Username: Password:

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV  (Read 56856 times)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Topic Start: December 17, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »
It's Square Enix, it's an MMO, it's Final Fantasy, it's the spiritual successor to FFXI: all these things mean I'm there from day one.

Or hopefully before.  Beta test applications now being accepted - for those who might be interested.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #1: December 17, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
It's Square Enix, it's an MMO, it's Final Fantasy, it's the spiritual successor to FFXI: all these things mean I'm there from day one.

Or hopefully before.  Beta test applications now being accepted - for those who might be interested.
[snapback]89972[/snapback]

Good luck!

I'll be applying too, but my PC won't run this so I'll have to wait for the PS3 one.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #2: December 17, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
My PC should be able to make a reasonable go of it - let's see what happens.

One of the very great pleasures of FFXI was owning it on both Xbox 360 and PC, and being able to switch between the two at will.  I'm intending to do the same for FFXIV (PS3/PC) if I can.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #3: December 17, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »
I enjoyed what I played of XI (only a few hours), though I think I came to it too late when the starter areas were near deserted. Curious to see if they can resist WoWing XIV too much.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #4: December 17, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »
i didn't like FF11, but i think there's every chance i will try XIV on the PS3.  i just tend to try most MMOs.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #5: December 18, 2009, 04:22:40 AM »
I've applied for the Beta, but I don't know if our machine will handle it brilliantly. We only bought it this year, so hopefully it'll make a decent job of the task, if not quite giving me huge-resolution screenshots of turtles.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #6: June 17, 2010, 04:07:12 AM »
There's a benchmark available for this now:

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/eu/

I managed to get a score of 1795, which means "Capable of running the game, but will experience considerable slowdown. Adjusting settings is unlikely to improve performance."  A shame really because I thought the benchmark was running very nicely and it looked gorgeous.  I guess I'll be getting the PS3 version!

It's very FFXI in style, though.  Not a bad thing in my book but I was perhaps hoping for a little bit more given how radically the FF series tends to reinvent itself with every release.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #7: July 12, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
I got a beta test invite!

:D

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #8: July 12, 2010, 06:44:31 PM »
I got a beta test invite!

:D
[snapback]98502[/snapback]

Please note that due to the NDA that you have signed by accepting the beta invite you are not able to tell anyone that you are actually in the beta. You may not give out impressions, information, knowledge, screenshot, videos or other gameplay information about the game to the public at large. Doing so will result in your beta invite being removed.

(click to show/hide)

DoktorSeven

Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #9: July 13, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
First rule of FFXIV Club: don't talk about FFXIV club?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #10: July 13, 2010, 03:17:46 AM »
I haven't signed anything yet apart from filling out a form with my details as a tentative beta test application.  No doubt once I get to download the installer later today I'll have to sign in blood.

I just hope I get the chance to play it.  The installer is apparently massive and delivered via the world's slowest Bittorrent connection, plus the actual times you can play are restricted.  So whether or not they will ever coincide with the times I have available to play, I have no idea.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #11: September 01, 2010, 05:44:54 AM »
So three weeks to go until the PC launch, and Eurogamer has a proper preview up.  Sounds largely reminiscient of FFXI, although the combat has been changed to something closer to Wow - probably a good thing.  Also, looks like there will be more opportunity for soloing, something that they realised was missing from FFXI late on, but never really managed to get right (BST apart).  Most encouraging quote for me:
Final Fantasy XIV could so easily have taken the path of least resistance, neatly inserting the Final Fantasy tropes of chocobos and summoned beasts into a WOW-style framework. The fact that it's something radically different, willing to willfully ignore WOW in favour of trying out its own ideas and expanding upon the core themes of the franchise, is cause for celebration.
Great news.  I'm glad they are sticking to their guns rather than oversimplifying it - you can learn from your experiences and those of your competitors rather than copying them outright.

Gar (or anyone else) - did you manage to get onto the Beta at all?  What did you make of it?  

Is anyone planning on picking this up for PC in a few weeks?  Mine won't run it, so I'll be first in line for the PS3 version next March.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #12: September 01, 2010, 08:37:24 AM »
I did play the beta a bit, although not too much as I didn't want to spoil the final game for myself.

My impressions were very similar to the Eurogamer preview (which is excellent.  Did you see their FFXI retrospective last weekend?).

It doesn't run very well on my PC; or at least, it does sometimes, and other times it doesn't.  Performance seems wildly variable.  This is supposed to be smoothed out for the final release, but I'm not sure I want to take the chance.  If I get it, I'll be waiting for the PS3 version.  It's a very nice-looking game though even with some of the settings turned down.

It's very much like FFXI.  The control scheme is virtually identical and a lot of the design is similar.  Overall it's a much speedier game though, especially in combat but also when running around.  There's much more hand-holding and scripting in the early stages than FFXI players will be used to, and that's got to be a good thing.  It also seems a lot more solo-friendly.

It also seems very far from being ready for release!  It's buggy, glitchy and a lot of very significant game systems haven't yet been implemented or are being changed significantly between patches.  I can't believe this is going to be out in three weeks' time.  From what I remember, FFXI had a very rocky launch in Japan, and a lot was changed in the game's first six months because it didn't work properly or hadn't been thought through - it seems like FFXIV may be heading down this route, but with a worldwide launch, will US and European gamers be as tolerant of a fledgeling MMO trying to find its feet?  I suspect not, and this game may well get a lot of bad press in its early days which might harm its chances irrevocably.

Regardless, I've seen enough to know that I would certainly like it a great deal, as would any FFXI fan; the clincher for me, though, will be how suited the game is to short periods of play and soloing, as I simply can't accommodate another timesink like FFXI.  It seems to be going in the right direction, and I'll be monitoring the game's progress with interest ahead of its PS3 release next year.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #13: September 01, 2010, 09:09:57 AM »
Yay!  Thanks :)  I hope they do manage to tidy things up in time for the launch, and I hope that it doesn't get dismissed out of hand by new players, or by those used to the complexity of the systems in XI who expect something similar straight away.  The soloing element is important to me too.  I spent most of the end of my time in XI as a bst because I couldn't afford the time standing around waiting for parties, and I'm even more limited in terms of time now than I was then.  

Yes, saw the FFXI retrospective at the weekend as well.  A brilliantly written article, the kind I wish I could write.  Brought back loads of memories.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #14: December 15, 2010, 04:41:17 AM »
Has anyone been following what's going on with this game?  It is a fuck-up of epic proportions.

Square have basically admitted that FFXIV is unfit for purpose and have gone into full-on damage limitation mode.  They've brought in a completely new executive producer and development team to try and get the game into shape.  They've given up on the idea of charging anyone for the game while it's in its current state and any plans to charge subscriptions are on indefinite hold.  They're rolling massive patches out as quickly as they can - two enormous patches within the last three weeks, for instance, changing everything from the game's UI to fundamental content and mechanics.  And the PS3 release is now also delayed, with no new release date on the horizon.

Essentially everyone who bought the game on release is now back in a free beta period as Square desperately tries to salvage something from the whole mess.  But the game is haemmoraging players, unsurprisingly, with disillusioned FFXI veterans leading the exodus.

It's an astonishing mess considering this is one of Square's flagship products.  Perhaps the only reason it's not been more widely reported is because it's currently PC only (and pretty top-end PC, too - the system requirements are steep) and therefore the player base is still fairly small.  If this had had a simultaneous release on PS3, and they'd treated console players in this way, there would have been an uproar.  The irony, of course, is that everyone who was in the beta test saw this coming a mile off: three weeks before release, the game was barely better than an alpha, as indeed I posted in this very thread.

Can they salvage it?  At this stage, all bets are off.  They might eventually get something worth playing, but whether there will be anyone left to play it by that point is uncertain.  They are almost certainly counting on a full-on relaunch for the game once the PS3 version is ready, but by that time the game will have picked up such a terrible reputation that it will all be too little, too late.