Username: Password:

Author Topic: By popular demand - The Board Game thread  (Read 69225 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: By popular demand - The Board Game thread
« Reply #30: March 06, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
I have heard good things about Leisure Games. How easily can you get to Finchley Central?

That's about 5 minutes from where my parents-in-law live.  I foresee a trip there in the very near future!

Apparently Orcs Nest is another one worth a look.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #31: March 06, 2015, 09:19:22 AM »
When we were
It's weird that there are clearly loads of great board games out there but nowhere to actually buy them.

When we were down in London last month I dragged Minx along to a board game shop just up from Leicester Square called The Orc's Nest, which was great. It might be aimed a little bit more at the "overly complicated grown-up" end of board gaming, but they had a bunch of Netrunner cards and I got Sheriff of Nottingham, so I was happy enough.

One of the big problems with buying board games is that they're expensive to manufacture and distribute, and a lot of games get quite limited print runs - with only the massive successes like Carcassone or Catan getting constant reprints. Dead of Winter usually has a three-month backlog from order to delivery depending on where they are in the current printing. I was waiting a couple of months for Cosmic Encounter (fortunately I only started looking for it immediately before they did another run).

And to make matters worse at the moment for buying games, a lot of ports on the eastern seaboard were shut down because of the snowpocalypse - meaning there's a load of shipments just waiting in containers for the boats to start moving again.

Offline Smellavision

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 06, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »
Did you know that the denizens of the chatterbox go away for a week every year, rent a house and play board games?

I'm going this year, someplace near Derby, sleeps about 30 people, everyone brings a board game.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33: March 06, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
That sounds awesome. What's the chatterbox though!

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 06, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »
The Other Place!

no, wait, that's here... maybe

the Guardian gamesblog off topic general chat thing

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 07, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
One I keep looking to get is Summoner Wars, anyone seen or got this? Probably something everyone saw way before me, but I really like the tabletop program that Will Wheaton does on youtube, that is why we got ticket to ride.

They played a game on there called "get bit" which might be worth checking out for those that mentioned games to play with your kids, looked pretty fun when they played it.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #36: March 08, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
Yesterday at PAX East, I bought a game called Luchador! which is a dice game about Mexican wrestling. I have no idea if it's any good. But, hey, it comes with a mini pop-up wrestling ring and a bunch of standee characters, so I'm sold anyway. :)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 08, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »
one of the frustrating things about board games is that things go out of print very quickly, and take ages to get reprinted.  this is partly due to the explosion of the hobby's popularity, so it's good in a way, but does mean a lot of stuff is very hard to find, even online.  we've all got one or two shops near us, so i reckon we could set up some sort of network where we can look out for things for each other.  for example, one of the two shops in Cardiff had a copy of Dead of Winter when i went in there last week, so if anyone is desperate i could pick it up.  i would say that if anyone sees a copy of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective anywhere, let me know.  i'll pay up to £50 for the game, plus postage.  is there anything specific anyone is looking for?  i'll have a mooch along to the shops in Cardiff and have a look for you if you like.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 08, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
Yesterday at PAX East, I bought a game called Luchador! which is a dice game about Mexican wrestling. I have no idea if it's any good. But, hey, it comes with a mini pop-up wrestling ring and a bunch of standee characters, so I'm sold anyway. :)

We've been after this after the missus spotted it in Waterstones, available on there site if anyone is interested.

Let us know what you think Mart.

Edit - Ta I can only presume I had someone got it mixed up with the paypal button on there site. Weird

http://backspindlegames.com/luchador-mexican-wrestling-dice/

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 08, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »
that seems to be a link to something to do with Paypal, bmb.  i don't know if that could be a security problem for you if you don't change it.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #40: March 09, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »
Let us know what you think Mart.

Will do! I also grabbed Sheriff of Nottingham on the last day for $35 (which I think isn't bad… it seems to be about that in £ over here), because I've wanted it for ages. Now to find some folk to play with...

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 10, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
that seems to be a link to something to do with Paypal, bmb.  i don't know if that could be a security problem for you if you don't change it.

ta, not sure what it was to be honest. There payment on there site is paypal so imagine it was some kind of crossed wires thing.

Offline Wev

• Empirical
  • Rebel Scum
    • MSN Messenger - rivaoni@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ARivaOni
    • View Profile
    • bitparade
« Reply #42: March 11, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
Ive had a copy of Carcassone sat on a shelf that no one will play with me, I refuse to buy any board games until someone at home does...

Actually that's a lie, I bought the LEGO Hogwarts game just before they stopped making it, the family love that

Offline Minx

• Royal
  • I'll be back, Samurai!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43: March 12, 2015, 07:17:52 AM »
I don't understand how people do the scoring with the Caracassone board game. The iPhone game does all the hard work for you - this is the main thing that's stopped me picking it up. :/

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 12, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »
I don't understand how people doing the scoring with the Caracassone board game. The iPhone game does all the hard work for you - this is the main thing that's stopped me picking it up. :/

Same here, pretty much.

We've been bitten by the board game bug too. This thread actually appeared on the same day we played Smash Up for the first time, with that being a "shufflebuilding" game where you take the twenty card decks of two of the (standard) game's eight factions, shuffle them together to make your deck, and try and take over three bases using your minions and action cards.

You can guess the tone of the game from the factions - Aliens, Wizards, Ninja, Tricksters, Zombies, Dinosaurs, Robots and Pirates - and you can make some excellent combinations once you get an idea of each of the faction's strengths; Zombies excel at getting cards back out of your discard pile and back into the fray, Pirates can move between bases, Robots are like a minion conveyor belt, Dinosaurs are great for smashing the crap out of everything, and Aliens (and Tricksters) are basically just pricks. There are also a bunch of expansions, each of which add another four factions, and which I suspect we'll be grabbing at some point...

It's a fun game, and we'll be trying to rope a few more people into some games soon, and and I would think it'd be suitable for younger players too, with it's fun tone and relatively simple gameplay (especially if they're already into games).

I have been trawling this thread for ideas, mainly. Ghost Stories and Dead of Winter look great, and have joined Pandemic and Star Realms in my basket on Amazon (as Ca$h 'n' Guns might, if I think I can get a few more people involved). We already have Sentinels of the Multiverse, Small World, King of Tokyo, Love Letter, Mr Jack Pocket (on its way), Cards Against Humanity and Forbidden Island. Any other suggestions? Ones that suit two people and are easily transportable are always welcome, seeing as they might go between England and Norway a fair bit if they're popular, and it'll be mainly Marit and me playing.