Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Division  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
The Division
« Topic Start: February 15, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »

The Division's open beta is running this weekend, though I'll be out of town; hoping I'll get a decent remote play connection, though.

I wasn't initially a huge fan, but after adjusting my expectations a bit*, I started to really get into it, and I've been really itching to play more since the previous beta ended.

It helps that they're adding to what was present in the earlier closed beta session, including increasing the number and difficulty of enemy NPCs in the Dark Zone, and opening up another campaign mission which will allow access to a second wing of the player base.

It'll be interesting to see how well this does, especially given the current level of vocal community dissatisfaction with go-to closest-comparison Destiny*.

*Things only really clicked for me in The Division when I saw someone somewhere describe it as an "RPG first, shooter second" approach, rather than Destiny, which has its priorities reversed. A such, The Division has less punchy gunplay, but it's also much clearer about what its stats are - and what effect they have on your character - than Destiny's more vague, numberless bars.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: The Division
« Reply #1: February 15, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »
I got this on PC. I hope it does not suck.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #2: February 15, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »
Certainly I had fun with it, and everyone I know on Facebook who played it came out the other side a fan. Having said that, I loved Grim Fandango, so what the fuck do I know?

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 16, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
So could I download this and play as part of the beta this weekend? I have no football and no plans so I wouldn't mind wasting my weekend doing this!

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 16, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »
Certainly I had fun with it, and everyone I know on Facebook who played it came out the other side a fan. Having said that, I loved Grim Fandango, so what the fuck do I know?

You know good world building, interesting characters and great music hampered by archaic development practices, half assed remasters and a chronic good-world, shit-game syndrome :v:

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #5: February 17, 2016, 09:08:43 AM »
Open Beta is preloadable now, if anyone's interested.

PS4 | XBone | PC

EDIT: Added links.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 20, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »
Just finished a near 5 hr stint on the beta! Loving this, the world has an almost zombie apoc/walking dead style anarchy to it so it clicked with me within about 5 minutes, unlike  Destiny which I couldn't get into at all, the cover based gameplay seems very solid and I liked that the base was 'my base' which suits my miserable anti social style personality. I just spent an hour or two in the dark zone too, pretty tense stuff as there is loads of pricks and I was soloing, but I got some good loot extracted still.

I couldn't figure out how to make peoples chat come through the headset though so it seems to have some kind of auto proximty that was entirely through the speakers, so maybe headcomms is reserved for party chat?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #7: February 20, 2016, 11:04:53 AM »
Yeah, headset is for party chat. Proxy chat is for eavesdropping on groups of potential foes in the Dark Zone.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #8: February 20, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »
I can't tell if I like this or not. I know it's a beta, but it still feels... unfinished, somehow. Like there's some part of the design missing that otherwise would've just made it click with me.

Maybe I need to try it with other people, but the solo experience so far has been pretty unexciting.

Where is this Dark Zone? Do I need to have unlocked a story mission to be able to get in? If I die there, what do I lose other than "extracted loot"? What the hell is "extracted loot"?

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #9: February 20, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
The Dark Zone is at the East end of the beta map - should be marked, but it's surrounded by a wall and only accessible through certain gates.

(It's the red bit)

Loot in the Dark Zone is all contaminated, and can't be removed through the gates - it has to be picked up by a chopper at an extraction point for decontamination, then gets delivered to your stash. Issue being, when you call for extraction, it notifies everyone in the Dark Zone, who can then rock up and try and steal your stuff.

It can all get very tense.

EDIT: If you die, you lose any un-extracted loot, and Dark Zone XP, which can sometimes even mean you rank down.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 20, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »
I managed to get a little group of solo people working together earlier, maybe about 6 or 7 of us who were constantly defending one of the extraction points and everybody was continually loading there loot on and fighting off the npc enemies for about 10 mins, as it kept getting swarmed by them.

I also hid at another drop for about 7 minutes before I came off, weaseled away behind some crates in a tent, I saw two guys call the chopper and waited till it was about to cast the line, then deployed a turret, tear gassed and murdered the pair of them before using their called in chopper, then the entire zone came down on me like I was a women in Saudi Arabia that had tried to vote.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #11: February 21, 2016, 03:20:47 AM »
I've only been able to get on for a couple of minutes here and there so far, but I'll definitely be online tonight, if anyone wants to try any half-organised group stuff.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 21, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
Keeping off it today as knew I would get addicted again, having had a look I am not getting it at release. It's out on the 8th and it's our school show that week and we break up for 2 weeks on the 18th and its the start of my subjects exams on the first day back so don't want to get distracted as am going to be busy as shit and with the run up to that week off being crucial, Fallout 4 killed me as I was staying up till 12 playing it and then getting up at 6. So will get it for the easter hols to avoid that, doubt the price will drop in a week but there may be trade in deals on as its school hols too and I had a stack of games I am done with and am trying to get out of my hoarder ways.

Offline cavalcade

• Legend
  • Popty Ping
    • View Profile
    • The doyouinverts
« Reply #13: February 21, 2016, 04:15:55 PM »
Staying up till 12.... easy there Noel Gallagher.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 21, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
Ha, well it's not easy trying to operate on 5-6 hrs sleep and having to be thinking all day etc and working in the evenings ready for the next day whilst trying to fit gaming in too. I ain't a young man and I reckon I get asked at least 400 questions a day during a standard day! Mental pressure brother, mental pressure, am shit at thinking if tired.