Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tapatalk  (Read 29301 times)

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • ICQ Messenger - 15546514
    • MSN Messenger - miskiecat
    • AOL Instant Messenger - miskiecat
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - o0miskie0o
    • View Profile
    • http://miskie.com
    • Email
Re: Tapatalk
« Reply #15: June 15, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »
The short of it is Tapatalk reduces the interface to something truly Smartphone appropriate, leaving the display uncluttered and readable. log in/out, post, quote, reply, PM etc are made into separate menu items - excess imagery (Gamertags etc.) are removed, leaving behind only avatars. Media within posts are thumbnailed and clickable for full view and links to embedded videos are left up to your phone to decide how to handle, which seems to end the iOS Flash problem.

It really is a brilliant piece of software.

iOS

Android

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: June 15, 2011, 06:40:39 AM »
OK, that's saved me some money - it's clearly not going to be that much benefit on the iPad's large screen, which handles the forum just fine as it is.  I can see it being useful for a phone though.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17: June 15, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
I was tempted to get it for my Xperia but I think I can do without. I'm used to the browser after all.

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18: June 15, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »
I was tempted to get it for my Xperia but I think I can do without. I'm used to the browser after all.

Of course - its a matter of personal choice and preference - I like Tapatalk because it works well with my big, clumsy fingers. Pinching and zooming a website is okay, but pressing tiny buttons often results in errors. I also find the streamlined site loads significantly faster on my smartphone - I'm sure its because limited graphics are getting transmitted - not even the forum skin is sent. (The phone does the skinning)

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: June 17, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
One issue I've noticed is that spoiler tags don't seem to work, or is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20: June 17, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »
The spoilers were an add-in outside of the original forum software - so I suspect the Tapatalk interface doesn't know how to deal with them.  However, I will look into it and see if there is something that can be done.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
Tapatalk
« Reply #21: June 23, 2011, 12:53:50 PM »
So, just bought this. It's utterly flippin' brilliant. I'm installing it on my personal forums tonight.

Happy.

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22: June 23, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
So, just bought this. It's utterly flippin' brilliant. I'm installing it on my personal forums tonight.

Happy.

Its easy as pie - all you will need to do is change the permissions on the Tapatalk folder on your server, and thats it. Also, make sure you also install the latest version of Tapatalk, else the Tapatalk site will not allow you to publish your forum. It's really that simple.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #23: June 23, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
I didn't even need to change the permissions for it to work. Seems to be running perfectly. Probably best to do it, anyway, though.

I suppose I should try it on the iPad as well, see if it's better on that as well, or if sticking to a standard browser is easier. Pretty pleased it's a universal app. :)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 01, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
The spoilers were an add-in outside of the original forum software - so I suspect the Tapatalk interface doesn't know how to deal with them.  However, I will look into it and see if there is something that can be done.

Hey miskie, any chance of having a look at this?

I've started using Tapatalk as it's by far the easiest way to browse the forum using an iPhone, but the lack of spoilers is making some threads a bit hazardous.  Anything you can do to address this would be very much appreciated.

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25: November 01, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »

Hey miskie, any chance of having a look at this?

I've started using Tapatalk as it's by far the easiest way to browse the forum using an iPhone, but the lack of spoilers is making some threads a bit hazardous.  Anything you can do to address this would be very much appreciated.

This feature is high up on the developer's 'to do' list. Spoilers need to be recognized by your phone and handled accordingly. I learned it isn't something I can fix on my end.

Anyway, they claim it is coming eventually.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 02, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
somewhat oddly this post

http://society.miskie.net/forum/index.php/topic,2956.105/msg,119871.html

has a spoiler that works in Tapatalk, which is odd as it doesn't appear to be any different to any of the others

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Tapatalk
« Reply #27: November 02, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »
I love how clicking that link in Tapatalk opens the Society in my iPhone's Safari browser, meaning i can't see that you're right. Stupid internets. :)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #28: January 06, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
Installed Communities on my Touchpad - really nice, uses the Tapatalk plug in, and now I'm tracking rllmuk, here and bordersdown.net. It's an interesting way of consuming forums, rather than going to the same topics/sub forums you see a flow of information and can often stumble on topics you wouldn't bother posting in. Very nice.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: February 26, 2012, 04:26:03 AM »
Hey, miskie - there's been a big new version of Tapatalk released (for iOS at least) - any progress on the "spoilers not displaying" front?

They're still not working for me but I'm hoping there might be a corresponding version of the site plugin that you might need to update?  Fingers crossed anyhow, I use Tapatalk all the time and it's still a major issue.