Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #15: January 19, 2016, 05:58:35 PM »
4e had a big emphasis on combat, from what I remember - or maybe that's just our DM. There were a lot of maps with 5' grids on them though, which seemed to encourage looking at everything like it was an XCOM level.

Yeah, that's 4e all right. I gave up on D&D years ago because 2e was just a mess of too many rules. 3e was just horrible. When 4e came out I wasn't looking for new games to play and I tend to prefer running lighter games anyway. And then I just haven't gotten around to reading 5e yet.

I am however very much enjoying investigating all of the OSR games based on 0e and Basic.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #16: January 19, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
I'd suggest the 5th edition red box. Also I'd suggest watching Critical Roll - it's a youtube thing where voice actors play DnD - they put a lot of effort into their characters, and the GMing is brilliant.

I lasted about 10 minutes, it made me physically sick.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 20, 2016, 12:34:57 AM »
I saw a Critical Roll with Vin Diesel, it was amazing.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18: January 20, 2016, 01:34:28 AM »
I saw a Critical Roll with Vin Diesel, it was amazing.

Was that Critical Roll? It was OK. Vin had a nice chair.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 20, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »
I dunno, he was also with some voice actors like Laura Bailey (and Jessica Chobot who is...a presenter, I guess?) and the DM was amazing like Luscan said, so I'm assuming it is.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 20, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
I'd suggest the 5th edition red box. Also I'd suggest watching Critical Roll - it's a youtube thing where voice actors play DnD - they put a lot of effort into their characters, and the GMing is brilliant.

I lasted about 10 minutes, it made me physically sick.

oh god attractive, cool nerds having a fun time *vomits everywhere*

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #21: January 20, 2016, 07:12:44 PM »
I'll watch boardgames being played - I like Tabletop - but watching a group play DnD is just awful. Creeps me out.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 20, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »
Vin Diesel getting legit excited about rolling a critical made me happy. :o

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23: February 10, 2016, 05:20:08 AM »
I'm trying out Critical Role. They really are revelling in the clichés of cheesy fantasy.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24: April 21, 2016, 12:36:05 PM »
I'm trying out Critical Role. They really are revelling in the clichés of cheesy fantasy.

I am now up to episode 15, so about 50 hours? It's definitely worth a watch but you have to be prepared to put a bit of time into it. After you get to know the characters, and the players, it's a lot of fun to watch. Well, listen to anyway. I stick it on in the background and listen while I'm working or folding washing of something.

Critical Role seems to work because it is genuinely nine friends having a laugh playing a D&D campaign that they are genuinely invested in. On top of that though, they have the Geek&Sundry studio so it is easy to follow for the viewers and they are all trained voice actors so they are easy to listen to, they know how to keep the flow going and avoid talking over each other.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 21, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »
I have seen two episodes but one was a Vin Diesel special(?), I think it's worth watching to see the awesome DM.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 20, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
Played my first session of 5th Edition last night with a really great group in Dundee. They meet weekly and there's about 25 of them. Split up into groups, every group contributing to a central story. Neat stuff.

The major downside is I kind of want to buy a tiefling mini....

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27: May 20, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
That's hardly a major downside. Sounds like a lot of fun. Will you be going back?

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 20, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »
Yes. It's a drop in/drop out thing. You make a character, show up, and you get dropped in an adventure.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29: September 06, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »
I am now two sessions into my new campaign and having a blast.

I'm using a set of rules called WhiteHack which is based off of the original edition of D&D from the Seventies. It mixes things up by allowing players to create their character's species and magic or reality bending abilities on the fly in play.

My players took this to heart and ended up generating the following:
 - A Crouching Tiger/anime style Sword Dancer (Human)
 - A Portal Mage who can basically do anything you see in the Portal videogames and also open portals to other dimensions. (Gnoll)
 - A mage who can speed up and slow down time and read minds. (5ft Velociraptor)
 - A small green mystic druid who can influence people's minds, use Telekinesis and heal people. (Whatever Yoda is)

I then set this rabble loose in the fairly grim Deep Carbon Observatory adventure. It opens in a recently flooded town with people to rescue, thieves to stop and a small cult of cannibals to discover. Inventive and unexpected use of their various magics has so far seen them through, along with some very lucky dice rolls on the part of the Sword Dancer when he decided to take on the 13 cannibals all on his own. I don't think anyone expected him to survive.