Username: Password:

Author Topic: PlayStation Plus  (Read 163903 times)

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
Re: PlayStation Plus
« Reply #15: June 29, 2010, 08:35:40 AM »
I think I'll keep a little log, kinda like my gaming investment, to see if it's actually worth it for me. Currently, I'm convinced it will be; but, y'know...

Offline Billy Brush

• Commandant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 30, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »
I thought it had been confirmed that the downloads you make when subscribed do last forever. Even if you cancel.
[snapback]97953[/snapback]

Yes, they stay downloaded, but locked off until you re subscribe.

To be fair, it is a speck of turd in an otherwise presumably tempting pudding. When you subscribe to Edge you get a free T shirt, when it ends they don't come back, rip the T shirt off, and lock it in a box until you resubscribe.

It's possibly an effective mechanic for getting everyone to resub, but a negative one...they should just stick to the positive ones.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:55:14 AM by Billy Brush »

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: June 30, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
as has been pointed out, the sort of people this would be good for (i.e. those who buy a whole load of stuff from the store) aren't going to get it as actually it really isn't that good for them; unless the free games and discounts start being for new games people will have bought them already by the time they come around on psn+

as Hapi says, psn cards seem to be the best way to get a discount - now I just need to find somewhere that's selling them cheap and buy a bunch (I regret not buying more from Zavvi a while back)

on a side note, does anyone actually buy the premium themes/avatar icons?

Offline And

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: June 30, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
on a side note, does anyone actually buy the premium themes/avatar icons?
[snapback]98039[/snapback]

Have you bought any for the 360?

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 30, 2010, 10:49:22 AM »
well... yes, I haz cats

but there's something different about pricing things in points and actual money, though that does get a little blurred with discounted psn cards making everything cheaper; that and I wouldn't buy any more (doubly so with all the random free extra ones from games that I find have added themselves)

okay, maybe I should have asked does anyone buy more than one premium theme/avatar icon?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:22:16 PM by statusjones »

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20: June 30, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
Nope. But, if an avatar had been offered that I wanted, I probably would have bought it as they're cheap enough. But they're all crap so far. As for themes, I've just never felt the need for it. The dynamic LBP theme is pretty nice, though; my daughter's been using it on her ID since we downloaded it.

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: July 01, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
I had a look at the PSN cards on eBay last night - they weren't that cheap - if anyone spots any let me know.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22: July 01, 2010, 07:20:39 AM »
They've gone and made inFamous the full-game trail next month instead of Inferno Pool. Guess which one of those two games I already have?

Ah, well, never mind.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #23: July 04, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
I didn't realise that Plus gives you discounts on a whole load of stuff. I wasn't quite clear, does everything on PSN now have a + price and a non-plus price, or is it just PSN+ stuff they've earmarked? It might make sense if you were going to buy a load of stuff to buy the PSN+ for a month, buy the stuff then cancel, surely? They can't take away price reduced content can they?

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24: July 04, 2010, 03:31:14 PM »
I didn't realise that Plus gives you discounts on a whole load of stuff. I wasn't quite clear, does everything on PSN now have a + price and a non-plus price, or is it just PSN+ stuff they've earmarked? It might make sense if you were going to buy a load of stuff to buy the PSN+ for a month, buy the stuff then cancel, surely? They can't take away price reduced content can they?
[snapback]98207[/snapback]
I think you have to subscribe for a year.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: July 04, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
I think you have to subscribe for a year.
[snapback]98212[/snapback]
They definitely do three-month subscriptions too, there may be other options as well.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 27, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
So, Hapi, did your PS3 automatically update itself with the latest firmware today?

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: July 28, 2010, 06:37:50 AM »
there's another one?

does it actually do anything or is it just so that PS+ people can feel like their money has been well spent

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 28, 2010, 06:47:12 AM »
Yeah, 3.41.  It doesn't seem to do anything apart from allow the shop to intrusively recommend other titles when you're buying whatever you went in for.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 04, 2010, 06:41:41 AM »
September's deals announced:

* PSN: Sam and Max: Devil’s Playground (entire season)
* minis: Vector Tower Defense, Echoes
* PSOne Classic: Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
* Full Game Trial: Warhawk (50 percent discount on purchase), Inferno Pool
* Exclusive Discounts: LBP: Ico and Shadow of Colossus costume pack – 50 percent off, Metal Gear Solid (PSOne) – 50 percent off, Warhawk – 20 percent off, Pixel Junk Shooter – 20 percent off
* DLC: Exclusive UFC Undisputed 2010 DLC
* Dynamic themes: Exclusive PlayStation Move theme, Exclusive ‘Fish Tank’ theme
* Premium avatars: Eye Pet Blue Goalie Avatar, Eye Pet DJ Avatar

Getting seriously tempted to sign up now.  The entire season of Sam and Max?  Plus I've always been tempted to give MGS another shot, and I've never played Oddworld.  So that's three things there I actually definitely want.

I kind of regret renewing my Xbox Live Gold subscription now - I don't think I've used it once since I paid for it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:42:15 AM by Garwoofoo »