Username: Password:

Author Topic: Edge of the Empire (Star Wars RPG)  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Edge of the Empire (Star Wars RPG)
« Topic Start: January 25, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
For a couple of months now I have been running very fun weekly Star Wars campaign for some friends using this game. Edge of the Empire is one of FFG's three Star Wars RPGs, this one focuses on the people you find in the Outer Rim of the Star Wars galaxy at the time of the Rebellion. The other two are Age Of Rebellion which gives you everything you need to run games focused on the military side of the era, and Force and Destiny which provides everything you need for users of the force (but not Jedis, because they are all dead).

I also ran another session of Edge of the Empire for Bloodaxe Jnr and his friend yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure if it would hold their attention but they both had a great time and we ended up playing for three hours.

Edge of the Empire and it's sister games are fairly infamous for the weird dice which are unique to these games. Whenever you perform a risky action you roll a bunch of different dice, some good, some bad, and they give you a selection of different symbols representing successes, failures, threats, advantages and good old criticals and fumbles.
(click to show/hide)
Some people love these dice because with a single roll they will tell you if you passed as well as how well you passed and also if something else good or bad happened. For example, yesterday my players were fighting some gamoreans in a cantina, one of them tried to shoot a gamorean with his blaster but he missed. He did however roll a couple of advantages and decided that his blaster shot had blown out a window giving them an escape route.

Some people really don't get on with the dice because a roll takes a bit longer and it kind of forces you to keep on coming up with interesting unexpected benefits and complications. I wasn't sure about the system at first but now that I have played it a fair bit I am really starting to love it.

So, if you want something a bit different, and very Star Warsy, to play with either your kids or your friends, this is well worth a look.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
Re: Edge of the Empire (Star Wars RPG)
« Reply #1: January 25, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
I had a look at the book for this, but just found it immensely confusing. Maybe I'll have to have another go.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #2: January 25, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
I played a couple of sessions of this; I was R9-47, a droid bodyguard whose master had been killed and I was out for revenge. I liked the emphasis, in character creation, on coming up with a back story for your character and the fact you had to include a bunch of hooks that the GM could use later to send each character on their own side quests.

The dice were indeed intimidating at first, but they did help assuage some of the problems I've had with d20 games, where abject failure is just as likely as critical success (a mechanic I've always had difficulty reconciling with a setting where I'm supposed to be at least a vaguely competent warrior).

I wish we'd had more opportunities to play it, but real life got in the way for a couple of people and the group just kind of fizzled out. It was an interesting game (though I remember it being very dry and technical in a lot of ways) and we didn't get very far in the story. I remember shooing up a cantina and stealing a ship from a bounty hunter who'd come looking for one of our party in a daring firefight.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3: January 25, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »
I had a look at the book for this, but just found it immensely confusing. Maybe I'll have to have another go.

There is definitely an issue with everything in the main rulebook being massively over explained. I wanted to re-read the combat chapters before starting again after Christmas and I soon realised that the two chapters (character combat and ship combat) came to 50 pages. The Beginner Box comes with a rulebook with explains how the dice work, character abilities, both types of combat and a clear and detailed explanation of what roleplaying is and how to do it, and it is only about 45 pages in total.

The main rulebook(s) is/are fine if you are prepared to sit down and read all 400 pages of them but if you just want to jump in a figure them out as you go (as I did) then you may well just faceplant into all of that text.

The daft thing is that it really isn't all that complex, just a bit more narrative-based than most games.

Aniki is right that the rules can seem a bit dry at times. Characters can buy up all sorts of talents related to their class which will provide a bonus (or more often negate a penalty) in certain circumstances. Also there is loads of equipment to choose from and it can all be modified and upgraded. I'm playing it as written for now but I could see myself respectively dropping and simplifying these aspects next time I run a game because they don't exactly add much to the game.

Then again, I guess that in a longer campaign you would all soon figure out which talents matter and ignore the rest and after you've all got your equipment sorted after your first decent job you probably wont be digging through the equipment lists very often.

One other thing: The books are gorgeous and the content is always great (if wordy).

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 25, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »

The dice were indeed intimidating at first, but they did help assuage some of the problems I've had with d20 games, where abject failure is just as likely as critical success (a mechanic I've always had difficulty reconciling with a setting where I'm supposed to be at least a vaguely competent warrior).

well, if Han hadn't fluffed his stealth roll in Jedi they'd never have met the Ewoks and...

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5: February 09, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
We had a fantastic session of this last night.

We opened with the two combat characters having been captured, knocked out and tied up in the hulk of a huge crashed ship by furry tree octopuses. The pilot and engineer decided to mount a rescue, to their credit they knew that they didn't have a chance of shooting their way in (and out), so they decided they were going in on their cargo trolley.

This trolley had been modified to have a protective cage on it (kind of like a shark cage) to stop Nexu from eating them. The bars would certainly stop a space tiger, good only knows why they thought it would stop a carnivorous octopus reaching in and crushing the life of of them.

One of the combat players stated paying attention just as they were being surrounded by curious, hungry octopuses, he pointed out the obvious as soon as they explained what they were doing. The look on their faces was wonderful.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6: April 21, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
One of my four players is having to leave my group for the duration of the impending season of Game of Thrones (He and his girlfriend have to watch it on it's broadcast night or their workmates spoil everything the next day) so I'm having to put my Star Wars game on hold for a bit.

It's a shame because we've all been having a lot of fun with it and it was starting to accelerate towards some sort of climax.

Even after ten sessions I still feel like I'm learning new and interesting ways to use the weird dice. I almost never roll for anything now, it's pretty much just the players initiating the rolls and I have been trying to make each roll cover more so that the players are rolling fewer times overall. This seems to help when the players roll a bunch of consequences because they don't feel so bad picking up those negative effects when they are achieving more with the roll overall.

All of my players have asked that I continue the game after Stuart returns to the group and they have asked that I carry on with the campaign after we finish the published scenario, which is kind of reassuring me that I am running a good game (there's always the worry that my players are just being polite...)

Now I am preparing a D&D(ish) game about demigods on a beach to run for ten weeks.

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7: May 23, 2017, 05:54:17 AM »
When my D&D game finished we went back to Star Wars: Edge Of The Empire. Mostly the same characters as the above campaign, still set somewhere between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

I was running it last night and I am pleased to say that my decision to run a space-sandbox is really beginning to pay off. Seven neighbouring planetary systems, various commercial, political and criminal interests all in the mix and a bunch of different ways for the crew of the Wayward Star to get involved.

So far they have:
- Tried to track down some old friends from their days of smuggling force sensitive types out of the Empire,
- Helped a down-on-his-luck entrepreneur called Shika who has lost his small star port business to criminals,
- Accidentally stolen some food from a human settlement,
- Completed a surprisingly complete and professional geological survey of one of the local systems.
- Helped some human refugees find a new home,
- Sampled the Socorran liquor Zhajira,
- Tried to get addicted to a sea-sickness cure made from dried seaweed,
- Had a shoot out with some bounty hunters,
- Found themselves wondering where their old astromech got a stun grenade
- Found themselves, unexpectedly, in the home of Matagora the Hutt.

I could have happily kept going after four hours last night and next Monday seems a very long way away.

It's nice to have some grade-a escapism when the real world is so fucking awful.?