Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Division  (Read 3639 times)

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
Re: The Division
« Reply #15: February 22, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »
I'm not sure playing this with other people has improved my opinion of it. Mostly I found that having someone to talk to just made me discuss why the game was failing to entice me.

Part of me wonders if it's because I'm not an American, and have never been to New York; its allegedly faithful recreation of famous landmarks is meaningless because I don't have a pre-existing context. I'm not certain that I've ever seen the inside of Madison Square Garden even in fiction, so battling through its lobby, repurposed into a field hospital, made no impact.

The shooting doesn't help; it's about 90% of the way to satisfying, but compared to Destiny requires you to be more precise than is really feasible when trying to hit a moving target with a gamepad. I'm not sure if network lag affected my accuracy, but it seemed that a shot even a pixel to the left would miss. Sure, this is a Tom Clancy game and "realism" is the order of the day, but it's just not fun - which is what I'm here for.

The Dark Zone was pretty good, though. I don't feel as cheated missing a shot against a human player, so the shooting wasn't as distracting (and I was avoiding conflict with other players anyway - most of the time). Again, the streets kind of blurred together and I never felt like I was learning landmarks, relying instead on the HUD markers (and Ninchilla) to lead me around. Waiting for extraction is a much tenser affair than I'd been prepared for by the marketing; the promotional footage I remember had a pickup-group rather than a proper party, where one player then betrayed the others as the clock ticked down. In reality, there were up to a dozen paranoid agents hanging around the EZ, waiting nervously for the timer; at about five seconds out everyone who had a turret deployed it as coverage against any rogue players who might use the clustered-together agents as target practice.

Overall I wouldn't say it's convinced me to preorder. Depending on the buzz post-launch I might be convinced to pick it up in a couple of months, but apart from the emergent drama waiting for the extraction chopper the whole thing felt a bit sterile and joyless.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 10, 2016, 02:50:09 AM »
So got this yesterday (I caved) and am loving it, currently sat at my desk thinking about what I want to do this evening. Really really like this, the setting just makes it for me, compared to say Destiny which I never truly got into or bought into the universe on.

My buddy and me did the first 3 base opening missions (2 of which I had previously played) and it's a very borderlands type of feeling playing through with a mate. Was nice working together and setting up perks we had unlocked to play as different classes even though there is no class system, they have got that spot on.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #17: March 10, 2016, 05:53:07 AM »
I've not played nearly as much as I wanted to; didn't have much time last night. Going to give it a proper hammering tonight, though, and see if I can catch aniki up a bit.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • MSN Messenger - getoffamycloud@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 10, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »
im on pc and i saw someone firing a gun that launched cars

guys i think the game might be hacked

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 10, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »
Hacked in what way?

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 10, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
a gun that fires cars is not a standard feature

Offline Brian Bloodaxe

• Legend
  • The natural enemy of giant insects.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21: March 10, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
a gun that fires cars is not a standard feature
It could just be a bug...

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 10, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
Seems they have ramped the darkzone up, am level 7 and was getting killed by enemies and players with 2 or 3 hits as the suggested level was 10-14 and I was in the lowest lvl part I could find.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #23: March 11, 2016, 07:12:41 AM »
Haven't braved the DZ since beta, but I'm level 11 now, so might venture in soon(ish).

I spent most of last night looting apartments in desperate search of a pair of bloody jeans, and have nothing to show for it except thirty pairs of shoes.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 11, 2016, 07:38:26 AM »
Gutted, there is no player trading neither at the moment. Bought a nice AK47 last night, really struggled last night playing solo compared to when I played the night before with my mate. Going to be on this evening though. Loving it.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #25: March 11, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »
It's much, much harder solo; I played the shopping mall mission on my own, and died at least a half-dozen times to the final boss guy; being able to break up and flank is a huge advantage, even with the beefier enemies that you get as a group.

Offline Ninchilla

• Empirical
    • View Profile
    • Ninchilla
« Reply #26: March 11, 2016, 07:11:12 PM »
God, the napalm factory was a bit tough solo... maybe I'm just specced wrong for solo work, but I don't want to give up pulse or heal. Definitely want to play more in a group, but don't know if I dare attempt matchmaking.

Finally got a pair of jeans, though I did cheat a bit - just created a second Agent, who spawned wearing them. Cosmetic gear is account-wide, so a quick relog and I'm now wearing an approximation of clothes I actually own - which is kind of weird, actually.

Offline Luscan

• Empirical
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 15, 2016, 03:22:44 AM »
Anyone else playing on PC here? I have a group that I play with and we're having fun being a group of 8 in the Darkzone and just barging around between encounters and shouting 'Lincoln County Regulators! Put yer hannnnnnnnds in the air cowpoke'

I have hit level 29 and finished most of the main story stuff. Going to finish gathering up the remaining side-missions and whatnot before going back into the DZ  for additional loot based brinksmanship.

Offline big mean bunny

• Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 17, 2016, 05:04:58 PM »
Great game, matchmaking seems to work really well even if no one has voice comms, it has that left 4 dead style 'I want to help' mechanic built into it, can't put my finger on why, but it does. Also they have got the mmo part perfect, others are in the world but they aren't ruining you're immersion at all.

Offline aniki

• Empirical
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
    • the demon download
« Reply #29: March 17, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »
Hit 25 tonight, and finally bought a mask with a decent armour rating when I realised it was 75 points lower than the next worst piece of gear I owned.

I've 100%ed the Tech Wing, but the other two will take a while to collect the 1000 points needed for their final upgrades.

I want to go back and clear up all the Intel from the West side of the map, though - before I unlock more new areas, each with their own forest of icons. I'm not that bothered about the stories the collectibles are telling, but those icons clogging up the (pretty poor) map have got to go.