Username: Password:

Author Topic: Star Wars X-Wing Minatures Game  (Read 9914 times)

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars X-Wing Minatures Game
« Reply #30: May 08, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Finally ordered the core set from the new films, currently £22.33 on Amazon in case anyone is interested.

shutupppppppp

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 08, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
Err..why? actually it's £22.01, I considered getting two! what the hell is wrong with me. Missus is actually looking forward to it arriving.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 08, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »
BECAUSE I DONT NEED THIS IN MY LIFE AS WELL

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #33: May 08, 2016, 06:32:06 PM »
Pfft. Two? I think I have 3 of each....

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: May 09, 2016, 03:59:43 AM »
When you play in tourneys Cav do you do objective based gameplay or is it a duel to the death? I choose free delivery so sadly won't be here till the weekend, possibly longer as I grouped it with a micro sd card I have been after for ages but had to wait as it was an add on order thing rather than something they would post by itself (I understand that but still get annoyed sometimes by it)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #35: May 09, 2016, 07:30:57 AM »
Tournaments have a specific set of rules issues by FFG. Rounds are normally timed, and each side plays a squad of 100 points worth of ships and upgrades or less. Points destroyed are calculated at the end of the timed round. Big ships are worth half points for half damage, otherwise you get all points for the ship and associated upgrade cards when it's destroyed.

Playing in a timed format demands a different style of play and different squad construction. The meta constantly shifts, although at the moment there is one very, very strong list (3 Jumpmaster 5000s) which is wrecking everything (5 of the top 8 lists in the last regional were all Jumpmasters). But normally it's beautifully balanced across ships and faction.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: May 11, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
Annoyingly this turned up today and was left with the neighbour, who hasn't been answering the door ought they are in! Hopefully they've stopped playing silly buggars tomorrow. Thinking of ordering the normal expansion (no first order) if I get another as presume that's different cards and load outs and the two are inter comparable?

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: May 13, 2016, 04:24:38 AM »
Finally got this yesterday, didn't get a go but got to open it up when I got back in from work and had a read of the guides and assembled all the bits. Sadly the Missus is away this weekend but has asked to play it when she gets home Sunday, going to go to the outpost store in Sheffield and get some more ships already I think and see if there is anyone there I can have a go against.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 03, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
Finally got the first game of this in today, only played the basic tutorial that doesn't use focus or anything fancy, really enjoyed it, as did the good lady who has already mentioned getting extra ships! She loved the idea it was a board game free from the board and said she understands why I love XCOM (the video games, not the board) so much after I explained that was basically a tactical board game that has been converted to consoles/computers.

Got my ass handed to me though, both tie fighters destroyed whilst only taking a single shield off the X-wing. The play area feels a lot smaller than I was expected too, felt very hard to flee out the way.

How do the damage cards work? Do you always flip them over and do what ever the instruction is?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #39: June 04, 2016, 04:54:01 AM »
Are you playing on a 3 by 3 board? (It does have an official size).

I suspect if the TIEs had trouble taking out the X-Wing in the game then you were probably fluffing some of the rules (I've found they are normally stronger in the test game when playing with newcomers). The shields are removed first and ignore criticals/normal hits. Once the shields are gone, you deal a damage face up and process the card text if it's a critical hit, or face down if it's a normal one. If the total number of damage cards meets or exceeds the hull value of the ship, it's destroyed. Normal hits are cancelled by evades before critical hits.

FFG do a couple of decent rules videos on Youtube which are worth a look. Or it would be worth just popping into a local club and getting someone to demo. We've had people turning up after having played the game for 6 to 8 months and they have some of the basic rules completely wrong. Which is fine, it's just it's such a finely poised game that playing it to the rules makes it more fun.... Plus, if you get the bug and want to play other people/tournaments then it's obviously essential!

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: June 04, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »
It's 3x3 feet yeah and not metres?! I just assumed it was feet so probably got it wrong.

We were roughly using that...our table isn't quite wide enough so we played 3.5x2.6 roughly to try and compensate. I found that with the ties having 2 attack dice to the T-70's 3 defence I kept getting my shots defended, might have been easier to score hits with focus having looked into what that is. Watched the videos you mentioned before but will watch them again to get the advanced rules down and replay the tutorial. Going to order a 2nd core set but this time the original so we have the new order and the original.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #41: June 04, 2016, 09:32:31 AM »
3 by 3 feet, yes.

T70 has 2 green dice, 3 at range 3. It hits harder, but has a stiffer dial and the new TIE/fos, in a pair, should beat it fairly easily. 2 red dice can be a bit feeble, but the TIE/fo can target lock. To beat the T70, take TLs when you're out of arc and can't get shot. Then take a focus TL'ed shot whenever you can. Wait until the T70 is tokenless (after a red move) for maximum efficiency. You can also block with one to make sure this happens (read the overlapping rules, but remember it isn't a "mistake" to bump other ships, and it's often to your advantage to do so).

It is well worth getting an intro with someone who plays - the community is usually very decent, with a "fly casual" motto and with a low number of cunts. No idea where you live, but any fairly large town will have a group - it's the most popular tabletop game now.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 04, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
I know a place in Sheffield has tournaments and nights on it but it's currently moving premises and the temporary one they have is miles away. Will give it another run through and make sure we use the correct rules rather than the basics then in that first playthrough. I meant 2 dice though for x-wing defence, we ignored the range rules for that first go as the tutorial didn't seem to mention them, however have I got it right that

at range 2 you use the standard card scores for attack and defence
at range 1 you add an attack
at range 3 the defender adds a dice

unless the card specifically gives you something else as a skill? Thanks by the way, it's great having someone to come and respond to questions without having to look through google as it's always harder to figure and find stuff when you aren't sure on the wording!

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #43: June 05, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
Yup - at Range 1, typically the attacker gains an additional red dice and at Range 3 the defender gains an additional green dice. An obstruction, such as an asteroid can add an additional green dice too. Card text may impact this, as you say.

I'd say the one bit of the game to read up on and get right is what to do when templates overlap stuff or if a ship comes to rest with its base overlapping another. The most common thing we see with new players is getting this bit utterly wrong - even though the manual is pretty decent.

Also, when you first start out *always* try to get into the habit of putting down an action (and utilising card effects). If in doubt, focus.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #44: June 05, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »

Yup - at Range 1, typically the attacker gains an additional red dice and at Range 3 the defender gains an additional green dice.

What!? We've been playing without that rule the whole time!