Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Bargains Thread  (Read 324993 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
The Bargains Thread
« Topic Start: March 07, 2005, 04:44:45 PM »
Seeing as GamesRadar and NTSC have bargains threads, maybe we could start one here...? Just post any bargains you've seen round and about the real world or the Internet, which others could take advantage of, rather than cracking deals you brokered at a Car Boot Sale...

My couple are - if you trade ANY 4 games at MVC you can get a chart title for free. They don't exclude football or wrestling games, and you can do it as many times as you like. Armed with 4 copies of games I'd bought from Gamestation for the sum total of 8 pounds I went into my local branch to swap for Oddworld. Only to find they had none left in stock... (had to buy the average Republic Commando instead...) There are no caveats, just that MVC reserve the right to refuse any game. This is, I learned after some discussion with the till person, normally used to stop scratched/damaged games, rather than particular titles as "[MVC] don't know anything about games". The sky is the limit - I've seen a lot of PC games in the used rack - so surely they can't include PC games in the any 4? That would be madness... I will check this out though.

The quite good Second Sight on Xbox/PS2 is also 10 pounds at ASDA at the moment. Which is pretty decent.

I've pointed out on other threads it's also worth buying second hand GBA games at MVC then trading up at Blockbusters, where you can often get double what you paid for them. Blockbusters is also a goldmine for picking up rare games to sell on eBay - I have found Rez, Amplitude (quite rare on PAL) and original cardboard ICO's around the 10 pound mark more than once. As they aren't frequented by many gamers these gems can sit on the shelves for quite some time before being snapped up - the pricing is also done on a "if it doesn't register on the bar code scanner it's set by the store manager basis". 99.9% of Blockbuster store managers know nothing about games, so this is a good thing. Also - if you can be arsed, (and I did this 9 times), you can sell Eyetoy Play 2's for around 7 pounds more than the Blockbuster price on eBay. Pick a free list day, buy and sell enough and you can turn a small, but decent profit.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:00:33 AM by cavalcade »

Offline argh zombies

• Empirical
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gray+fingertips
    • View Profile
    • Pick Roar
    • Email
Re: The Bargains Thread
« Reply #1: March 07, 2005, 06:03:43 PM »
There are a few others here from Americacestershire, to whom I gleefully report that Outrun 2 on Xbox seems to have stealthily dropped to just $19.99 nationwide. This perfectly reconciles the "yes but it's just a shallow arcade game" with the "I know but it plays like a silk scarf on the wind."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 06:04:07 PM by Argh! Zombies! »

« Reply #2: March 08, 2005, 05:26:57 AM »
You can get Fable ex-rental for £15.99 from www.swapgame.com  :)

Koffdrop III

« Reply #3: March 08, 2005, 05:43:15 AM »
My couple are - if you trade ANY 4 games at MVC you can get a chart title for free. They don't exclude football or wrestling games, and you can do it as many times as you like. ...
[snapback]8531[/snapback]

That IS good. I've got a bunch of PS2 games that I'll either never play or never play AGAIN so I might consider that.

My tip is http://www.gamestracker.co.uk - it's like Kelkoo / Froogle for games (and DVDs).

It's a good idea to make an account (free) and construct a watchlist of EVERYTHING you're interested in - old and new. They'll send you ALERT emails when your watchlist items hit your desired price.

FAR more dangerous is their daily email where you'll be notified of price cuts each day. This is LETHAL as you'll be sorely tempted to get that 'Hmmm.. maybe, maybe not' game when it rings in at £13.

Watch your gaming collection mutate into something HOOJ

« Reply #4: March 08, 2005, 05:55:03 AM »
My tip is http://www.gamestracker.co.uk - it's like Kelkoo / Froogle for games (and DVDs)
[snapback]8555[/snapback]

Wow - that is a good site! ^_^

Watch your gaming collection mutate into something HOOJ
[snapback]8555[/snapback]

Yes. Yes it will! (I think you're right..... this could prove costly, nevertheless interesting! :D  )

Offline Android18a

• Commandant
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Supiesephie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.silentdream.co.uk
« Reply #5: March 08, 2005, 08:26:37 AM »
I hate buying games I know I'll never play more than once, I always do it. *points to Viewtiful Joe and Sky Odyssey as examples*

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #6: March 18, 2005, 08:24:49 AM »
Some more bargains around and about:

Xbox Live Kit and Communicator is currently 19.99 at GAME (in store and on Web). There is also a sale going on. A lot of it is total rubbish - but you might want to pick up Otogi 2 for 20 pounds. The first is fairly rare in PAL territories, and the second sold disasterously badly, so consider it an investment.

ADSA (I don't spend my life in there, honest) - have a range of Xbox games at 15 pounds, including Metal Slug 3 and Unreal 2. Most of the rest aren't that awe inspiring.

The Blockbuster Sale has Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow for a tenner (in store). They also price Primal at 3.99, including the special edition set, second hand. It's actually a decent game, and the limited edition box is nice (it comes with a soundtrack and some other bumf).

The play.com sale is also on. Pro Evo 4 for 17.99 on Xbox. TOCA Race Driver 2 for £15, and Manhunt for a tenner - which I think is shit but a lot of my more chavvy friends seem to love. Project Zero 2 is also £10 on PS2. Far Cry for a tenner on PC.

Gamestation are also having an in store sale, mostly concentrating on second hand games. The best deal that I saw was NFSU:2 for £20, but there are a few other bargains in there (GTA:SA was also £20).

Thanks bargain hunters!

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #7: March 18, 2005, 08:27:18 AM »
Oh and if you love games then this:

Multiplayer Excellence

should be getting you excited! And look at the price!

Offline Android18a

• Commandant
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Supiesephie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.silentdream.co.uk
« Reply #8: March 18, 2005, 08:29:36 AM »
I've seen Mashed around. Any good in single player?

« Reply #9: March 18, 2005, 08:32:32 AM »
I just swapped Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion, Soul Calibur 2 and Mario Sunshine (plus 99p) for Resident Evil 4  :gc:  at Game  :)

I only paid £12 in total for the four games too from someone at work.

£12.99 for Resi Evil 4?

Thankyou very much Game  :)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #10: March 18, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »
I've seen Mashed around. Any good in single player?
[snapback]9639[/snapback]

It's OK, but it's a multiplayer game first and foremost. But I suppose for 15 quid you can hardly go wrong - it looks like they've beefed up the single player experience in the latest version.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #11: March 18, 2005, 08:35:59 AM »
I just swapped Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion, Soul Calibur 2 and Mario Sunshine (plus 99p) for Resident Evil 4  :gc:  at Game  :)

I only paid £12 in total for the four games too from someone at work.

£12.99 for Resi Evil 4?

Thankyou very much Game  :)
[snapback]9641[/snapback]

I'll be escaping from work early to take a trip to Gamestation... and then on to GAME, four crap 2.99 games in hand! Woo hoo!

Offline Kranloch

• Royal
  • Arse
    • MSN Messenger - drakemourne@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12: March 18, 2005, 01:45:40 PM »
Well, I had a most excellent games buying day today! (Minor quibbles aside, which I won't go into here).

Bought three xbox games from Gamestation for 4.99 and one for 2.99 (cheapest I could find after looking through all the games), went to GAME and traded the games in, along with 99p, in return for Resident Evil 4. So, overall Resi 4 only cost me £18.95! Not bad I'd say.

I also traded in Tales of Symphonia to get £23 off Pikmin 2 (priced 37.99), leaving the total cost of Pikmin 2 at £21.98 (paid 29.99 for ToS originally, so 14.99 plus 6.99...).

I also handed in my (rather spiffy) C.V. so with a bit of luck they'll get back to me before long.

EDIT: Well, after playing Resi 4 for just over 2 hours, I can safely say it is the awesome-est Gamecube game I have played to date. I was a little crummy in the beginning but soon got the hang of it and I'm playing on normal so I'm sure I can be forgiven for a little crumminess.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 06:26:55 PM by Kranloch »

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #13: March 18, 2005, 09:11:54 PM »
Well, I had a most excellent games buying day today! (Minor quibbles aside, which I won't go into here).

Bought three xbox games from Gamestation for 4.99 and one for 2.99 (cheapest I could find after looking through all the games), went to GAME and traded the games in, along with 99p, in return for Resident Evil 4. So, overall Resi 4 only cost me £18.95! Not bad I'd say.

I also traded in Tales of Symphonia to get £23 off Pikmin 2 (priced 37.99), leaving the total cost of Pikmin 2 at £21.98 (paid 29.99 for ToS originally, so 14.99 plus 6.99...).

I also handed in my (rather spiffy) C.V. so with a bit of luck they'll get back to me before long.

EDIT: Well, after playing Resi 4 for just over 2 hours, I can safely say it is the awesome-est Gamecube game I have played to date. I was a little crummy in the beginning but soon got the hang of it and I'm playing on normal so I'm sure I can be forgiven for a little crumminess.
[snapback]9663[/snapback]

It is supah isn't it - and with Splinter Cell (2.99), Jet Ion GP (2.99), WRC (2.99) and Summoner (2.99) from Gamestation in hand, a mere snip at 12.95 (including my 99p). Offer closes on the 6th of April - get moving people!

Offline Kranloch

• Royal
  • Arse
    • MSN Messenger - drakemourne@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14: March 19, 2005, 04:52:57 AM »
It is supah isn't it - and with Splinter Cell (2.99), Jet Ion GP (2.99), WRC (2.99) and Summoner (2.99) from Gamestation in hand, a mere snip at 12.95 (including my 99p). Offer closes on the 6th of April - get moving people!
[snapback]9677[/snapback]

Bah! Six quid richer than me, you lucky bum!

Although, if I'm REALLY lucky I might get a job at Gamestation before April 6th, along with a 25% staff discount (I think that's what it is) :D

*crosses fingers and toes and legs and toes and fingers*

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 04:54:29 AM by Kranloch »