Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Mobile Skin - Comments, concerns and complaints here.  (Read 10710 times)

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • ICQ Messenger - 15546514
    • MSN Messenger - miskiecat
    • AOL Instant Messenger - miskiecat
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - o0miskie0o
    • View Profile
    • http://miskie.com
    • Email
As several of you are aware, Tapatalk has continued to be confounding in the way it operates, as it fails to perform simple tasks revision through revision.

So, there is now a new mobile skin cobbled together to solve most of those complaints (mainly the way Tapatalk handles BBCode tags). It should autodetect when a mobile device is used, and activate itself for the user.

The skin isn't perfect. Its actually for an older version of SMF, and I tweaked it a bit to get it to operate more-or-less properly, but I am certain there will still be issues. Post them here, so they are all in one place.

*For fans and friends of Tapatalk, have no fear - it still operates, and it will continue to be a part of what makes up The Sock, this is just another option for users.   

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
It says something about iPhones on the top. I almost reflexively dropped my tablet in horror.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
oops, how do I get back to the mobile site? I've clicked something and it's gone wrong

edit: ah, sorted

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
It says something about iPhones on the top. I almost reflexively dropped my tablet in horror.

Yeah, thats going to be short lived. - It was originally modeled to be an iPhone-like skin, and it was accompanied by a specific iPhone only detection scheme. No longer.

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
i rather like the mobile skin.  it's good.  the only problem is it looks the same as the RLLMUK one, so i get confused where i am.  it's easily resolved by reading the posts though.  if it's all antagonism and rape, then it's rllmuk.

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
I actually prefer the mobile skin to tapatalk.  Plainly, I am Wrong and Bad.

If we could tart it up with something like the old Skin and stop it from taking me to 'modify post' when I click on a spoiler it'd be ideal.

Offline argh zombies

• Empirical
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gray+fingertips
    • View Profile
    • Pick Roar
    • Email
Couple of niggles I've noticed while using this:

I can become upset and weepy when sites funnel me to a special dumbo version for mobiles. I then look for the link that takes you to the desktop version. Can't find this.

After reading a thread, I especially miss the desktop version practice of having a link back to the forum it's in, instead of hitting back back back etc. I may be missing this somewhere.

The thread titles are truncated down to 15 or 20 characters, which is a bit severe on a tablet. This is probably a carry over from older phones with lower res screens?

I think with a few tweaks it will be better for the fingers than the desktop version.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
if you click Classic in the top left on the front page (where the back button is on all the other pages) that switches back to the desktop version

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
Is there any way to zoom in on pictures?

clicking on them either goes to reply with quote or does nothing (depending on the quote setting), pinch* to zoom does nothing and nor does rotating the screen

*okay, spread to zoom but for whatever reason (it does sound a bit dodge) that's not what it's called

Offline argh zombies

• Empirical
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gray+fingertips
    • View Profile
    • Pick Roar
    • Email
if you click Classic in the top left on the front page (where the back button is on all the other pages) that switches back to the desktop version

(Y)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
spoilers appear to be buggered in the new skin.  when you press to reveal them, it assumes you are replying to the post and quoting it.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
There's a button at the top to turn Quotes Off, which stops that behaviour.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
As many here may know, Tapatalk finally shit the bed in spectacular fashion just before Christmas and released a revamp so misguided in its design it's made the entire app almost completely unusable, even for long-term apologists like myself.  (The hundreds of one-star reviews on the App Store are an entertaining read, at least).

So I've actually been using the Society mobile skin for a couple of weeks, and it's pretty good, with a few minor issues.

Can I humbly request a couple of updates?

1)  The names of threads are truncated in the forum display (so instead of "Assassin's Creed: Unity" we just get "Assassin's Creed...".  There's plenty of space to display the full thread title (or longer ones at least) - is this an easy thing to fix?

2)  If there are new posts in a thread, the "New" icon takes you to the most recent unread post.  But if there are no new posts, there's no easy way to get to the end of a thread.  Is there any way we could add a permanent icon (maybe on the right-hand side, like the NeoGAF mobile skin) that could be used to jump to the most recent unread post (or the end of a thread, if all posts are read)?  This would greatly add navigation, especially when checking back over past threads.

I've got no idea how easy or hard this stuff is to implement so I don't know how realistic these requests are....

Offline miskie

• Hardware Torturer
  • Administrator
  • Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Email
Yeah, I can address those issues. It'll be a couple of days though. I'm currently moving furniture about the house :p