Username: Password:

Author Topic: Xbox Live  (Read 232040 times)

Offline 4m3

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - kalexbc
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - karylindigo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Xbox Live
« Topic Start: January 24, 2005, 05:07:26 AM »
Feel free to post everything Live related here. Gamertags, games list, dates/events that sort of thing. I'll keep this thread pinned, so it can be updated and reviewed easily.

4m3
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 12:15:50 PM by 4m3 »

Xbox Live
« Reply #1: January 24, 2005, 05:28:23 AM »
Help me get connected  :(

I put a post in another thread, but i think the thread was quite old....

Anyway - I have an Xbox Live pack with subscription and communicator (and free copy of PGR 2 - WOOHOO!  :D  ), I even have an ethernet cable for it. However, after checking my broadband setup, it seems I need to do some work. I have two options apparently ;

1) Fit an Ethernet card into one of the PCI slots on my crappy old PC. I'll need the PC turned on if I want to go on Live

2) Buy a "router"(?) which replaces my broadband modem and allows me to run Live and my PC separate

I can't use my existing broadband modem, because it's shat-pank and has no ethernet post

An Ethernet card probably won't cost that much, but it means having the PC turned on if I want to use Live.... where will I find a router that will do the job I want, and how much do you think I can expect to pay?  :huh:

Any suggestions? I want to get on Live!

Offline 4m3

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
Xbox Live
« Reply #2: January 24, 2005, 05:44:59 AM »
Help me get connected  :(

I put a post in another thread, but i think the thread was quite old....

Anyway - I have an Xbox Live pack with subscription and communicator (and free copy of PGR 2 - WOOHOO!  :D  ), I even have an ethernet cable for it. However, after checking my broadband setup, it seems I need to do some work. I have two options apparently ;

1) Fit an Ethernet card into one of the PCI slots on my crappy old PC. I'll need the PC turned on if I want to go on Live

2) Buy a "router"(?) which replaces my broadband modem and allows me to run Live and my PC separate

I can't use my existing broadband modem, because it's shat-pank and has no ethernet post

An Ethernet card probably won't cost that much, but it means having the PC turned on if I want to use Live.... where will I find a router that will do the job I want, and how much do you think I can expect to pay?  :huh:

Any suggestions? I want to get on Live!
[snapback]4383[/snapback]

Tell me, I got the same PGR2 pack as you but there's no sign of the Live subscription card. What's yours look like?

I got an ADSL/Router gateway, but it's wireless. It sits downstairs next to the phone line and transmits to a ethernet enabled bridge next to the Xbox upstairs.

I posted a query here: Xbox UK Forums and got solid responses, which were very handy. Scroll down till you get to Technical Issues...

4m3

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Xbox Live
« Reply #3: January 24, 2005, 05:49:51 AM »
im a bit lost with technical stuff like that, nuck.  wouldn't the router option also mean you have to keep the PC on?  i have to keep mine on, but it's no hassle really.  i would advise against wireless stuff, in case you were considering it.

anyway, speaking more generally, how about an evening of society xbox living?  we could wait for 4m3 to get his account set up, and then we would have a good half a dozen live-enabled members to round up.  myself, zombs, kidderz, 45, apocalypse dude and kid a all have live accounts.  who else does?

my gamertag is feltmonkey, if anyone wants to add me.  if your tag is different to your screen name, pm me to let me know who you are, so i dont get paranoid.

Offline Keza

• Royal
    • MSN Messenger - crazyintellectual@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IraskTheWild
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - keza_macdonald
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eurogamer.net
    • Email
Xbox Live
« Reply #4: January 24, 2005, 05:52:58 AM »
I'm, Irask, but am practically never online. :)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Xbox Live
« Reply #5: January 24, 2005, 05:55:42 AM »
particularly since you killed your xbox, i daresay.  :D

Xbox Live
« Reply #6: January 24, 2005, 06:47:43 AM »
Tell me, I got the same PGR2 pack as you but there's no sign of the Live subscription card. What's yours look like?
[snapback]4391[/snapback]

hmm..... I shall inspect when I return home from work this evening. I think it's a thick, plasticky (is that a real word!?) card, about the same dimensions as the box it comes in, with a silver bit like an Instant Scratchcard which has the code underneath....

I'll double check though 4m3.....

Koffdrop III

Xbox Live
« Reply #7: January 24, 2005, 09:15:41 AM »
I'm, Irask, but am practically never online. :)
[snapback]4396[/snapback]

On the subject of Xbox Live tags - you've inspired me to make another tweak to the forum. Thanks!

If you update your profile (My Controls > Update Profile) you'll see an extra box at the bottom where you can enter your Xbox live tag - if you have one.

Doing so will mean that when people view your profile they'll see your Xbox live tag.

Also, if you enter your tag name it'll appear with your other details below your name and avatar against your posts in topics.

If you enter nothing: nothing appears
If you enter "don't have one" then... well.. you can see for yourself! ^_^

Is there a limit to the number of characters Microsoft allow users to have in their Xbox Live Tags?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:16:52 AM by Koffdrop III »

Offline argh zombies

• Empirical
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gray+fingertips
    • View Profile
    • Pick Roar
    • Email
Xbox Live
« Reply #8: January 24, 2005, 01:24:38 PM »
Feel free to post everything Live related here. Gamertag, games list, dates/events that sort of thing. I'll keep this thread pinned, so it can be updated and reviewed easily.

4m3
[snapback]4377[/snapback]
Aw, look who's all excited and motived because he's getting Live! See you soon! The Live card is exactly like the free 2-month-trial cards they give away in games. Tall, cardboard, lots of black and orange, silver scratchcardy bit where your unique code is. I do hope you haven't lost it.

anyway, speaking more generally, how about an evening of society xbox living? we could wait for 4m3 to get his account set up, and then we would have a good half a dozen live-enabled members to round up. myself, zombs, kidderz, 45, apocalypse dude and kid a all have live accounts. who else does?
Good idea. I don't need to schedule a date because I'm generally always on, but some of you part-timers may need to mark the calendar. I'm looking at you, Felt and Dude.

Cockney Sparrow has a Live account, but he's never on because he's not allowed. //Designer please remember to put 'under the thumb' smiley here//

Will has a Live account too but, despite spending six months on a hype campaign telling me how awesome it was going to be playing side-by-side again like we used to in the real world, and despite spending over the odds to get everything connected, has actually been on about twice. I suspect it's because the Communicator won't fit around his massive bear skull but there's all kinds of neat single ear alternatives these days, not least my own.

But yes. I'll be there. 4m3 won't. Because wireless eats ass.

Offline SegaSonic

• Commandant
    • MSN Messenger - thefakeescape@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mkidley
    • View Profile
    • http://
Xbox Live
« Reply #9: January 24, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »
Haha very nice new feature Koff.

If anyone's ever up for Outrun 2, I'll be happy to leave you in the dust. :D

Xbox Live
« Reply #10: January 24, 2005, 02:01:04 PM »
Haha very nice new feature Koff.

If anyone's ever up for Outrun 2, I'll be happy to leave you in the dust. :D
[snapback]4527[/snapback]

Wait til I get my router....... I feel a challenge coming on  :D

Offline SegaSonic

• Commandant
    • MSN Messenger - thefakeescape@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mkidley
    • View Profile
    • http://
Xbox Live
« Reply #11: January 24, 2005, 02:02:54 PM »
Mate, you best be using Manual Transmission. :D

Xbox Live
« Reply #12: January 24, 2005, 02:17:06 PM »
Mate, you best be using Manual Transmission. :D
[snapback]4534[/snapback]

I would be disgusted if it was anything less  ;)  *adjusts steering wheel and pedals*

Offline Keza

• Royal
    • MSN Messenger - crazyintellectual@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IraskTheWild
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - keza_macdonald
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eurogamer.net
    • Email
Xbox Live
« Reply #13: January 24, 2005, 02:21:07 PM »

*seethes with silent rage at thought of £60 wireless gaming widget and £70 wireless range expander purchased in vain, futile attempt to make sodding Xbox Live work*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 02:21:32 PM by Keza »

Offline 4m3

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
Xbox Live
« Reply #14: January 25, 2005, 04:59:27 AM »
[snapback]4523[/snapback]

:blink:

Just because in America you can get BBQ sauce pumped straight to the faucet, doesn't mean we subtle Europeans can't kick your tri-state ass at games*. Mister.

I can promise that there'll be no noticeable loss of speed and if we ever manage to get ourselves in the same 'time and place' - we can use your fatboy connection to host. Thankyou for offering.

I haven't lost the subscription card, someone forgot to sell it to me -  :angry:

4m3

*  :mellow: