Username: Password:

Author Topic: Remakes and Remasters  (Read 28188 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Re: Remakes and Remasters
« Reply #30: February 26, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
I've met you as well Mart. Remember?

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #31: February 26, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
For the record, I have never knowingly met Mart. Have I missed something? Does he dispense great, insightful wisdom? Or know the recipe for the ever-lasting gobstopper? Or, perhaps, turn normal mortals into gameplaying gods?

Offline Ianos

• Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.play-mag.co.uk
    • Email
« Reply #32: February 26, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
Haha - I saw 'mountain of a man' and 'personable' and immediately assumed it would be Ryan.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: February 26, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »
Ryan? We have a Ryan?

How common.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #34: February 26, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
I've met you as well Mart. Remember?
Er... depends. When? And did you introduce yourself as cavalcade? :)

For the record, I have never knowingly met Mart. Have I missed something? Does he dispense great, insightful wisdom? Or know the recipe for the ever-lasting gobstopper? Or, perhaps, turn normal mortals into gameplaying gods?

Sadly not. However, I believe if you buy a Star Bar, you might find a Golden Ticket that allows you to come visit me in my factory. :lol:

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #35: February 26, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
Er... depends. When? And did you introduce yourself as cavalcade? :)

I think you were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar when I met you. When I met you I picked you out, I shook you up, and turned you around. Turned you into someone new. Now five years later on you've got the world at your feet. Success has been so easy for you. But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now, and I can put you back down too.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 26, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Having put a lot of time into it over the last week, I just wanted to sing the praises of the Ocarina of Time remake on the 3DS.  It is pretty much the perfect example of how a re-release should be done.

Somehow they've managed to upgrade almost every texture in the game as well as most of the character models and the lighting yet still remain absolutely true to the original look of the game.  To the extent that when you first start playing it, you think nothing much has changed.  It's only as you progress and realise that, actually, it's a pretty damn fine-looking game, that you realise how much must have been done.  Checking out the original N64 title is a real eye-opener because it's astonishingly murky and low-resolution in comparison.  The 3DS version is lovely.  Plus the framerate is completely consistent now and it looks great in both 3D and 2D (the latter gaining some very nice anti-aliasing to compensate for the loss of visual trickery).

Added to that, the only changes that have been made are sensible ones to integrate the touchscreen into the game (mostly used for quick inventory swaps, and a couple of extra buttons you can use for items - useful but not essential), and an entirely optional hint system to help out newcomers.

It's hard to see how they could have done it better.  It completely avoids the nasty upscaling effect of most N64 ports and re-releases (like, for instance, Banjo on XBLA, or God of War on the PS3), where the graphics are pin-sharp but the details and textures are obviously lacking.  It's simply the definitive version of the game.  Absolutely lovely stuff.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: November 26, 2011, 02:42:43 AM »
Interesting article at Eurogamer on whether remakes and remasters are always a good thing.

I do agree with a lot of the points here - although the author reserves special contempt for Halo: Rehash Edition, he does echo something Brian said this week about a certain loss of atmosphere in the new version of ICO and I remember being quite disappointed with the God of War collection because it somehow didn't look quite as impressive when rendered in pin-sharp detail.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38: November 26, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »
Interesting article at Eurogamer on whether remakes and remasters are always a good thing.

I do agree with a lot of the points here - although the author reserves special contempt for Halo: Rehash Edition, he does echo something Brian said this week about a certain loss of atmosphere in the new version of ICO and I remember being quite disappointed with the God of War collection because it somehow didn't look quite as impressive when rendered in pin-sharp detail.

While I do agree that we don't want to lose the originals of these games I would argue that there is no reason not to have both versions. I am particularly confused by the author's hatred of Halo: Anniversary when the original graphics are always no more than a button press away. I sure if Lucas had offered a free untouched Star Wars along with each update then no-one would have minded the tinkering.

The movie comparison isn't so relevant anyway as the tech doesn't change nearly so fast. Shadow of the Colossus benefited hugely from the upgrade to a more powerful console. Rez HD was another improvement with no downside IMO. 1

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #39: November 26, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »
The biggest issue with Halo, though, is that other than graphically, nothing has changed. They didn't remake it, it's just a re-skin, and as such it still has 10-year-old gameplay.  Fortunately, I find it fun enough (though I was never the hugest Halo fan - maybe some people are really nerding out over it), but like I said in the main thread, I think it could at least have done with the Reach AI, the Reach engine, and weapon tweaking.

Offline Wev

• Empirical
  • Rebel Scum
    • MSN Messenger - rivaoni@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ARivaOni
    • View Profile
    • bitparade
« Reply #40: November 26, 2011, 06:37:46 AM »
The one part of that that really stands out to me in regards to the writers overall opinion on gaming is

We're embarrassed by what's gone before, it seems, sometimes going as far as to compartmentalize older games under the horribly banal banner of retro gaming, a tag that's as pointless as it's revealing of the disdain we hold for anything that's over five years old.

Maybe he's embarrassed by "whats gone before", but I'm most certainly not. Whilst some games do age really rather poorly, theres some that don't, just as with movies especially those that have alot of special effects. Whilst films like Casablanca will always be highly regarded because of the way they present themselves whereas if you look at something like A Bugs Life (admittedly not Pixars finest work), and compare it to something like the mass of straight to DVD Barbie films out there, the Barbie films do look a hell of alot better.

Similarly, Metal Gear Solid looks like a PlayStation game, but thanks to the design choices made that aren't reliant on a dodgy camera it plays as well as it ever did, but something a little more recent, like say Spyro the Dragon feel as old as they look because they rely on control mechanics that have been refined.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 20, 2012, 05:34:43 AM »
So it's been a busy few months for fans of remakes and remasters.  We've had Halo, we've had Jak & Daxter, we've had Resident Evil 4, we've had Ratchet & Clank, we've had Ico & Shadow of the Colossus.  Now we've got Okami on the way.  This is on top of older releases like God of War, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Rez, Sly etc etc.

So is there anything else anyone is holding out for from the previous generation?  Any major titles that are still crying out for the remake treatment?  It's starting to feel like most bases have been covered now.

Personally I'm still holding out for Final Fantasy XII (and we know FFX is on the way, so I'd say it's a definite possibility) but that just about covers it for me now I think.  Can't think of anything else major that's outstanding that I'd splash the cash for.  Anyone else?

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42: June 20, 2012, 05:50:57 AM »
Nothing major except FFXII, perhaps a Burnout 2/3 double pack?  Or SSX 3/Tricky?  Unlikely given that they've both had major updates this gen though I guess.  Some of the more stylish PS2 RPGs would look lovely upscaled and tidied up - I'm thinking Dark Chronicle and Dragon Quest VII in particular.  Although, come to think of it, if they did Vita versions of those I'd be all over that too...

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43: June 20, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
I was hoping for a Psychonauts update but then I bought the latest Humble Bundle and it included the PC/Mac version so that's that covered.

Good Old Games are doing a sterling job of refreshing and re-releasing PC games, i have about $100 worth of games sitting in a wishlist there waiting for me to get a functional PC.

I would like to see an update of Half-Life. I'm sure it would translate to console well enough (indeed it almost did on the PS2 and Dreamcast).

A decent remake of Silent Hill 1 would be nice but not exactly necessary.

That's it though, they really have covered almost everything i would have asked for (Rez, Jak 1-3, Ratchet 1-3, Beyond Good & Evil, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, DMC 1-3, Sly 1-3 -  So many in fact that I havent been able to keep up!).

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #44: June 20, 2012, 06:44:53 AM »
Skies of Arcadia HD would be great. I wouldn't say no to an updated HeadHunter either.