Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dungeons & Dragons
« Topic Start: January 19, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
I just took delivery of a daft ebay bargain:

God knows why no-one else was bidding on it. The books are both pristine and either one in much worse condition would usually sell for twice what I paid. And this is a first printing!

I don't expect to be running it any time soon but it's a great box to have in my collection. For those who don't know, this is the Basic D&D set from 1981. It's the first half of the B/X rules which a lot of people would tell you is the best edition of D&D. I don't know about that, but it certainly hits a sweet spot for having everything you need to run fantasy adventures without becoming too convoluted.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
Re: Dungeon's & Dragons
« Reply #1: January 19, 2016, 08:56:04 AM »
Actually, I've just realised this is a place to ask.

My partner's daughter got REALLY into D and D at a local school club, but she can no longer attend. It's been ages since I've run anything DnD wise. Her mother (my partner) and sister, are both really curious as to what DnD even is, so I suggested I could run an hour/2 hour intro game. But.... I'd like it to be light, quick (so no hanging around for ages doing character sheets) and based around something encapsulated that could be done and dusted in an hour or two. Like a murder mystery or something. Light on dice rolling too, but more showing the imagination and teamwork aspect of the game. If there was a map, or visual aid that could be used, then that would be good too.

I should say, while I am pretty good at DMing, I do generally find DnD fairly skin crawlingly awkward, so this will probably be a one off (but I promise to put my heart and soul into it).

Any ideas?

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2: January 19, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
You have plenty of options. There are so many versions of D&D and so many scenarios it's silly.

You probably want to stick with Basic D&D or one of the OSR (Old School Revival) games based on it. Character generation takes fifteen minutes and the rules amount to: Hitting things/Rolling Damage/Casting Spells/Saving Throws/Reaction Rolls. You are probably playing more involved boardgames.

As for the scenario, there are so many out there that there must be something good for you, the problem is going to be finding one which is fairly brief. If you have a clear idea of what you want to do you might be better just throwing something together yourself. I'll send you some pdfs which might be what you are after.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #3: January 19, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
I think I'd like something that wasn't heavily fantasy based (like saving the power orb of N'thurgril from D'kluk'fggghttr) but was something based in a small self contained location/locations and was something relatable. A murder mystery sounds good, maybe set in a mansion? Or perhaps an item retrieval from a small dungeon.

I don't mind character sheets, but I don't want to be fucking about with thousands of skills. Ideally 3 players, each with a role to play - fighter, rogue, wizard maybe.

Something I can read and prep for fairly quickly. Again, I don't want a world dripping in lore. So something people are already familiar with (maybe this could be set in modern day, in London? I dunno) which doesn't require long-winded descriptions.

Something that's less about hitting things and more about solving puzzles in a room by room basis, with some overarching aim.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #4: January 19, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
Also, remove the apostrophe in the thread title. It's giving me a facial tic.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #5: January 19, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »
Well I've sent you Beyond The Wall and Into The Odd to look at, if they aren't right tell me why and I'll find something else.

You are still using the dyi email address aren't you?

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #6: January 19, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
I like them both. Printing out now - many thanks. Could be just the ticket!

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 19, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
I'd suggest the 5th edition red box. Also I'd suggest watching Critical Roll - it's a youtube thing where voice actors play DnD - they put a lot of effort into their characters, and the GMing is brilliant.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #8: January 19, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
I'm a definite 5e convert, and the starter set (is that the red box?) has a prewritten adventure and premade characters, so as long as you have an idea of the mechanics and terminology, you should pretty much be able to take it out of the box and start the game.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9: January 19, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »
I'd suggest the 5th edition red box. Also I'd suggest watching Critical Roll - it's a youtube thing where voice actors play DnD - they put a lot of effort into their characters, and the GMing is brilliant.

I did think of that but I have neither read nor played it so I didn't want to risk suggesting it. I guess it has the advantage that it comes with dice.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 19, 2016, 01:25:51 PM »
I'm a definite 5e convert, and the starter set (is that the red box?) has a prewritten adventure and premade characters, so as long as you have an idea of the mechanics and terminology, you should pretty much be able to take it out of the box and start the game.

That's what the red box is, yes. Red box is the nickname for 'starter set.'

http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

srsly this

Offline Hapimeses

• Empirical
  • Hah-pim-ess-eez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hapimeses.com/
    • Email
« Reply #11: January 19, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »
Yup, we have the Starter Set. It does everything you need, and acts as a perfect springboard should you want more. It's also not too expensive. Amazon has it for £14.44, but it's likely cheaper elsewhere if you look around.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12: January 19, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »
So those of you who play D&D 5th, tell me about it. What do you like about it? Why did you upgrade?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #13: January 19, 2016, 05:08:18 PM »
It's less technical than 2e (my first experience), and less videogame-y then 4e (my second).

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #14: January 19, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
4e had a big emphasis on combat, from what I remember - or maybe that's just our DM. There were a lot of maps with 5' grids on them though, which seemed to encourage looking at everything like it was an XCOM level.