Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 6411 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #30: November 03, 2016, 05:56:29 PM »
Here's a couple of brief play reports from my DCO game. The dice made session 7 quite special.

Session 6
That's another session of Whitehack/Deep Carbon Observatory down. The players neutralised two Crows tonight (that's Crows, not crows...) so it was a productive evening for them, unfortunately one of my players fumbled an attack roll and killed one of the other PCs.

So the group no longer has a Gnoll Portalmancer. It's a shame that he died before he managed to find the Elemental Plane of Leeches, but his last task was to drop the corpse of a15ft squid on an NPC so he will be fondly remembered.

His replacement PC is a Strong Illithid Swordsman. So that will be interesting!?

Session 7
Session 7 of Whitehack, Deep Carbon Obervatory last night. Minor spoilers are unavoidable, so don't read if you hope to play someday.

We started by equipping the new Illithid Swordsman PC with some magical spoils from his previous adventuring. His player made a couple rolls of a table of magical stuff I wrote and managed to avoid anything obviously cursed. Interestingly, he acquired a +1 Sword of Law which neatly explained why this mindflayer is above ground fighting evil monsters rather than underground being an evil monster.

The players decided that the best thing to do would be to quickly head North. So they went East to explore a town they had heard some bad things about. This went well, they did indeed find expected badness (I'm trying to avoid spoilers, DCO really deserves it), and they proceeded to throw rhyming couplets at her because they had heard she didn't like them. Unexpected, but an awful lot of fun. It's a shame none of them had chosen to play a Bard.

The ensuing fight took us almost to midnight so I had to call it a day mid-fight, but not before a little bit of randomly generated awesome happened:

The Illithid swordsman had his soul replaced with that of a long dead Chaotic Illithid murderer. He had to re-roll his Int, Wis and Cha. The purpose here was to turn one of the PCs against the group, however neither this GM nor the DCO text had considered the presence of the Sword of Law. The Chaotic Illithid Murderer soul entered the body holding the sword and was immediately turned Lawful. I decided to give Dave a week to figure out how he wants to roleplay that one.

Oh also, if you suspect you might be up against something immune to most conventional forms of damage, remember to prepare your lightning miracles...?

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: November 03, 2016, 07:45:43 PM »
I ran some Shadowrun anarchy recently.

's good.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32: November 04, 2016, 03:19:56 AM »
I ran some Shadowrun anarchy recently.

's good.

Cool, tell us more!

I haven't played Shadowrun since the Ninties, one of my D&D players runs a SR 3rd game each week though.

Am I right that Anarchy uses the FU system? It's good to hear that it works either way.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: November 04, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »
Anarchy is a rules light, narrative focus alternative to 5e.

Shadowrun is one of the most crunchy mainstream systems out there - There's a lot of options available to players across a lot of books and a lot of versions. It's got a great setting but the difficulty level of getting into them means that it's really limited in terms of appeal. Anarchy focuses more on the setting and the characters rather than the crunch. The core book comes with 30 pre-genned characters and rules to make your own Shadowrunner and just about everything in 5e is covered here - deckers, riggers, technomancers, street samurai are all represented here. The core stats are boiled down to a much more manageable number. You make your character, you give them their stats, you buy them their 'shadow amps' (a new Anarchy thing which is anything that they have that makes them better - physical adept powers, magic, cyberware are all Shadow Amps), you give them their cues (narrative things that make them tick - an elf might have 'you just don't get Sparithiel, man' or a street samurai might get 'nerves of steel, fists of titanium.') - and you give them certain tags (the same street sam might have 'elf', 'katana', 'impulsive.) They're single words that people can work into their narrations.

Narrations, I hear you say?

Why yes! Every turn is basically played out through narrations. The GM starts the round by giving a brief narration of what's going on. Then players get to go around the table and narrate what they're doing. When you do something that requires a check, you make that check against the GM. When you want to do something that changes the story, you can do that just fine. For example, in the game I ran recently we had 2 street samurai that started out working together but eventually got into a contest to see who was the baddest dude. They'd fought to the bottom basement level of an arcology and they'd more or less fought to a point where they were neck and neck.

'The elevator pings and the doors slide open. You've all taken time to reload and ready up for the what's waiting on the other side only to find that there's nothing there. It's strange, given the intensity of Knight Errant enforcers that were on the upper floors that they'd leave the reactor level of the arcology unguarded. Then again, maybe they know something you don't.'

Our decker steps forwards. 'Mythic looks down at her AR deck and begins to nervously and frantically twitch her hand backwards and forwards. To her she's seeing hundreds of readouts giving her information about what's going on.'

'Make a decking check.'

Check passes.

'I think there's a leak in the reactor. We need to get in there, grab the files and get out of here asap.'

Mythic's turn passes.

We had street sam's use 'plot points' to just start bringing MORE bad guys into a fight at one point, just so they could one up each other. It's interesting.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34: November 04, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
That sounds like a lot of fun.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #35: November 04, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
Just played a game of Paranoia.

It was good.

That is all.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: November 04, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »
Just played a game of Paranoia.

It was good.

That is all.

yeah but you would say that, you commie mutant traitor.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37: November 04, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
Dammit, now I want to play some Paranoia.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38: November 17, 2016, 03:03:02 AM »
Here's my write up of the latest two sessions of my WhiteHack/Deep Carbon Observatory game:

My last record of this game left our heroes facing a witch who was immune to most damage. The PCs had a very messy fight with her and her chaotic goons. They killed her the first time by letting the Ilithid PC eat her brains, then when she came back the human swordsman PC leaped onto her back, pushed his arm through the new hole in the back of her head, down her neck, grabbed onto her heart and ripped it out of her. The rules of her immortality/curse state that she can't die the same way twice, I figured that was going to be a new one for her.

At one point they discussed killing her by using the miracle of telekinesis cut off the blood supply to her brain, until Dave reminded them that he had just eaten said brain.

In yesterday's session the PCs finally reached the dam. They took the long way round and approached it from the hillside, a giant stone golem roaring at them from the base of the dam, angry that they had circumvented that particularly lethal encounter. Dave's ilithid, amused by this situation gave the golem the finger. Now, I figured that a stone golem made hundreds of years before probably wouldn't understand the gesture, my dice disagreed and gave me a 2 on the reaction table. The golem started climbing the dam.

Dave prepared for the (HD14) golem.

The other PCs legged it.

Dave waited until it's head peeked over the lip of the wall when it removed one rock-crushing hand from the wall to swing at him, Dave smashed it in the face with all his strength. He rolled a crit. He had a small chance. The golem rolled to save, it only fails saves on a 20, but I gave it disadvantage due to the critical attack. The dice roll 19 and 20, the golem falls to it's death.

3000XP, all for Abster the Ilithid.

In the previous eight sessions combined he had only earned 5299XP!

It was a great lesson in trusting the dice. I really didn't want the golem to kill anyone last night, I just wanted Dave to run away. I considered giving Dave a chance, or a bonus, or having someone or something else come in and save the day or at least distract the thing. But I have stuck true to the dice all the way through the game so far and I left Abster to his rocky fate. Turned out the dice gods had something way cooler in mind.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39: November 17, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »
Also, if you are interested I just wrote a review of Whitehack: My Bolg

And the new Humble Bundle has a large selection of Pathfinder books which may be of interest: Humble Bundle I don't think anyone here runs Pathfinder or D&D 3rd but there is a lot of stuff here that look like it will be useful whatever you are running.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40: November 07, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
I just finished watching the big final fight in Critical Role (Ep114). It was a big long fight, probably not very interesting unless you are already invested, but there was one bit near the end which was pretty special. I could explain it to you but this guy does it better:

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: November 07, 2017, 05:23:05 PM »
Matt Colvile does a lot of things very well.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42: November 07, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
Matt Colvile does a lot of things very well.

He does. I've watched a lot of his video series and while I don't agree with everything he says but he clearly knows what works at his table and he's got a lot of good advice.

I do wish he'd spend more time talking about RPGs other than D&D.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 07, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
Mm. It's his jam though so~

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44: November 08, 2017, 02:04:43 AM »
Mm. It's his jam though so~

Yeah, I know, it's just that that with this resurgence we seem to be heading back to a general misunderstanding that RPG=D&D.