Username: Password:

Author Topic: PSVita General Discussion  (Read 145119 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
PSVita General Discussion
« Topic Start: September 17, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
So, some dev from Midway left his mouth safeties off, and accidentally revealed they have a prototype of the PSP2 in house. Clearly they took delivery exactly at the same moment Gar was spending all his hard earned money on a PSPGo.

So. What do we want in a PSP2? I'm not sure where they have to go in the market. Taking on the iPhone is surely sheer folly, so while it'll have accelerometers in it, I doubt that's all it'll have. It might be a phone, but again, iPhone says hi. Can't be 3D, can it? Will 3DS obliterate it?

What about if it was just shy of PS3 power, had dual analogue sticks and could fairly easily run ports of current gen titles? Perhaps linked into PSN with Trophies etc.

That surely is their only route? To produce something so trouser meltingly powerful it makes its own space in the market.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:41:40 PM by Brian Bloodaxe »

Offline Wev

• Empirical
  • Rebel Scum
    • MSN Messenger - rivaoni@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ARivaOni
    • View Profile
    • bitparade
Re: PlayStation Vita (PSP2)
« Reply #1: September 17, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
It's funny that the current PSP gets such a rough ride, of the current two handhelds its easily my favourite as it carries more of the games that I like. Many point and laugh at its dire battery life, but when was the last time many of those people actually played any handheld game for 6 hours when they didn't have access to a charge point? (Be it their car or a wall socket).

I think its carved out a nice little niche for itself amongst those gamers that have a keen interest in games that are less Western than whats on offer on the "big consoles" and are certainly less "mainstream" than most of the stuff thats easily available on the DS.

I do think though that Sony, and other developers, need to ignore the name of the product and try and place their focus on making games designed for it, much in the manner that Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker are, rather than trying to cram everything from an established license into a handheld format (and yes I realise those two are licenses that are from home consoles, but they've been designed in a manner thats friendly to the hardware they're on).

As for where Sony need to take it, I honestly don't know. I think they still need to try and keep the niche market they currently have on board whilst finding something that brings in the more mainstream market. I think having something akin to say, Farmville (Harvest Moon perhaps?) complete with social interaction etc could be something they could exploit, especially if they got the developers behind LocoRoco/Patapon to do the visual design side of things.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2: September 17, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
I have heard separate rumours that the PSP2 will have touch controls on the back of the device. I sounds bizarre but New Scientist had an article a couple weeks back saying that proper tech-scientist types have been trying to tell people that is how touch controls should have been done all along.

Offline And

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 17, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
Will it play halo?

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 17, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
I have heard separate rumours that the PSP2 will have touch controls on the back of the device. I sounds bizarre but New Scientist had an article a couple weeks back saying that proper tech-scientist types have been trying to tell people that is how touch controls should have been done all along.
[snapback]103841[/snapback]

yes, that makes sense when you think about it.  touch controls on the area where your fingers rest when you're actually holding the device make more sense than the current models, which require you to hold the device in one hand while poking at it with the other.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #5: September 17, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
Will it play halo?
[snapback]103842[/snapback]

Well Bungie are multiplatform now. I'm sure their next Activision funded space shooter RING SHAPED OBJECT for the PS3 and 360 will also have a PSP2 version.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 17, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
It's funny that the current PSP gets such a rough ride, of the current two handhelds its easily my favourite as it carries more of the games that I like. Many point and laugh at its dire battery life, but when was the last time many of those people actually played any handheld game for 6 hours when they didn't have access to a charge point? (Be it their car or a wall socket).
[snapback]103837[/snapback]
Well, yeah.  And I don't regret my PSP Go purchase in the slightest.  Even if the PSP promptly dies on its arse, there are dozens of quality games available for it and I now have a machine that can be loaded up with loads of them and slipped into my pocket.  It's exactly what I want from a portable machine.

Anyway, PSP2: I just want a really, really powerful traditional handheld.  No touch screens, no gyrometers, no 3D, just something with two analogue sticks and buttons that plays great games.  A handheld PS3 is what they should be aiming for.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7: September 17, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
Well Bungie are multiplatform now. I'm sure their next Activision funded space shooter RING SHAPED OBJECT for the PS3 and 360 will also have a PSP2 version.
[snapback]103844[/snapback]
I heard they were working on a top secret project codenamed Torus.

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • ICQ Messenger - 15546514
    • MSN Messenger - miskiecat
    • AOL Instant Messenger - miskiecat
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - o0miskie0o
    • View Profile
    • http://miskie.com
    • Email
« Reply #8: September 17, 2010, 07:03:07 PM »
The only place it can go and be the new hotness is 3D via layered OLED display. Though I suspect the reality is that Sony's push for the device will be all sorts of neat interoperability with the PS3.  Also, if Sony were to go with OLED technology, they could make the screen transparent..

Three positive effects of OLEDs:

1 ) No need for backlighting in well lit environments. = Massive battery savings.
2 ) 'Wow! factor' - watching a game through the back of someone else's PSP will sell the unit all by itself.  
3 ) OLEDs are flexible = making them far less prone to breakage.

1 negative -

1) Still expensive as hell - However, a small unit shouldn't be that cost prohibitive.

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 19, 2010, 07:44:14 AM »
Another use for transparent OLED's would be Augmented Reality games.

But if it was see through - and the rear was a touch screen - wouldn't all the smeary fingerprints get in the way?

DoktorSeven

« Reply #10: September 19, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »
Open by default so anyone can make a game for it and distribute said game.

Never happen though even though the thing will be cracked wide open within moments of release and we'll be able to do that anyway.  Bloody Sony.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #11: September 19, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
Anyone see the new PSP in Japan with the modified analogue nub? Suggestion perhaps a PSP2 might have a pair of the things?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 19, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
Anyone see the new PSP in Japan with the modified analogue nub? Suggestion perhaps a PSP2 might have a pair of the things?
[snapback]103880[/snapback]
Is that the limited edition Monster Hunter one designed to try and combat claw hand?

The analogue nub on the PSP Go is a significant improvement over the original, incidentally, not that you will care.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13: September 19, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
The analogue nub on the PSP Go is a significant improvement over the original, incidentally, not that you will care.
[snapback]103881[/snapback]
I guess it had to get something right.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 14, 2011, 04:26:55 AM »
Has anyone been following the rumours and leaks around the PSP2?

It looks like a super-powerful handheld aimed directly at the hardcore is exactly what Sony are aiming for.  The EDGE website reports that they are pitching it as a portable equivalent to the PS3, it'll have dual analogue sticks, and in terms of processing power it'll have the same relationship to the 3DS as the original PSP had to the DS.  They are also specifically asking developers to create deep, content-rich games as opposed to little iPhone-like apps.  Oh, and it's out this year.

All of which is music to my ears.  This is exactly what I want from a handheld.  Suddenly that 3DS purchase seems less urgent.