Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vision On. Painting and stuff with Tony Felthartmonkey.  (Read 12165 times)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
So, how about a specific thread for painting and other creative stuff.

Felt - specifically I have questions on these Super Dungeon Explore figs. How are you going to tackle them? I've tried painting one of the flame guys as a practice and they look great in simple, bold colours, but washes don't seem to work. How are you going to make them "pop" and look cartoon-y?

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
Recently did some painting for Zombicide and found out I was blind. Okay, not blind, per se, but anything closer than arm's length was a blur. Turns out that makes painting really hard. Also turns out that I need to go to an optician.

Fortunately, I've been painting miniatures for over thirty years, so all the skills were there, just not the ability to accurately see how those skills were being deployed. Still, I was rather pleased with the results, for all I could only see them properly in the photos (which are also bit blurry, so sorry for that). Fortunately Zombies don't need to be painted tidily (blood splashes over every botched bit!).

This picture comes from my blog post where I chat about painting the models.

Can't believe I'm going to need bifocals or similar. That's just rubbish.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I'm surprised you didn't go for "Tony Fartmonkey."

I've been thinking about the SDE miniatures.  I'm hoping to do something like this:

I have no idea how to achieve this.  It's quite exciting.

Hapi, I love the fact that you've breezed into the thread, claimed to be blind, and posted stuff that looks amazing.  The detail on the faces and the purplish skintones are fantastic.  *mutters* dammit even a blind guy can paint better than me. *mutters*

The last miniatures I painted were Luke and Han from Imperial Assault.  I'll try to get a few decent photos of them over the weekend and get them posted.  The Han miniature in particular is a remarkable sculpt - it really looks like him!  I dunno if I did them justice, but great miniatures.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I've been trying my hand at a bit of Non Metallic Metal recently.  I'm finding it very hard, particularly as I'm trying to use wet blending and loaded brush techniques to achieve smooth blends, which I have completely failed to do!  Still, the result does look quite metallic, all done with matt paints.

Hapi, I'd be interested to know if you've ever used these kind of techniques.  I know you're a terrific artist on flat stuff like paper, how into miniature painting have you been?  Do you have any favorite paintjobs you could post?

edit - for some reason the image didn't appear.

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
Looking forward to seeing those painted!

As for my own miniature painting: I used to do it full-time -- both painting models and teaching others how to paint -- and was pretty good in my day, so I've got high personal standards. Nowadays I can barely even see the tiny things -- growing old sucks -- so for all I wish the paintjobs I complete were better, I'm pretty happy with whatever I get, really.

However, I wonder how that will change when I bother to get some new glasses? My biggest problem is that I was (and still am) a perfectionist -- it plagues my artistic endeavours, both professional and personal -- and I would sometimes take weeks painting a single model when I was in my 20s.  Currently, that simply can't happen as I can't see the model well enough to consider details like eyes or symbols, or whatever, and subtle shading is impossible -- but if I can see the models again, will I return to painting really slowly? I bloody hope not -- the fatties about were done over a couple of hours and look fine, and that is already too slow if I'm considering painting the whole set in a realistic time scale.

EDIT: As for painting metals without using metallic paints, I used to do that for most of my models back in the day. As for favourite paint jobs of mine, I don't have any as I the models I painted were either sold by me when I resigned from Games Workshop for the first time, or they were already owned by Games Workshop (and likely nabbed by staff years ago, or sold on).

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I've painted a few more Imperial Assault miniatures.

Han

(click to show/hide)

Luke

(click to show/hide)

Gideon
(click to show/hide)

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Nice. Still way ahead of me.

I've been experimenting with the SDE miniatures. I had a brainwave and remembered my dad had an airbrush. So I connected it all up, and assumed I'd be able to get a smooth finish, as the ones I've done so far look a little too "brushy". All was looking very promising until the compressor exploded, but I think I'm going to hang back and wait until it's working.

As with all of my painting, what I do paint looks a lot better than the plain bits of plastic in the box, and actually better than some of the stuff on the internet I see, but when I see really good stuff, it looks shit. So, if the airbrush doesn't come through, I'll probably just sigh and get painting.... Just seems a shame to wreck the figures with a half arsed job, and the airbrush looks like it'll give me an excellent flat finish which really suits them. 

I am fairly happy with how the DnD figures turned out. I'll post a pic later. Currently working through the Gears of War set, which is OK, but there is only so much brown/silver one can see in a painting session before the mind begings to wander.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Haha I know what you mean about getting bored of the same old colours. I've got a squad of Chaos Cultists to paint, and I'm doing them all in fairly drab shades of brown and grey. There's 25 of the bastards to get through. They're all different, but they're all brown. In the end I decided to let my two-year-old paint one. He did quite a nice job. I think it's better than the ones I've done. He's certainly more ambitious in his use of wet-blending and those sorts of techniques. I painted the details on it, gave the clothes a wash to define the shadows, and it stands out as the most interesting mini in the squad. Hmph.

I think an airbrush is an excellent idea for the SDE miniatures. It would suit the style very well, I think. I generally don't like airbrush effects, but this has to be the place for one.

I get the same thing about looking at genuinely good painting and despairing. You're right about how even a mediocre paint job is an improvement over plain plastic, though. My Imperial Assault set looks lovely all painted. Your paint jobs are very good from what I've seen, I think it's quite a difficult medium to see your own qualities. The person who does the painting can see all the brush-marks, but the observer sees the miniature as a whole. I keep having a horrible moment when I look at photos of mine and they look just awful. I thought my Han Solo was pretty good until I saw the photos ilweran took, all blown up. His face looks ridiculous in some of them, all lips and too-big eyes. I wonder if the professionals have the same thing. You say all yours look "brushy" but I don't know if that's something to be worried about. Even the ones I'm happiest with look brushy as fuck to me. It might just be something you see and other people don't.

On the other hand, I see people putting absolute dogshit up on ebay as "pro-painted" and charging a fortune for an individual miniature. Go search painted imperial assault on ebay if you want a confidence boost!

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I somehow won a painting competition in my local Games Workshop today.  There was a load of stuff going on in the store celebrating the 30th anniversary of the release of the first Space Marine miniature, and the competition was part of that.  There were a few categories - single miniature, squad, and vehicle, all having to be space marines.  I won the squad category for my Deathwing Terminators, and won a little framed picture.  Oddly enough, it was a painting from the cover of the very first issue of White Dwarf I ever bought!  My single miniature didn't place in the top three of it's category.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations! Can we have a photo of the Terminators and the prize?

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
I thought I'd posted the terminators a while back, but I'm not sure I did, actually.  I'll sort out some photos tomorrow night.  :)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Award-winning Deathwing Terminators!

Close-up of some gruesome detail.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
They are fantastic felt. Deathwing terminators were pretty much my favourites.

I almost feel sorry for the other people who entered the competition, they didn't have a chance.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
That's very kind of you to say, but to be honest I felt that another squad should have won, and probably would have done if the kid didn't enter quite late in the day, missing some of the voting time.  His work was stunning.  I should have taken a photo of the dreadnaught he entered, it was amazing.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
A few Super Dungeon Explore minis.

These come out looking quite fun, but they're oddly stressful to paint.  The style is a long way from what I'm used to doing, and I don't really understand cartooning, so they're really difficult.  Very rewarding, though.  It's quite nice to deliberately eschew any attempts at blending, and I like how the eyes came out on the turtles.  The little red line on the darker turtle's face works really well, I reckon, and I copied that from an actual terrapin.  Nature is generally better at producing art than humans, so you might as well copy it.