Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vision On. Painting and stuff with Tony Felthartmonkey.  (Read 12166 times)

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
More blue stuff:

Offline Prole

• Administrator
  • Empirical
  • Nunc tempus est ut terrore
    • MSN Messenger - Prole
    • View Profile
    • Email
You must have had an awful lot of blue paint to get rid of...

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
If you could give me some painting tips in a handy format, what would they be? My missus (officially still my GF but you get the point) is keen to have a go at painting the figures that came with the Fallout game, she has never painted figures although she is an amazing drawing, painter, artist type in general compared to most so confident she'd do a good job regardless, but she is one of those 'I wont start painting them till you've researched everything types'.

Offline feltmonkey

• Empirical
  • i'm a disgrace.
    • View Profile
Youtube is your friend.  There are a mind-boggling amount of tutorial videos out there, and many of them are excellent.  For me, the best tutorials out there, which will teach a technique that requires a fait bit of patience but is almost guaranteed to give good results is Sorastro's painting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu5Pmz1wY-NWCYy21vikKAg

His basic method is the one I still tend to default to.  Prime the miniature, block in the base colours, wash the areas with washes appropriate to the colour, then reapply the basecoats leaving the recesses shaded, and add highlights in a number of thin coats to create a smooth gradient, followed by some clever little finishing touches, eg a touch of gloss varnish over any glass lenses, or a bit of simple weathering.  Later videos introduce more advanced techniques like wet-blending (where you blend together two colours on a miniature to create that same gradient) in such a well-explained way that make it seem easy.

Warhammer TV is also very good, particularly for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdh3MTrFq3sXlB4ct8B-Fg

They have a more simple, but also very effective technique which makes use of edge highlighting, where you essentially paint around the edges of everything to create a highlight rather than doing any blending.  The main guy who does it, Duncan, is a cult hero in painting circles.  There are flaws to the way they teach you to paint, in my opinion though.  There's no mixing of paints, they always tell you to use this or that GW paint exactly as it comes out the pot rather than mixing anything.  This is a good idea if you're planning to paint an army and want everything to look uniform, but it's a bit restrictive.  There's also no attempt at blending or creating a gradient from light to dark, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view.  I'm also not sure on their take on edge highlighing, either.  GW are the masters of the technique generally, but these videos would have you going round each edge, when I personally reckon it's a better idea to only highlight the top edges of everything, assuming the light is coming from above.

Kujo painting is another good one -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyMPU99KvmxIMkD8NZQu1tA

This guy is a pretty great painter, and he has loads of short videos showing off how to do particular things, such as painting skin or even a tarten kilt. 

Finally, Three Colours Up on the Beasts of War channel is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLPg2stVh34&index=86&list=PL054807AF24EFBA17

There's a whole playlist, but that video is about colour theory.  He is a fantastic painter, and makes some very interesting points. 

Most of these videos pretty much also double as ASMR as well if that appeals.  Many painting videos do, actually.  Not the ones by Next Level Painting - they're generally pretty irritating and shouty, and the guy calls all his painting tips "hacks" like some kind of Buzzfeed list. 

Some more general tips I can give you myself are:

Remember to prime your models.  The paint will stick to them much better if you do.  You can get cans of spray primer in model shops.  Make sure the one you get is for acrylic paints.  When priming with a can, be really cautious.  Don't get too close to or spray too much paint on the models or you'll swamp them and turn them into featureless blobs. 

Thin your paints.  Don't use paint straight out the pots.  Always thin them down a bit, that way the paint will flow better and not obscure details.  It's always better to use two thin coats than one big thick one, even if it takes longer.

Get a good brush.  Kolinsky sable is generally accepted as the best.  A few different sizes is the best way to go.  Rosemary & Co's Series 22 are a great combination of excellent quality and not too bad price.   https://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-kolinsky-designer  Get the short-handled ones - the long-handled are about two foot long.  This is a slight exaggeration, but the ones I bought by mistake certainly felt that way when I was trying to use them.  I kept poking myself in the ear.  A size 0, 1, and 2 will do you very well.

Be patient.  This is obvious, but no-one takes this up and can immediately paint like Mike McVey.  Following a good tutorial on a specific miniature will often get you results much better than you would have expected though.  This is because there are basic techniques that actually make this a lot easier than it looks.  Patience is, in my opinion based on my own painting, more important than talent.  I don't have talent, so I make up for it by going really slowly.

I'd be happy to give more specific advice if your gf is serious about doing some painting.  I reckon she will do well without my advice though.  If she has a steady hand, good brush control, and a good eye for colour she's already most of the way there anyway.  It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the tutorials out there are actually designed to mitigate a prospective miniature painter's lack of artistic talent.  Perhaps I could help out with some specific bits and pieces I've picked up when she gets to particular areas, such as a good way to paint eyes or helmet lenses, or some cool weathering techniques.

One last thing - post up pictures of the results!  :D