Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vision On. Painting and stuff with Tony Felthartmonkey.  (Read 12162 times)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Nice!

You're right about it being a terrible photo though. It's quite difficult to make much out. One thing to remember when photographing miniatures is to try to take it from the same level rather than above. I can make out your bases though, and they're always really good.

Mould lines are a massive pain in the arse. I was trying to glue together some of the Sedition Wars minis last night. They aren't even all that bad for them, but I still failed to sort them out. I hate it when you get them running across some detail, or on hair or something you can't file down.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Try again!

There's still lots of room for improvement, but what I'm pleased about is how the grey fabric has that sort of 3D feel to it, mainly from shading and a touch of highlighting. I'm still struggling to do it in some colours (black is a killer), but greens/blues/greys are getting better.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Is that for mouse guard?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Actually, we're going to be doing a few mash ups on the Youtube channel over summer. Thinking of X-Wing vs Tailfeathers, Space Hulk vs Sedition Wars and an all in Zombiecide spectacular where it's zombies vs the cast from WWE Superstar Showdown.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
That sounds amazing.

Now that I can see those miniatures properly, they do look great!  The orc is a lovely job, great skintone, and the definition on the gun is good.  The mouse figures are very nice, it looks like there's some good shading on the yellow robe.  Yellow is very hard to do.  Are the sci-fi guys from Deadzone?  The metallic parts look good.  One thing that always helps sci-fi armour look good is a few thin edge highlights. 

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Cheers,

I'm still working on edge highlighting. It looks good at distance, but clearly very brushy at close range. There must be a mix to the paint I'm not getting right, or I'm using the wrong shade. But it's the next bit to try to improve....

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
R2D2 and C3P0

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good god felt. Even now that I am expecting your figures to blow me away, they are still surprising me!

Those two are stunning.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Thanks!  That was my second attempt at R2D2.  The first one I had painted and gave it a spray of matte varnish, and for some reason the varnish destroyed the paint.  It went all cracked and weird, similar to how the base is.  I had to buy another one.  Fortunately they're not all that expensive, and now when i strip the paint off the first, I'll have another pair of the droids to paint up and possibly sell.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile

A couple more retro Blood Bowl miniatures.  I love painting Blood Bowl, they're still my favorite series of miniatures ever.

On the above one, I was trying to get some different textures on there.  The shiny leather gloves, the matte cloth for the trousers, and a tarnished metal look for the armour.

The thinking here was a combination of wanting to create an unusual orc skin tone, and try to weather the armour convincingly.  He does look like a veteran of a few Blood Bowl matches!

Here's a gratuitous ass-shot to show the weathering on the elbows a bit more clearly.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Wow. Amazing felt.

Not quite (anywhere near) as good, but I've been continuing with the figs in Deadzone 1.0. I'm doing a better job of the orcs than the humanoids, but I think they might be a bit too green now (I'll probably darken them a bit). Really enjoyed doing the scenery - spent a happy hour going mental with weathering powder and rust.

I might do a few Plague (zombie/monsters) or Rebs (Browncoats) next. When I'm down in Cardiff on Monday I might also pop into Firestorm to buy more stuff because I am weak.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
They look great!

Bright green skin tones are good for the cartoonish orcs, but if you vary the tone a bit across the squad that will make them look more interesting when you have them on the table together. What most people do is come up with a formula for the skin then stick to it for the whole army, but in reality people (and, I guess orcs) have a variety of skin tones. A few that are darker, a few lighter, some a browner or bluer shade, and you'll already be a step ahead of most people who bring orcs to the table.

Regarding Monday, see the Welsh meet thread, but what time does your conference finish?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
The problem is that the cards in Deadzone have painted figures on them and I'm trying to match them as closely as possible. If not, the brutal criticism of 11-13 year olds will head in my direction....

I will check the Welshmeet.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
A couple of Super Dungeon Explore pets.  These are Admiral Fuzzybottom and Madam Hilde.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Some bits and pieces from my Dark Angels WH40K army.  A Rhino tank, a Company Master, and a Librarian.