Username: Password:

Author Topic: Street Fighter V  (Read 2100 times)

Offline JDubYes

• Empirical
  • Mower of toast
    • View Profile
Re: Street Fighter V
« Reply #15: February 18, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »
If anyone was contemplating buying one of the new Mad Catz fightpads, then for the love of god don't. I got mine last night and the d-pad is so bad that I'd rather just use the DS4, even with all the buttons in the wrong place for Street Fighter, than have to use that again.

The buttons weren't too bad (though having two R1 and R2 buttons occasionally messes with my brain a bit), but the d-pad seems so weird, imprecise and floaty that I was struggling to get fireball motions off every time, let alone do anything else. Oh, and if the addition of the analogue stick didn't already seem weird enough, then putting it close enough to the d-pad that it's possible to accidentally hit it while playing is a stroke of (not) genius.

I was looking for positives, and the closest I came was that it'd made me try Bison a bit more (because of the aforementioned input issues), but that in itself is a bad sign - he may be the character I'd most like to use in an ideal world, but I'm generally terrible with charge characters, so he was never realistically likely to be my first main.

I might give the pad one last chance tonight, but I think it's probably going back. I'd actually rather play something else/with the DS4, and maybe buy (and learn how to use) a stick at some point in the future, than persevere with it I think. The SFIV one wasn't great, but it was still better (and prettier) than this, and I'll continue to be pissed off that mine disappeared during my last move.

Oh well. maybe now I'll just play the copy of BlazBlue Chronophantasma my gf got me for Christmas, then rejoin the fray once I have a decent peripheral or some solo content to play. I was quite looking forward to this this week, but it's all been a bit of a downer for me on the SFV front. A shame, because the gameplay itself is obviously really, really good even after what little I've played.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: February 18, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »
I really need to get to grips with a stick for this, Karin has a lot of inputs that I try to get out too fast and do something else, like Just Frame Tenko or her Critical Art ('Super').

Anyway, this game is amazing, I think I already like it better than SFIV, for one, it's faster and feels more fluid, secondly the lack of Focus Dash Cancel shenanigans is a load off my mind and Normals seem to be more important, sweeps are less safe...

Just had a few games and the best thing about it is...it's back, it's good to have it back, the comebacks and clutch wins, learning combos for hours and nailing it, I love it.

Welcome back Street Fighter.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #17: February 18, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »
I played very briefly at lunchtime today - a burst of five ranked matches - and it's lovely. God knows how I managed to win four of them, I must have been matched against some real scrubs. But yes, what a wonderful entry in the series. Very accessible.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: February 18, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
I hadn't followed this so the new system changes from SFIV were new to me until my bro explained them today, no chip damage and counter crushes (some attacks when used to counter can get new combos, basically).

The no chip damage thing is brilliant, it stops fireball users spamming projectiles, they've weakened the strength of fireballs but not completely ruined them in the way I think Street fighter 3 did, also means there's more comeback potential and more hype in matches because you know you can't win with a shitty little crouch jab if they just block it.

I think it's definitely more immediatley accessible than SFIV, yeah, they made a point to do just that with this game. I believe the aim was to make it feel that when you were losing it wasn't for the wrong reasons if that makes sense. Also, no 1 frame links (Karin's 'Just Frame' Tenko isn't a true 1 frame link) for simpleb read and butters and things like that, all thism eans that before character individuality comes into it it already feels more fun to play. (not that I'm throwing SFIV under the bus...)

Trying out Ryu earlier, used his V-Skill to parry a jump in, I can't do that as Karin, actually Karing has pretty lousy anti airs, so even though Ryu obviously has the Shoryuken which I assume is still a godlike anti air like always, the new system feature (V Skill and V-Trigger) means every character has a 'thing'. My brother was trying Ken and telling me his rushdown, aggressive playstyle is crazy and that he's now almost totally different to Ryu, his V-Skill is a little dash in with some followups attached to stay the fuck on the opponent at all times and his V-Trigger adds fire to his specials giving them new properties.

Can't wait til' we get new characters and that the one I wanted most (after Karin) is the first we're getting. (Alex from SF3 :D)

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: February 18, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »
Has anyone tried this on the PS4 using a PS3 arcade stick?  They do, apparently, work.

I'm slowly veering from "not getting this" towards "may get it when it has some actual content".  Super Street Fighter V in about a year's time, anyone?

That said, the PC version is less than £25 already and has cross-play with the PS4.  That's actually quite tempting, especially as I have an Xbox 360 arcade stick that works on the PC...

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 18, 2016, 03:25:32 PM »
I don't understand the content issue really, if you had a regular friend to play with a lot you wouldn't even care. And now Online play is a thing (No 8 man lobbies yet though and it's very connection dependent) you sorta' have that 24/7...

I know that people who don't like online roulette or whatever are shit out of luck, but sadly, fighting games are pretty much only multiplayer IMO. Is anyone seriously narked that the Mortal Kombat style story mode isn't available yet?

The characters thing is another story, I'm hearing reports that Fight Money could be a bit of a grind if you want to earn them that way...but I think we have a decent quantity/quality of fighters already.

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: February 20, 2016, 08:06:13 AM »
I enjoyed this side-by-side comparison of Street Fighter IV and V on Eurogamer:

! No longer available

I'm surprised how much better SFV actually looks. I thought they looked pretty much the same from screenshots.  Dhalsim in particular looks fantastic.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: February 21, 2016, 05:19:48 AM »
Mortal Kombat story mode was good in the sense that it forced you to play as different characters, having been out the game for so long it was a good reintroduction. So I understand that Capcom wouldn't necessary have to put as much work into something like that as they are probably very few new players joining this.

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 01, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »

That said, the PC version is less than £25 already and has cross-play with the PS4.  That's actually quite tempting, especially as I have an Xbox 360 arcade stick that works on the PC...

Ah... this is probably a bad time to ask if you'd give it back then

Poop!

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 01, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »
It's yours! I'm just looking after it for you (admittedly for the last decade or so). You can absolutely have it back, and that sounds like a good excuse to meet up for a beer as well if you ask me.

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #25: March 01, 2016, 10:56:07 AM »
And there's me, in London on Thursday afternoon with some time to kill… :D

Offline statusjones

• Empirical
  • hipster tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 01, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »
Thursday? perfect... were it not for parents evening (so unless you want me ruin things by bringing the kids)

some time over Easter though?

Offline Garwoofoo

• Legend
  • Not Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: February 26, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »
Anyone still playing SFV then? I decided to take the plunge in the end, now the Arcade Edition has ensured it actually has plenty of content, and I’m very impressed. My PS3 stick works perfectly, it’s all really accessible and the roster is quite frankly overwhelming. I’m genuinely surprised how many characters I don’t recognise at all (whether they are new to this iteration or from previous SF games like Third Strike that I’ve never played, I couldn’t say).

I’m still hopeless at it - obviously - though I think the fact I’ve played so much Super Smash Bros over the last few months has improved my fighting game skills a bit, I’m certainly more cautious and defensive than I used to be. Anyway, it looks like fun.

Offline Alastor

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: February 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
I still haven't tried Blanka. >_<

Offline martTM

• Empirical
  • Real men play Spencer
    • View Profile
    • Shoddy Journalism
    • Email
« Reply #29: February 26, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
I have it and all the characters from S1/2 but not the third season pass. Happy to jump on for a game whenever you fancy in the evenings. :)