 2007, 08:42:13 AM »
My problem with the PS3 is still that there's not a damn thing on it that makes me think, "oh, I'd love to play that!" - at least, not enough to spend even £300 on the machine.

Even the Blu-Ray functionality can't convince me - if it was the established next-gen DVD format, then yeah, the PS3 would be a cheap HD player. But not everything's out in HD yet, and frankly I'm perfectly happy with my upscaled DVDs, thank you very much.

Still, there's no doubt that a £300 price point will help sales, especially in the run-up to Christmas. Even I was surprised at Chart-Track's revelation that 55% of all PS3 sales in the UK were made in the first four days of the machine being on sale.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #8: October 03, 2007, 08:46:27 AM »
bet you the bikes will be rubbish.
[snapback]40675[/snapback]

The tanks should be good.

I'm not sure who said the joke there. I claim it as mine.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #9: October 03, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »
How about the rumour that the PS3 will be under £300 by Christmas?

http://news.spong.com/article/13915?cb=902

I still wouldn't want one.
[snapback]40674[/snapback]

I think at least 2 Societites will falter when it drops below £300. Prole is a given, and I have my suspicions on a second.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #10: October 03, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
I reckon Ninchilla would buy one at £300. Assuming he hasn't broken already and just not said anything about it.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11: October 03, 2007, 09:12:56 AM »
I think at least 2 Societites will falter when it drops below £300. Prole is a given, and I have my suspicions on a second.
[snapback]40681[/snapback]

Actually, when I saw that I reflexively reached for my wallet.  However, a quick check reminds me that there really isn't enough by way of PS3 exclusive titles to tempt me yet.

There's some interesting stuff on PS Network (or whatever the hell it's called), but I'm not paying £300 for the facility to download XBLA-alike titles.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 03, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »
I have my suspicions on a second.
[snapback]40681[/snapback]

oooh first tantalising bit of rumour here!  who's the second?  argh zombies?  :D

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 03, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
No, it'd be me.

It's not really a suspicion as much as I once told Cav 'if it hits 300 then I'll get one.'

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14: October 03, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »
I think I'll be waiting until I can buy a slimline PS3 for less than £200 with the next game by team Ico.