Username: Password:

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV  (Read 56843 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Final Fantasy XIV
« Reply #15: December 15, 2010, 04:51:19 AM »
Meanwhile, in CityVille: 22million facebook users happily waste millions of man-hours without even reallising they are gaming.

Seriously, what are Square playing at? It's not like it's their first MMO or anything.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #16: December 15, 2010, 05:55:58 AM »
That launch sounds very familiar.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17: December 15, 2010, 06:07:54 AM »
It is all a big mess, which is a real shame because I had high hopes for it.  No new MMO is going to launch fully operational and perfect, but they should have taken the Blizzard "it's ready when it's ready" approach here, rather than sticking to their arbitrary deadlines.  Fingers crossed that they are able to salvage it now they have started to do things properly.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: December 15, 2010, 07:21:28 AM »
it's probably already too late.

the MMO market is a savage one, as several developers have discovered.  APB went under very quickly, as did Tabula Rasa.  others have found themselves struggling - Warhammer Online's European servers have been shut down, a sign that the writing might be on the wall for that title too.  i've not played APB, but the other two mentioned there are actually pretty good games.  as soon as something gets a reputation for being this bad, it's pretty much doomed.  Square might be able to rescue it by throwing a lot of money at it and taking a few sensible decisions regarding actually fixing it properly, but is it even worth it now?  by now, they've already alienated their core audience who bought it at release.  letting them play for free is a good idea, and one that will restore some goodwill, but will it be enough?  should they cut their losses and forget about it?  if they try to rescue it and end up throwing too much money into the black hole, and fail anyway, could the game take Square with it as it dies?

the larger problem is, it's a market that is dominated by the behemoth that is WoW, so any new title is up against it right from the start.  in order to temp a player away from WoW, you have to convince them to give up the characters they have invested hundreds of hours into.  typically, WoW exiles will follow the same pattern as i do - get bored of WoW, try something else, love it at first, then start to miss the community, get bored of the new title, and end up going back to WoW, where they find a game that is at least as good, and usually a lot better, than what they were playing, and has a large and lively community (of mainly idiots, granted) to interact with.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19: December 15, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
iWarhammer Online's European servers have been shut down,
Didn't know that.  That's not good.  I've never played it, so can't comment on quality, but it seemed well recieved amongst those that wanted something more PVP.
If they try to rescue it and end up throwing too much money into the black hole, and fail anyway, could the game take Square with it as it dies?
This was my first thought when I read aniki's (I presume) APB hint.  Surely SE are big enough to absorb a biggish hit though?  Surely...?
mainly idiots, granted.
This is one of the main reasons I didn't get on with Wow, it's filled with fuckwits and I never found a kinship/linkshell/whatever I felt at home with.  There has been a better atmosphere in LOTRO from the word go.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 15, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »
I'd like to think that Square Enix are big enough to withstand a hit like this, but as Felt says, it does depend on how much money they now decide to throw at the problem.

Bear in mind, also, that this is a numbered instalment of their biggest franchise: it doesn't get any bigger than this.  A high-profile failure in this series, especially coming off the back of the poorly-received FF13, could do them a serious amount of reputational damage on top of the actual financial impact of a failing MMO.

Offline Billy Brush

• Commandant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 15, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »
For me their reputation for RPG's is already completely shot at this point. I would think that's the case for a whole lot of people too. They publish dragon quest games (don't they?) so they've got that going for them.

Offline Billy Brush

• Commandant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 15, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »
With sub based MMO's - how many players do you need? I would guess just on ps3 in Japan they'll get enough to print some cash? they did expansions but not a whole lot to update FF11, so...how much does running servers cost?

I have absolutely no clue, but i would expect they could manage it on the cheap, run some server farm in thailand, take 8 quid a month per user, bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt etc etc etc..

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 15, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »
With sub based MMO's - how many players do you need? I would guess just on ps3 in Japan they'll get enough to print some cash? they did expansions but not a whole lot to update FF11, so...how much does running servers cost?

I have absolutely no clue, but i would expect they could manage it on the cheap, run some server farm in thailand, take 8 quid a month per user, bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt etc etc etc..

I don't know what kind of tech they have for their servers but whilst working on APB I saw some numbers for server rental.

I used to think that Blizzard made more profit than Croesus. THen I found out how much servers cost to rent/maintain.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: December 16, 2010, 03:05:21 AM »
they did expansions but not a whole lot to update FF11

This isn't really true.  Apart from the fact that FFXI's expansions were actually quite ambitious (and were generally drip-fed over two years' worth of content, in addition to the actual retail release), they did an enormous amount to the game, especially after the final expansion was released.  It was only at that point that they really started to move the game from an entirely group-focussed dynamic to something a little more solo-friendly.  Systems such as Level Sync (allowing players of wildly different levels to play and level together) and the Campaign mode completely transformed the feel of FFXI, and really gave hope that Square Enix had worked out how to make a great MMO.  The total failure of FFXIV after years of solid service on FFXI is just perplexing, really.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: June 23, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
Cheddar - did you get in on the beta for the new FFXIV?

Everyone seems to be loving it!  Word of mouth is astonishingly positive. I'm genuinely surprised.  Have they actually managed to turn this around?

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26: June 23, 2013, 05:02:12 AM »
Yeah, but it's been PC only till now so I haven't been able to run it. I'm waiting for notification that I can download the ps3 client and get in there. I'll check the forum again today for updates...

Everything I've heard has been positive, I'm genuinely excited to see what they've done.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #27: June 27, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
'Welcome to the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Test!'

I'm kinda interested. I'll download that bad boy tomorrow.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28: June 28, 2013, 05:24:54 AM »
Excellent.  It looks like it'll run on my new laptop so I'm planning on giving it a shot tonight/tomorrow - servers are up from now until 9am Sunday.  Let me know server/character name if you get on before me and I'll look you up :)

Update - got the invite to the PS3 beta this morning and am downloading it now.  Looking forward to this now! :)

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #29: June 28, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
I've got the thing downloaded now, and have started character creation. Seems to have a fair few options, and looks very Final Fantasy so far. This is a good thing.