Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dungeons & Dragons
« Reply #90: March 13, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
First PC death in my game last night. I killed him with Love Letter.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: March 13, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
I'm running a tonne of 5E at Deecon this year if people are in Dundee and wanna play. Characters provided, fun assured. I promise I won't even be system mastery grumpy.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #92: March 13, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »
Played my first game ever tonight not as a cleric. It was weird; I got to... attack?

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: March 14, 2018, 06:47:24 AM »
Played my first game ever tonight not as a cleric. It was weird; I got to... attack?

So here's a question. Why have you played naught but clerics for so long?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #94: March 14, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
A few reasons, not least that I like playing clerics, and most other people I've played with want to be the badass monster-slayer, rather than support.

On top of that, I've DMd way more than I've played; the current 5e cleric is basically an update of my 4e cleric.

The weekly session I go to is a homebrew league thing, rather than a campaign, meaning it's a one-shot every time, so that gives the latitude to occasionally try something different. I've rolled a bunch of different characters over the years and just had them sitting there, so I took my zealot barbarian out for a swing.

Sometimes it's nice to just hit things.

Maybe in future my warlock, paladin, or bard will see the light of day, too.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95: March 14, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »
I have a few character concepts that I'd like to play some day. For some reason in my head they are all Basic D&D characters. I must have been feeling particularly imaginative while reading through my B/X books one day.

Ruberg the Magic Using Thief. I realised that with spells like Charm, Sleep, Open, Lock, Invisibility, Teleport and occasionally, Fireball, the Basic Mage would make a significantly better Thief than the Thief. I actually got a chance to try this one out and it worked great.

A Cleric of the Suffering Enlightenments. The Basic D&D Cleric has decent attack potential, excellent armour, low XP and some useful spells, the only thing that holds it back is that it is supposed to be running support and often won't be able to get stuck in to the combat. So what would happen if a Cleric only had Cause Light Wounds and it was against his religion to speed people through their painful healing process?

Domestos the Barbarian. This one's simpler. He kills 99% of everything.

I would also like to play a whole bunch of the 13th Age classes some day. The Wizard and the Rogue especially.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96: March 20, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
I'm running a tonne of 5E at Deecon this year if people are in Dundee and wanna play. Characters provided, fun assured. I promise I won't even be system mastery grumpy.

I was just looking into this, I was thinking it might make a fun day trip for me and Bloodaxe Jnr, but it's the weekend before Conpulsion here in Edinburgh. I'm not sure I can get away with doing two cons in two weeks.

If I did come along, should I come for the Saturday or the Sunday?

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: March 20, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »

I was just looking into this, I was thinking it might make a fun day trip for me and Bloodaxe Jnr, but it's the weekend before Conpulsion here in Edinburgh. I'm not sure I can get away with doing two cons in two weeks.

If I did come along, should I come for the Saturday or the Sunday?

I have no idea about anything else happening there.  I'm going to take it as a pleasant surprise if I find something good. Sunday's are usually better for cons, I've found, because all the exhibitors are still there, but a lot of the students have hangovers so they stay back for a while.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98: March 20, 2018, 01:35:04 PM »

I have no idea about anything else happening there.  I'm going to take it as a pleasant surprise if I find something good. Sunday's are usually better for cons, I've found, because all the exhibitors are still there, but a lot of the students have hangovers so they stay back for a while.

Wise words.