Username: Password:

Author Topic: Revitalising the Society  (Read 20206 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: Re: Revitalising the Society
« Reply #15: December 07, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Hey, could we theme the podcast around our efforts to not buy any games next year. It would be like a gaming addiction self-help meeting.

Don't know how popular a gaming podcast would be that didn't talk about new games...  :P

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • ICQ Messenger - 15546514
    • MSN Messenger - miskiecat
    • AOL Instant Messenger - miskiecat
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - o0miskie0o
    • View Profile
    • http://miskie.com
    • Email
Re: Revitalising the Society
« Reply #16: December 07, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
Slide Out Social Media Widget are my favourite new indie outfit.

Woo ! 

Though I'm partial to Random Dog Collective. (came up with it on the mail route, 1st house seems to belong to a dog lover, as they have a half dozen in their yard - every one of them a different breed.)

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Revitalising the Society
« Reply #17: December 07, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
I'm going to put this out there. How about a podcast? I actually seriously think a group of us Skyping together could make something pretty amazing. I know only a few of us actually listen to them generally, but trust me, there is a gap we could fill here (mmmatron!).

I'd be up for this. Until I moved out here, I co-presented an Internet radio show about... something, and have various podcast/DVD commentary/media experience, so this would be my bag. cav's obviously got the same media savvy and Bri/Ian could be the knowledgable press types.

Only thing for me: I'd need to be anonymous or have a fake name. And not talk about Nintendo in any way, shape or form. Conflict of interest!

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • ICQ Messenger - 15546514
    • MSN Messenger - miskiecat
    • AOL Instant Messenger - miskiecat
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - o0miskie0o
    • View Profile
    • http://miskie.com
    • Email
« Reply #18: December 07, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/TSoGGaW

The Sock on Facebook.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Revitalising the Society
« Reply #19: December 07, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
I'm going to have to start using The Sock properly now, aren't I? Tapatalk isn't going to offer half the things we're installing... :)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 07, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »
Hey, could we theme the podcast around our efforts to not buy any games next year. It would be like a gaming addiction self-help meeting.

Don't know how popular a gaming podcast would be that didn't talk about new games...  :P

actually that could be our point of difference.  we're not going to be able to keep up with big new releases anyway, because no-one on here really buys a lot of stuff at launch.  most of us don't buy any games on "day 1" (just Hapi, really.)

i'd be up for a podcast.  i'm not sure how good i'd be at it, but i'd give it a go.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Revitalising the Society
« Reply #21: December 07, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
Facebook started the same year we did. Facebook should be joining the Society!

We'll catch up....

Well that was my first thought when I realised that everyone who is interested in the podcast is also everyone who is planning to avoid buying games next year. I figured if that's what we've got we might as well play on it. At least well be unique!

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
Revitalising the Society
« Reply #22: December 07, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »
The only trick you have to remember with any chat thing is not to talk over each other. Otherwise, it's a fucking mess. Will be harder when we can't see each other and get visual cues, but it's still doable (especially if we used a chat programme in the background to 'raise hands' as it were.

Maybe a dummy trial first?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #23: December 07, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
Don't talk about feltmonkey like that.

Offline CheddarFrenzy

• Monarch
  • Oddly Useless
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24: December 07, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
I know my contributions here haven't been exactly numerous lately; the alarmingly low rate at which I've been playing games over the last few months has left me feeling unable to offer anything worthwhile in discussions, especially since so many of the esteemed Society membership have migrated to the Vita. I'm hoping that the increasing emphasis on PlayStation Plus freebies will leave me in a better position to opine on common titles, as more of us are actually playing the same thing at (or at least, around) the same time.
This basically.  I've had next to no time to play anything recently (and haven't completely anything since the summer!) so I haven't really got much to add to the ongoing conversations at the moment.  Hopefully things will settle down a bit once we pass the festive period.  This is still one of the few websites I check at least once a day, and it still feels like home, so I'd really like to contribute more.  I agree that bigger isn't necessarily better as well though - it would be good to have more contributors, but not at the expense of quality.  Podcast sounds intriguing, although I probably can't add much of interest unless you want to know more about the Vietnamese educational system...

Offline Jimbob78

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 08, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
The only reason I don't post so much is being broke has kicked in and I can't afford new games. I occasionally make a post or topic which isn't game related, but I figure if I keep doing that it will wind people up.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26: February 27, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »
Is it possible that one of the reasons we have never had many sign-ups here is that when noobs come to check out the Soc they see the the word Womanfolk in our header and decide we are all misogynist pigs? I realise that in 1866 womenfolk was a perfectly reasonable phrase but I wouldn't be surprised if some people didn't realise that.

:blink:
(click to show/hide)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #27: February 27, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
We featured in a magazine with a circulation of 20k plus, monthly, for years and as a link on a video with 3.6 million viewers, and still nobody bothered to sign up. It's time to start looking at the elephant in the room here. Yes, I'm talking about feltmonkey.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28: February 27, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
We featured in a magazine with a circulation of 20k plus, monthly, for years and as a link on a video with 3.6 million viewers, and still nobody bothered to sign up. It's time to start looking at the elephant in the room here. Yes, I'm talking about feltmonkey.

Feltmonkey, is actually.... Feltelephant? 

:blink:

I think I need to lie down.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #29: February 27, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
[Trunk/finally having children joke placeholder]