Username: Password:

Author Topic: Remakes and Remasters  (Read 28187 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remakes and Remasters
« Reply #15: February 25, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
Cav, do you still have JDub on ignore?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #16: February 25, 2011, 08:33:37 AM »
It's more mental conditioning rather than a forum feature.

Sorry JDub. What you said.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #17: February 25, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
3 upgraded quality games with full-sets of trophies on a single disk at a budget price? Hell, yes, especially as the price will drop over time.
1 upgraded game with curtailed trophies, probably available online only? Maybe, but only if I really liked the original.
1 re-issue of a game I have already but playable on a new platform, sans trophies? Very unlikely.

So, in general, I have no issue with remakes or reissues of any kind. Taking an old game, polishing it up and adding trophies is a fine idea in my book. I've bought several of these. Taking old games and polishing them up with new graphics, new features, and adding trophies is even better, and I've also bought some of these. Taking old games and emulating them on new systems interests me far less, and I've only bought a couple of these.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #18: February 25, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »
Lots of things I agree with here, mainly coming out of Gar's mouth/fingers/whatever (specifically regarding his breakdown of different types of updates).

The God Of War pack really pushed my buttons, not just because I love GoW, but also because it looked great. The Prince Of Persia collection, however... well, that just made me think that Ubisoft thought it could get away with as little work as possible to jump on the bandwagon (it WAS just a port of the PC versions, wasn't it?). I mean, I'm in Ianos' boat in that having all three games for £20 stopped me being as cross as I should have been, but still... very sloppy. As a result, I definitely, DEFINITELY don't want the Splinter Cell pack.

Ico/SotC is a guaranteed purchase. Mortal Kombat doesn't interest because I only liked MK2 - the original was too limited and the third one onwards introduced stupid elements (Run? Really?) that weren't necessary. I already have MK2 on my PS3, so that's me sorted. BG&E is so much of a given, I think I've already invented time travel and gone forward a week to buy it. Maybe.

Would we all agree that the Sly pack is surprisingly good though? I remember quite liking the first game, so I can see myself getting that if it's worth a punt. Especially since my little girl would love it too.

Things I'd happily see updated, despite some repetition of what's already gone before:

* Metal Gear, even though I hated MGS3.
* Final Fantasy XII, because I barely scraped the surface of it.
* Some kind of scrolling fighter... Streets Of Rage? Final Fight?
* Doom and its sequels (same game/maps, but using Crysis engine?)
* Metroid/Super Metroid/the GBA games (Zero Mission/Fusion)

And while I suspect it's more the words than the man himself, Gar's comments on an updated Wind Waker - complete with missing content - make me rather moist. I think I need a towel. :D

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 25, 2011, 10:21:36 AM »
I'm glad you qualified that last statement.  :lol:  Mind you, we've actually met once - you probably don't remember - and you seemed singularly displeased to meet me, so I think I'm fairly safe from your manly advances.

I'm probably the only person on here that won't be buying the ICO/SOTC or BG&E rereleases, not because I didn't like them but because they still seem fairly fresh in my memory from the PS2.  (Actually, I wasn't that enamoured of BG&E: too much stealth, and an ending that was far too abrupt, but I liked the style and admired what it was trying to do).  I'm still really tempted by the Sly pack though, as I loved the first game and what I played of the second: just good, fun platform games, of the kind they don't really make very often these days.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #20: February 25, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
Mind you, we've actually met once - you probably don't remember - and you seemed singularly displeased to meet me, so I think I'm fairly safe from your manly advances.

Gah... you too? You're the second person I've encountered on forums who've said that I met them and basically acted like a wanker towards them (unless you're the same guy as the first), which makes me sad as I like to think I'm generally nice to people I don't know. Certainly, meeting new people isn't something I hate - I'm certainly shy and wary due to various issues, but then I tend to cover that up by being sarcastic and depreciatingly humourous.

Actually, that might be the problem. :lol:

Please remind me where we might have met, so I can at least try and bring the moment to mind and maybe remember why I was such a dick. :D

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21: February 25, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
The second Sly game builds on all of the strengths of the first, and expands it into a far more open and interestingly structured thing.  I've not got to the thrid yet, but I understand it expands again.  If you liked the first one, I really would recommend picking the pack up - it's good friendly clean fun of the type you don't see much of any more.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 25, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
Please remind me where we might have met, so I can at least try and bring the moment to mind and maybe remember why I was such a dick. :D

ECTS, around 2003 or thereabouts.  We were introduced by Keza, who had gatecrashed my place for a couple of days with her spectacularly irritating ginger boyfriend.  In all fairness I was horribly hungover, had had no sleep and probably looked as bad as I felt, so it was perfectly understandable that you just wanted me to go away.  :P

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #23: February 25, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I REMEMBER.

Considering my mind is turning to mush as of late, that's really rather remarkable.

I also remember that:

a) it was the first time I'd met Keza in the flesh and I was quite worried, since it's not exactly the done thing for a fairly entrenched journalist past 20 to meet up with a 13-year-old-ish female reader who's been talking to him a lot over email (the fact she brought her ginger thing was a great relief)

b) I had a shitload of appointments on my list and was really quite rushed.

So, didn't mean to act like a dick. But clearly I did... sorry about that.

Hopefully if/when there's a Society meet, we'll meet on better terms. Although I might just act like a dick to make you feel more comfortable around me. :lol:

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #24: February 25, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
Incidentally, first Sly is very tough, probably not suitable for kiddies unless they're pretty gifted with a controller. 2nd is ideal. 3rd cranks up the set pieces and is quite scary in bits.

Koffdrop

« Reply #25: February 25, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
I met martTM at some Joystick Junkies event in London a bunch of years back.

Very nice chap. Had a mountain of a man with him who was also exceedingly personable but whose name escapes me right now and I'm damned if I'm logging into Facebook to find out. Oh yes, some Gamer Grrl was part of the gang too. Not sure what happened to her.

Anyway, Mr TM seemed ok so long as you don't look him in the eye for too long. Or spill his pint.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: February 25, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Hopefully if/when there's a Society meet, we'll meet on better terms.

Agreed - and if you find your job ever takes you to the capital, the London Pub Squad can normally be assembled at short notice.  We have a thread and everything!

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #27: February 25, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
the London Pub Squad can normally be assembled at short notice
That's not the impression I've ever gotten from reading the thread.

Offline Wev

• Empirical
  • Rebel Scum
    • MSN Messenger - rivaoni@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ARivaOni
    • View Profile
    • bitparade
« Reply #28: February 25, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
Was about to say the same...

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #29: February 26, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »
I met martTM at some Joystick Junkies event in London a bunch of years back.

Blimey, I remember that too... mainly because I think I won an Xbox and acted a bit stupid. Hmm.

People with me were Ryan King - currently the Editor of Play Magazine, although he worked for Official Xbox Mag loads before that - and Ella Clarke, aka Rin, who was a key member of Clan PMS (a better female gaming clan that existed before the rubbish one Ubisoft sponsored did).

Ahh, good times. :)

As for Sly, I went to impulse purchase it yesterday and discovered it was £30. Considering all the other HD updates have been £20, I can't justify that for something that I'm vaguely interested in... and yes, I know I could get it cheaper online, but then it wouldn't be an impulse purchase, would it? Guess I'll put this one on the back burner until I find it cheap.

And yes, that was me resisting a purchase. Me. The man who's nearly spent £400 so far this year. Good lord! :lol: